Knight and Shinnie

Topram

When our focus is on a credible attacking front three we can go four at the back. It is passing the ball around at the back that is the root of the problem. So 433 with Rooney fit and playing well maybe for 65 minutes a game. Give him more coaching influence to keep him happy.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It is passing the ball around at the back that is the root of the problem.

We’re not doing that now. We are hitting long balls and beIng more direct.

56 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Always assuming that we do not go back to it as it was Cocu's Plan of choice

I hope we do pass it a bit more tbh. 

The second half v Forest was very Rowetty. Sit back. Soak up the pressure. Launch it towards mobile forwards. We’re difficult to break down but don’t pose much threat and we are constantly giving the ball away.

the previous over-passing was primarily due to the role of the holding player(S). We saw it with huddz, Rooney, and bird in particular. in the end, teams rumbled us. rooney and bird were even getting caught in possession. Bogle and Lowe also started hitting back passes for no apparent reason. Cocu criticised the players for safe passing and not being brave, so I’m not sure why people think that that is what he wanted. 

In 4231 the midfielders are either defensive or attacking.
In the 343 the centre mids are more tenacious box to box players. It suits proper midfielders.
Shinnie even had two good chances to score. it’s hard to imagine Shinnie turning up in those positions if he played in the previous holding role. 
we see knight breaking out of defence, running 30 or 40 yards with the ball.

I’d rather see that and some combination play with the wing backs than watch Clarke and wisdom keep launching it Rowett style like lower division donkeys.

I think we could get a better balance with Sibley and knight in the middle. It would be like having two Archie Gemmills.

Pass them the ball instead of launching it over their heads! These two aren’t going to fanny about with it. 

We are actually combining longer hopefully accurate balls out of defence with still a good sprinkling of playing out. I like it and of course it keeps the opposition guessing. Because we are not playing out all the time we look pretty good at it when we do it. I'm liking our style of play currently. High hopes in the Pimpernel household. 

The best long range passer is knight, who hits some absolute pearlers. We can be more direct but it depends who is hitting the pass.

the centre backs aren’t glen hoddles. Evans is probably the best passer. The others.....

i can almost hear the voice of Brian clough.
“You cannot play. You give the ball to him. He can play. Your job is to head the ball, thats what I pay you for“.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

I hope we do pass it a bit more tbh. 

The second half v Forest was very Rowetty. Sit back. Soak up the pressure. Launch it towards mobile forwards. We’re difficult to break down but don’t pose much threat and we are constantly giving the ball away.

the previous over-passing was primarily due to the role of the holding player(S). We saw it with huddz, Rooney, and bird in particular. in the end, teams rumbled us. rooney and bird were even getting caught in possession. Bogle and Lowe also started hitting back passes for no apparent reason. Cocu criticised the players for safe passing and not being brave, so I’m not sure why people think that that is what he wanted. 

In 4231 the midfielders are either defensive or attacking.
In the 343 the centre mids are more tenacious box to box players. It suits proper midfielders.
Shinnie even had two good chances to score. it’s hard to imagine Shinnie turning up in those positions if he played in the previous holding role. 
we see knight breaking out of defence, running 30 or 40 yards with the ball.

I’d rather see that and some combination play with the wing backs than watch Clarke and wisdom keep launching it Rowett style like lower division donkeys.

I think we could get a better balance with Sibley and knight in the middle. It would be like having two Archie Gemmills.

Pass them the ball instead of launching it over their heads! These two aren’t going to fanny about with it. 

You need to leave shinniesta in the midfield with Knight.  Sibley players further forward, the Knight/shinniesta access offers bite and energy and protects the defence by breaking up things and starting attacks. I think we have stumbled onto a very effective midfield 

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

the Knight/shinniesta access offers bite and energy and protects the defence by breaking up things and starting attacks. I think we have stumbled onto a very effective midfield 

I just hope cocu sticks with it and doesn't go back to bird and Rooney.

On 24/10/2020 at 14:41, Ellafella said:

I actually agree with this stuff above @RamNut. As a player myself I loved passing and knitting movement and passing. But the point I was making is about Shinnie and the need to have a “destroyer” in midfield with allusions to Cocu’s first appraisals of Shinnie and his need to “play in a different way”. 

Shinniesta is made of girders, I tell thee.

53 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

You need to leave shinniesta in the midfield with Knight.  Sibley players further forward, the Knight/shinniesta access offers bite and energy and protects the defence by breaking up things and starting attacks. I think we have stumbled onto a very effective midfield 

the two central midfielders can’t still regarded as just defensive midfielders. They have to be box to box and chip in with goals. 
Sibley has been played too far forward as if he’s a second striker or a no10.

he can play box to Box and will score more.

just my opinion. Not knocking Shinnie - he’s great.

It’s just that Sibley is even better. 

On 25/10/2020 at 10:52, Coconut said:

Actually I think you'll find that the first name on the teamsheet is "Sky Bet EFL Championship" (or whichever competition the match is taking place under)  followed by the name of the stadium where the match is being played 

Screenshot_20201025-104922.png.1cc640f4b39f757a5f75ac732e6b9e01.png

But can they play as striker and hold the ball up, Coconut.

After Blackburn we made five changes and we had to. You've got to send a signal to the players that some performances are unacceptable. But it sometimes means in solidifying the team, you lose something. If I recall, it was trying to tighten up that saw the Bald Eagle drop Baiano for Darryl Powell, a huge backward step.

Shinnie and Knight have done brilliantly, but football fans are fickle things and there was talk until only recently that we wouldn't sell Bird to Chelsea for £20m or Sibley to Leeds for £15m. Now people don't want Bird in the first team and can't find a place for Sibbo either. Happily it's a long season with lots of back-to-back games and everyone will get their chance if they work hard and stay fit, but my preferred midfield would have Sibley in ahead of Shinnie. My preferred defence would have only two centrebacks because then we could play more midfielders. With Rooney, Bielik, Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Sibley and Holmes it's an area we're very strong in. Fitting all the pieces into the jigsaw is pretty tough, but that's a good thing.

Archived