David Marshall

RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But still a free, not undisclosed fee.

Makes sense I suppose, get the wages off their wage bill. Don't believe the rogue bitter Wigan fan claiming he knows something no one else does.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So if you have a transfer embargo you can still transfer a player and pay his wages as long as you don't pay a fee? Sounds like rubbish to me. 

Can a transfer embargo be enforced before the outcome of a disciplinary hearing is confirmed then?

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

All undisclosed means is that any fee isn't disclosed. If the fee agreed is zero or no fee  what difference does it make? Am I missing something? 

Dunno, semantics init. Undisclosed fee makes it sound like there was a fee, free most definitely doesn't. #weispoor ?

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't think so no. 

If that's the case then either there is no transfer embargo or the disciplinary commission has completed its deliberations and both parties have been made aware.

I would guess it's the former.

A team cannot be under a transfer embargo before it is public knowledge. They can be told they're going to be, but they can't be under one. Such a penalty gets reported into the public domain, as we've seen with every other transfer embargo, soft or otherwise, that has been enforced.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

A team cannot be under a transfer embargo before it is public knowledge. They can be told they're going to be, but they can't be under one. Such a penalty gets reported into the public domain, as we've seen with every other transfer embargo, soft or otherwise, that has been enforced.

For the first time ever you’re wrong. Sheffield Wednesday were under an embargo and it was undisclosed. It was revealed in the ruling on their case.

3 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

For the first time ever you’re wrong. Sheffield Wednesday were under an embargo and it was undisclosed. It was revealed in the ruling on their case.

18th June 2019 

Sheffield Wednesday are understood to be operating under the terms of a ‘soft transfer embargo’

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/what-soft-transfer-embargo-and-what-does-it-mean-sheffield-wednesday-177757

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

That’s no more reliable than someone at Wigan saying we’re under embargo. The fact it’s been subsequently proved correct is neither here or there.

A fan on Twitter vs the local paper in Sheffield. That’s the difference. A local paper can allude to it without it being confirmed as fact, though it mostly likely is. 

14 hours ago, cloughie said:

I live in Hull and my wife is a pass holder, so I go with her occasionally.

Marshall was a huge flop at Hull and they couldn't wait to get rid of him and he lost his place to the second/third string Eldin Jakupovic (now no 3 at Leicester)

Hull Daily Mail quote:

I'm not sure this is actually a step upwards !

Surely you would look at his latest season to decide what sort of form he is currently in?

Lots of people think it’s a great signing. 
i don’t see it as much different to the Ben Hamer signing, Tbh.

experienced keeper on the cheap. Better than nothing.

if we are under a transfer embargo then this is really all we can do. 
but I’m not aroused by it. 

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think it’s much better than the Hamer signing to be honest. 

Marshall is a brilliant keeper 

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The only thing they really have in common is that they are both goalkeepers.

9 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

A fan on Twitter vs the local paper in Sheffield. That’s the difference. A local paper can allude to it without it being confirmed as fact, though it mostly likely is. 

The point I’m trying to make is that we could be under embargo. There is no requirement to reveal it publicly by either the EFL or the club. This was proved in the transcript of the Sheffield Weds verdict.

Of course, it’s very difficult to keep secret hence the article you refer to.

Equally I think that our actions in regards to transfers could be as a result of an embargo or self imposed to act as mitigation.

The fact we’re now beginning to see and hear about approaches for players with fees probably indicates we’re planning for the end of an embargo and/or the resolution of the EFL charge.

56 minutes ago, RamNut said:

When we signed Hamer I assumed he was to be cover for Roos and would be a cheap option - I was wrong he was not cheap in wages and we paid a loan fee ( from a relegated premiership club) plus he had one of the worst save ratios as keeper in recent times which he seemed to maintain in goal for us. I genuinely believe Marshall to have been a decent keeper all of his career so I believe this to be a big upgrade on our options compared to last season.  Now we need a decent centre half and a centre forward andif we are lucky a good wide midfielder ( I haven’t seen a winger in years) 

Archived