Nobby, Bobby, heading where?

kevinhectoring

The 5Live team were saying last week that concerns about dementia will lead to big rule changes. They were suggesting heading only in the box, lighter balls in training, even head protection 

Some callers said 'no need for changes, the balls were heavier when Charlton, Astle and Stiles were playing ' The experts said, 'no the risk could be higher now, we don't know -  the ball travels faster and players head more often.  And the risk for the leagues of litigation is too high (look at rugby). So the rules will have to change...

Concussion subs seem sensible. But I hope they don't change the game too much. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope something along the lines of a warning in the documents you sign when registering with a league that state.

"This league plays to FA rules, which permit use of the head. Heading the ball is dangerous, and is known to cause neurological issues, all players sign up with this understanding and the league, it's member clubs etc cannot be held liable for any injuries suffered"

Or words to that effect, would mean that people would be able to weigh up the situation and if it's not for them, then they can't play.

Of course it's a serious issue but if the game's rules change because of this then the game ceases to be the game I follow (even more so than currently).

Although a game called football that means that you can only use your foot (and not thigh, chest, shoulder etc) would make more sense from a logical point of view I guess.

18 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I would hope something along the lines of a warning in the documents you sign when registering with a league that state.

"This league plays to FA rules, which permit use of the head. Heading the ball is dangerous, and is known to cause neurological issues, all players sign up with this understanding and the league, it's member clubs etc cannot be held liable for any injuries suffered"

Or words to that effect, would mean that people would be able to weigh up the situation and if it's not for them, then they can't play.

Of course it's a serious issue but if the game's rules change because of this then the game ceases to be the game I follow (even more so than currently).

Although a game called football that means that you can only use your foot (and not thigh, chest, shoulder etc) would make more sense from a logical point of view I guess.

Not something that would hold water, it would be deemed as an unfair condition.  The need to avoid extensive and expensive litigation has impacted elite sport even where the damaged person is a multi millionaire.  Sad but you cant rely on indemnities keeping you out of court these days 

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think the new concussion subs are definitely the right move. We have to make sure we protect players. Just have to ensure that no one abuses the rules, and starts feigning injury.

Can you remember when they introduced blood subs into rugby and some geezer took a blood capsule onto the pitch and when he was knackered, popped it into his mouth so it looked like he was bleeding? 

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can you remember when they introduced blood subs into rugby and some geezer took a blood capsule onto the pitch and when he was knackered, popped it into his mouth so it looked like he was bleeding? 

Yep Quins wasn’t it?

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I don’t watch Rugby, but that’s the sort of anti sportsmanship that I’m worried about. Hopefully there are plans in place to stop that happening.

51 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t watch Rugby, but that’s the sort of anti sportsmanship that I’m worried about. Hopefully there are plans in place to stop that happening.

Don't players already have to miss a set number of days before playing again after a confirmed concussion injury?

Brought off for a concussion injury = miss games over the next 7 days or whatever it is.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Don't players already have to miss a set number of days before playing again after a confirmed concussion injury?

Brought off for a concussion injury = miss games over the next 7 days or whatever it is.

I don’t know, maybe. If that’s the case then that should definitely help things.

12 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

??‍♂️ don’t recall that level of detail. Old age innit. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

reading a book by Bill Ribbans called  'Knife in the Fast Lane: A Surgeon's Perspective from the Sharp End of Sport' and it has a section on Bloodgate that's why I thought you were referring tot he Quins incident.  Also talks about the tricks many (mostly by the French!) do to bend the rules.  Covers boxing and other sports with the longer term effects of concussion.  It is not a technical book on surgery as such more of a life of experiences in the area of impact injuries.  Maybe worth a read if you want a bit more detail, I imagine the boxing stories will be of interest if that is a sport you follow.  On kindle via amazon.

On 17/12/2020 at 00:28, kevinhectoring said:

The 5Live team were saying last week that concerns about dementia will lead to big rule changes. They were suggesting heading only in the box, lighter balls in training, even head protection 

Some callers said 'no need for changes, the balls were heavier when Charlton, Astle and Stiles were playing ' The experts said, 'no the risk could be higher now, we don't know -  the ball travels faster and players head more often.  And the risk for the leagues of litigation is too high (look at rugby). So the rules will have to change...

Concussion subs seem sensible. But I hope they don't change the game too much. 

Yes I can vouch for the much heavier leather case balls. Felt like heading a medicine ball and when they were wet, like heading a brick 

Archived