If All Fit & In Form, Whats Our Best XI ?

Chris_Martin

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I would prefer a 4-3-3, but think the players might be better suited to this.

image.png.5deded9cc9e93f175c448e0ab9463cf6.png

Apart from Shinnie at left back (I'd still go with Forsyth at the moment, for all his weaknesses... at least he is an experienced fullback) I thought "that's not bad at all".  And then I realised - hold on - that team has no place for Bird, Sibley or England's record goalscorer. And I suppose that means we might have something like a decent squad in a couple of month's time when everybody is fit!? 

Edited by LazloW

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Apart from Shinnie at left back (I'd still go with Forsyth at the moment, for all his weaknesses... at least he is an experienced fullback) I thought "that's not bad at all".  And then I realised - hold on - that team has no place for Bird, Sibley or England's record goalscorer. And I suppose that means we might have something like a decent squad in a couple of month's time when everybody is fit!? 

Difficult to get them all in the team though

Marshall,

Byrne, Wisdom, Clarke, Buchanan,

Bird, Bielik,

Ibe,     Lawrence,     Jozwiak,

Waghorn.

I don't see how you can drop one of, if not the best midfielders in the league statistically last season in Bird, not sure how you can put Te Wierik in our best team, why is Holmes a holding mid? Why is Jozwiak on his less preferred side? 

Marshall

Byrne  MTW. Clarke. Forsyth

Bielik. Bird

Lawrence

Ibe.           Marriott.       Jozwiak.

If we signed a new left back (Obita) He'd be there over Forsyth. But that just highlights our need for a left back if Forsyth is the best we have. 

I've not seen anywhere near enough of MTW yet. New league, new country so he needs time to build up his relationship with Clarke. If he doesn't come good then Wisdom should play. 

Bielik will be a massive player for us. I think Bird and Rooney may alternate. Games come thick and fast.

I prefer Waghorn as a wide forward than through the middle. So I'd play Marriott over there. Just merely because I think of who would I fancy more with chances and Waghorn wastes too many. Marriott has had one chance really this season and he's scored. The Reading and Barrow games we created absolutely nothing for him. Not once did you say "Marriott should have scored that" 

If we sign a big centre forward, depending on who it is, you'd probably say they would start up front. So potentially something like this:-

Marshall

Byrne.  Te Weirik. Clarke. Obita 

Bielik.  Bird

Lawrence

Ibe.      Davis.   Jozwiak

That is a top 6 side for me. 

Roos

Wisdom.  Davies.  Evans.  Forsyth

Rooney.  Shinnie

Sibley/Holmes

Waghorn.   Marriott.  Knight

You've got a second 11 there which isn't that bad. So strength and depth everywhere.

Games are coming round thick and fast. So having options will help massively. The strongest squad will go up this season. 

With the apparent preferred formation of 4-2-3-1 my team would be ;

Marshall

Byrne   MTW  Clarke   Forsyth

Bielik   Rooney

Ibe    Lawrence   Joswiak    

Marriott 

Roos, Wisdom, Bird, Knight, Holmes, Sibley, Waghorn 

What I would like to see ;

Marshall

MTW   Clarke  Clarke

Byrne   Bielik   Rooney   Forsyth

Ibe    Lawrence   Joswiak 

Roos, Wisdom, Bird, Knight, Marriott, Sibley, Waghorn 

Personnel might change but I would like to see 3-4-3 or even 3-5-2.

14 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Marshall

Byrne Te Wierik Clarke Buchanon

Bird Bielik Sibley

Jozwiak Waghorn Ibe

Rooney, Knight, Holmes, Lawrence, Marriott, Whittaker, Duncan giving plenty of options on the bench....plus hopefully a new striker.

The squad looks good but the right blend seems elusive. Got to play the ones in best form 

Based off what we've seen so far:

Marshall 

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth

Rooney   Bird

Ibe         Sibley    Jozwiak

Waghorn  

There's a few tricky areas and  I think it will change over the season.

Wisdom over Te Wierik as so far Wisdom has looked better there by a far bit so far but it won't be surprising if that changes.

Buchanan I think will replace Forsyth eventuall

Rooney/Bird is a best proven combination anyone putting Bielik in there is going off his theoretical potential not his actual consistency of performance for us so far. Again I won't surprised if he ends up in there but he needs to show it's worth dropping someone for.

Ibe is tricky because of his lack of recent playing time but I suspect will claim the rw birth and not let go. Jozwiak if he replicates his performance at Luton will be in the team every week.

The Sibley pick is the one I had to spend the most time thinking because I think both picking either him or Lawrence are built on a couple assumptions. Lawrence hasn't really played as a #10 for us much at all, the assumption is that the glimpses we've seen of him there and the occasional high performances from the wing will become more consistent played as a #10. With Sibley it's a case of can he demonstrate the kind of form he showed in his first handful of performances consistently with better attacking talent in the side to take the attention of him. Both are assumptions but I think the second scenario is actually more likely. If we can get Sibley regularly playing at around the level he showed against Millwall (or even a bit lower) then I think he would be the better player and I don't think it would be close, Lawrence has never come close to that kind of performance for us. I also think with how we play a 4231 we want more of a midfielder at #10. With all that said it's a close call either way.

Lastly this was honestly one of the easier picks. Waghorn > Mariott.