If All Fit & In Form, Whats Our Best XI ?

Chris_Martin

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Well if that's so I don't see the point because if favours players who've been here longer because they've had more time to hit form at some point. Wouldn't that mean Forsyth could possibly be in ahead of Buchanan based on his level years ago, in reality not many would pick him.

Also @Chris_Martin should have made it clearer in his original question.

Slightly disagree with that point as I can think of players who have been consistently crap so length of service is in fact a disadvantage to them.

Anyhows I didn't set the rules of the game ?

4 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Well if that's so I don't see the point because if favours players who've been here longer because they've had more time to hit form at some point. Wouldn't that mean Forsyth could possibly be in ahead of Buchanan based on his level years ago, in reality not many would pick him.

Also @Chris_Martin should have made it clearer in his original question.

I don't really know how else to explain it, If everyone in our current squad is fit and in form what team would you pick for right now. 

So for example, you can't have the Forsyth of 5 years ago it would be the present one.

38 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Clearly CR7 would get in the team! 

But you were on about having Rooney in the team from the 09/10 season which obviously doesn't make sense. 

you've just contradicted yourself! If it doesn't make sense for Rooney 09/10 to be in, then It also doesn't for the theoretical CR7 because (according to your logic) they both didn't do it in a Derby shirt. Of course having Rooney 09/10 doesn't make sense, I was saying that to point out how your logic of picking Ibe doesn't make sense. You pick Ibe based on his form many years ago then why not Rooney (if he's still a registered player) based on his form years ago? the only difference that Ibe's form happened to be in a Derby shirt, even though the Derby team he was in then is completely different to now doesn't matter? My point is why on earth does it matter if there best form was in a Derby shirt or not when picking the best XI in this present moment? I'd play Roberts, with his Celtic 2018 form in a Derby shirt now over Ibe, with his Derby 2015 form in a Derby shirt now. I don't know how else to explain this to you. ?

25 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Slightly disagree with that point as I can think of players who have been consistently crap so length of service is in fact a disadvantage to them.

Anyhows I didn't set the rules of the game ?

I don't want to keep going on about it but the original question has really annoyed me for some reason ?

So in theory a player could be here for 10 years and be terrible for the vast majority of hat time. But if he had one month in that 10 years where he was amazing, he'd get into the best XI on the basis that he plays like he did in that on month?

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I don't want to keep going on about it but the original question has really annoyed me for some reason ?

So in theory a player could be here for 10 years and be terrible for the vast majority of hat time. But if he had one month in that 10 years where he was amazing, he'd get into the best XI on the basis that he plays like he did in that on month?

I dunno am getting a headache now ?

46 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

you've just contradicted yourself! If it doesn't make sense for Rooney 09/10 to be in, then It also doesn't for the theoretical CR7 because (according to your logic) they both didn't do it in a Derby shirt. Of course having Rooney 09/10 doesn't make sense, I was saying that to point out how your logic of picking Ibe doesn't make sense. You pick Ibe based on his form many years ago then why not Rooney (if he's still a registered player) based on his form years ago? the only difference that Ibe's form happened to be in a Derby shirt, even though the Derby team he was in then is completely different to now doesn't matter? My point is why on earth does it matter if there best form was in a Derby shirt or not when picking the best XI in this present moment? I'd play Roberts, with his Celtic 2018 form in a Derby shirt now over Ibe, with his Derby 2015 form in a Derby shirt now. I don't know how else to explain this to you. ?

What??????????

it matters because the topic is our best team right now. When it says inform, it means the best they can play at the present moment in their careers. For example, Rooney at this moment in his career, is a manager.

You seem to be the only one not understanding this?

14 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

he's been picked based on what i think his current ability could be

10 hours ago, DCFClks said:

What have you based his current ability on?

That's my opinion. I just feel that if he could get over the problems he has then that player of 4 or 5 years ago is still in there somewhere. It's not as if his legs have gone through old age, he's still only 25. 

