Big Sam - did we dodge a bullet?

Gaspode

Poor start to his tenure at West Brom and now the PL are investigating after Robert Snodgrass was left out of the West Brom team to play his former club West Ham last night. Allardyce admitted that the purchase had included an agreement that the player wouldn't play in the fixture - despite such an agreement being against PL rules.....sounds as if West Ham put the idea forward but that West Brom were so keen to get the signing done that they agreed to it.

Hopefully both clubs will get hit with a points deducttion - though I suspect as 'good old' West Ham are involved, they'll just get told not to do it again....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Wasn't there a similar agreement between Man Utd and Everton over Tim Howard that was brought to the PLs attention but they didn't see anything wrong with it?

I suspect it was that there was nothing written down.

Don't recall whether a bigmouth manager of one of the clubs blurted it out in public though.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I suspect it was that there was nothing written down.

Don't recall whether a bigmouth manager of one of the clubs blurted it out in public though.

I just can't understand that West Ham are bricking it that much not to allow a 33 year old who hardly gets in their team not to play against them 

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Read about this last night, seems like a very shady transfer. Not really surprising given Allardyce’s record, and West Ham as well. No doubt they’ll get away with it, but it feels like some action should be taken. 3 point deduction for both teams to effectively void the match?

I mean that’s a seriously sweeping statement, for a start I highly doubt managers play a big role in negotiations these days anyway. Plus it was most likely suggested from the West Ham end seeing as it befits them the most. Personally I think it’s much about nothing, they could have just said you can sign the players until after we’ve played you but as a favour to snodgrass for his service they’ve let him go early to get some game time with the caveat he can’t play against them.

13 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I mean that’s a seriously sweeping statement, for a start I highly doubt managers play a big role in negotiations these days anyway. Plus it was most likely suggested from the West Ham end seeing as it befits them the most. Personally I think it’s much about nothing, they could have just said you can sign the players until after we’ve played you but as a favour to snodgrass for his service they’ve let him go early to get some game time with the caveat he can’t play against them.

Maybe not, but it still seems dodgy to me. By the sounds of the BBC article, it’s against the rules.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

But that's the whole point - West Ham are influencing West Brom's team selection (via a shady 'nod and a wink' deal) which is very much against the rules. Once Snodgrass was West Brom's player, West Ham should have absolutely no say over when he's selected. They shouldn't have suggested the agreement and West Brom shouldn't have agreed to it - both appear guilty of breaching one of the core rules of the competition...

Archived