Plymouth and South West - recommendations, anyone?

Jourdan

My mum has just moved to Plymouth from Derby recently.

I noticed there are a few Rams fans based in the area.

She’s a bit apprehensive as this is her first time living alone and her first time living out of Derby.

Does anyone have any tips on what to see, what to do, and how to meet people and network, once the lockdown is over for example?

I am useless myself - I know more about Spain, Portugal and France than I do about anywhere south of Bristol.

So, yes, if anyone can, please help. ?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My head office used to be in Plymouth so went down there quite a bit on business and got the locals to show me around. 

The Barbican is the main area of Plymouth where most of the bars and restaurants are next to where Sir Francis Drake played bowls allegedly. There's the harbour right next to it as well.

The hotel I stayed in normally was North Plymouth so right on the edge of Dartmoor National Park so there's all the associated activities there. 

A word of warning they all speak funny down there if you've not already noticed. 

I have a good friend in Calstock which is a little village the other side of the Tamar. 

There is a train that runs from Plymouth to Gunnislake and back which is very scenic and 2 of the stops are in beautiful but hilly riverside villages Bere Ferrers and Calstock. The latter is particularly nice and there are flat walks along the river especially to Cotehele? Hall.

You can also get the Cremlyn Ferry over to Edgecombe which has a nice pub, Manor House and parkland.

In terms of Plymouth itself as has been said The Barbican area is full of pubs and restaurants and a good Aquarium.

If you PM what part of Plymouth she is going to be living in and what her interests are my mate (who is 70 but very active in the community) will have some good info for you.

19 hours ago, sage said:

I have a good friend in Calstock which is a little village the other side of the Tamar. 

There is a train that runs from Plymouth to Gunnislake and back which is very scenic and 2 of the stops are in beautiful but hilly riverside villages Bere Ferrers and Calstock. The latter is particularly nice and there are flat walks along the river especially to Cotehele? Hall.

You can also get the Cremlyn Ferry over to Edgecombe which has a nice pub, Manor House and parkland.

In terms of Plymouth itself as has been said The Barbican area is full of pubs and restaurants and a good Aquarium.

If you PM what part of Plymouth she is going to be living in and what her interests are my mate (who is 70 but very active in the community) will have some good info for you.

Thank you, sage!

23 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

My head office used to be in Plymouth so went down there quite a bit on business and got the locals to show me around. 

The Barbican is the main area of Plymouth where most of the bars and restaurants are next to where Sir Francis Drake played bowls allegedly. There's the harbour right next to it as well.

The hotel I stayed in normally was North Plymouth so right on the edge of Dartmoor National Park so there's all the associated activities there. 

A word of warning they all speak funny down there if you've not already noticed. 

Thank you, TD!

• 2 months later...

I worked in Plymouth until I wrote my car off last month(long story) + am Exeter based

Lovely walks on dartmoor, short distance of you travel outside of city centre, rural national park

Tavistock not far which has a smaller town feel

Barbican and hoe are the entertainment areas really. Roborough + Plymstock are nicer areas with local amenities. Plympton is undergoing vast redevelopment as well

Avoid Union Street and Stonehouse areas, it's where the drug dealers and hookers are based predominantly, and there's a halfway house there as well

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

I worked in Plymouth until I wrote my car off last month(long story) + am Exeter based

Lovely walks on dartmoor, short distance of you travel outside of city centre, rural national park

Tavistock not far which has a smaller town feel

Barbican and hoe are the entertainment areas really. Roborough + Plymstock are nicer areas with local amenities. Plympton is undergoing vast redevelopment as well

Avoid Union Street and Stonehouse areas, it's where the drug dealers and hookers are based predominantly, and there's a halfway house there as well

Thanks for the advice!

Archived