The Tenure of Melvyn Morris

Nuwtfly

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's sold the stadium and left us penniless with a threadbare squad. Define safe.

That’s pretty disingenuous. He bought the stadium from the club for a price which the EFL spent thousands to try to prove was too high, for the sole motive of the club being able to spend  more money on players in the quest for the success we all crave. Our academy is arguably the best in Britain thanks to Mel’s vision and investment. That he did not take us to the Premier League was down to poor team selection by Lampard at Wembley and we’ve had some wonderful memories during his tenure. I, for one, will be eternally grateful for his contribution to this club and very sorry to see him go.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Topram said:

Worst mistake was Sam Rush and most fans fell for it aswell, what he did paying tom Inces mum etc was embarrassing 

Wasn’t Sam rush already at the club before Mel took the reigns? In fact I know he was as he appointed stevie Mac. So can’t really blame Mel for him. 

6 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

That’s pretty disingenuous. He bought the stadium from the club for a price which the EFL spent thousands to try to prove was too high, for the sole motive of the club being able to spend  more money on players in the quest for the success we all crave.

What we all craved and what we got were two very different things. Heart in the right place does not equate to being able to fulfil the quest! We are financially and footballing squad-wise worse off post-Mel.

5 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

That’s pretty disingenuous. He bought the stadium from the club for a price which the EFL spent thousands to try to prove was too high, for the sole motive of the club being able to spend  more money on players in the quest for the success we all crave. Our academy is arguably the best in Britain thanks to Mel’s vision and investment. That he did not take us to the Premier League was down to poor team selection by Lampard at Wembley and we’ve had some wonderful memories during his tenure. I, for one, will be eternally grateful for his contribution to this club and very sorry to see him go.

He bought the stadium to do what!  He had to do that to avoid 12 point penalty caused by his inability to run the club properly. Show how the £60m was used to buy new worthwhile players please

2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Wasn’t Sam rush already at the club before Mel took the reigns? In fact I know he was as he appointed stevie Mac. So can’t really blame Mel for him. 

Not blaming him for that more for letting him do what he did for numerous years 

It’s easy with hindsight, ask Sir Keir.

Personally, I’d like to thank Mel for keeping our football club stable. His only regret will be not transforming us into a well established Premier League side. In some ways that is due to not appointing the right manager. He has done wonders for the academy and training facilities, and leaves with a lot of gratitude from me. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What we all craved and what we got were two very different things. Heart in the right place does not equate to being able to fulfil the quest! We are financially and footballing squad-wise worse off post-Mel.

He typifies the successful businessman that has so much self belief he felt candy crush prepared him to run a football club.  It has cost him millions but let’s see what happens with the stadium and training grounds before we shed too many tears.  What stands out most for me was the ridiculous weeping at the disciplinary complaining how beastly rather efl was to him.  True or not that was a weak and embarrassing insight as to how he saw the world.  I am being very tough but all this pity for him is winding me up.  He came, he tried, he failed

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the failures in the play-off finals were all down to Mel, were they? Unfortunately, life sometimes denies success to those who deserve it and gives it to those who don’t.

”fulfil the quest” - this is not Assassin’s Creed. 

8 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

It’s easy with hindsight, ask Sir Keir.

Personally, I’d like to thank Mel for keeping our football club stable. His only regret will be not transforming us into a well established Premier League side. In some ways that is due to not appointing the right manager. He has done wonders for the academy and training facilities, and leaves with a lot of gratitude from me. 

Who is this sirkeir?

if you think we are in a stable position you are easily pleased.  I hope his deal with the new owner includes giving the stadium back, I may change my opinion if it does 

22 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Btw I don’t think he has paid much if anything yet, it was a paper transaction

Yes probably a fair few errors of judgement and some avoidable events. Overall though, most things done in the best interests of the club. There is a also train of thought that being too close to a club can be counterproductive. Personally I would always prefer to have someone who has some real connection with the club, and when Mr Morris took ownership it seemed a good thing for all involved. We are moving from an era of having a trusted owner who didn't always get it right, to a totally unknown entity. No way to even try and predict the outcome. Could be anything from a Fawaz type tenure of chaos at Forest,  to a Leicester City type return to glory. 

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Btw I don’t think he has paid much if anything yet, it was a paper transaction

There is no such thing as a “paper transaction”. Property has to be legally conveyed. If the cash hasn’t passed yet then he has a debt to the club which will be reflected on the club’s balance sheet. I haven’t paid off my mortgage yet but I sure as hell know that I owe it.

Just now, OohMartWright said:

There is no such thing as a “paper transaction”. Property has to be legally conveyed. If the cash hasn’t passed yet then he has a debt to the club which will be reflected on the club’s balance sheet. I haven’t paid off my mortgage yet but I sure as hell know that I owe it.

Context is everything, the claim was that he bought the stadium to fund purchases and my view is that this is untrue.  There is a world of difference between corporate transactions like these and your property.  In this area I am not some bloke on the internet but you are entitled to your opinion

Archived