The whole point of this topic is to give your opinion on what you think would be the best team. It doesn't always have to be backed up by stats and analysed. 

Marshall (Not convinced by him though)

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Knight  Sibley

Joz            CKR        Ibe

Harsh on Shinnie and would rotate him with Knight or Sibley depending on the opposition. Not too fussed whether Wisdom or Edmundson plays to be honest. If Bird is playing he needs to be further forward in one of the Knight or Sibley positions, dont think he's good enough yet to sit in front of the back 4, his vision and passing isn't there yet

• 5 months later...

image.png.5e534dff48a09358fdee2676cf44b75c.png

There's a few problems but actually think this squad isn't far off being a solid team.

Our midfield will be especially good when Bielik's back and it will be difficult to fit them all into a team.

I really like the 3 strikers we have but I don't think any will get 15+ goals in a season, but the 20 goal striker is what every clubs after and some spend millions hoping to get one and don't.

I think Jags and Davies are key to the whole team. We've now seen that they're both now involved in coaches meetings and game planning. To me they seem to dictate the entire style of play, tempo and how all the other players play. If both could somehow make it through a whole season we'll be fine. Ignore the age, they're still both quality CBs. If one gets injured I think we'd be in trouble though as we only have Stearman as cover.

I'm also slightly worried that McDonald or Ebosele aren't quite ready to cover if Byrne got injured.

The only other issue is the GKs as there's valid criticism of all three at times. 

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

There's a few problems but actually think this squad isn't far off being a solid team.

Our midfield will be especially good when Bielik's back and it will be difficult to fit them all into a team.

I really like the 3 strikers we have but I don't think any will get 15+ goals in a season, but the 20 goal striker is what every clubs after and some spend millions hoping to get one and don't.

I think Jags and Davies are key to the whole team. We've now seen that they're both now involved in coaches meetings and game planning. To me they seem to dictate the entire style of play, tempo and how all the other players play. If both could somehow make it through a whole season we'll be fine. Ignore the age, they're still both quality CBs. If one gets injured I think we'd be in trouble though as we only have Stearman as cover.

I'm also slightly worried that McDonald or Ebosele aren't quite ready to cover if Byrne got injured.

The only other issue is the GKs as there's valid criticism of all three at times. 

Agree with the players you've picked, but i would prefer them in a 4-3-3. We have seen lately how much better Max Bird looks when he drives & looks for a forward pass quickly. I don't think holding mid is really the best position for him. Morrison is also good at passing and very creative, but has shown at times he can sit deeper and control a game, so think he would be well suited to playing a no.8 as well. 

When Bielik is back, i would also have to drop Shinnie which seems harsh as he rarely does anything wrong. 

As for the GK, i could honestly pick any of them for the best xi as they all seem to have a mistake in them, like you say. 

Kazim has been good, but with Baldock in the side we seemed to look much more fluid and had so much more threat running in behind. Would have to pick Kazim though if its a best team with everyone in form as i think he has more ability than Baldock. 

Yep Stearman is the only CB cover. Unless you include Forsyth as an emergency 4th CB. After the Salford game, i never want to see him play there again though?.

You are right Jags & Davies are essential to this team. I think its partially their involvement in the tactics/coaches meetings, but also they just naturally have great leadership ability. You can see them constantly talking and pulling players into position during games. I just can't see how we will get 40 odd games out of them both in a season. 

image.png.9f5b4f22375a2489462f216ceeecca20.png

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Shinnie for bird imo. However it is no longer a team of eleven but a team of fourteen so indicating who should typically be replaced after 60 minutes might be useful. Eg Sibley for Joz or Tom. Baldock for Colin.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Shinnie for bird imo. However it is no longer a team of eleven but a team of fourteen so indicating who should typically be replaced after 60 minutes might be useful. Eg Sibley for Joz or Tom. Baldock for Colin.

Jags and Curtis plus Ravel are defining the team. No need to tell Ravel what to do, he knows how to dictate the play. He now has a very good defence behind him.