Substituting a Goalkeeper

Seaside Ram

5 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Was I the only one thinking that should've happened after that blunder Saturday ? He head had clearly gone . If an outfield player was all over the place like that he would be hooked immediately especially with 5 subs . Does anyone recall that ever happening ? 

I don't think he was any worse after the mistake - But I don't set a very high bar for him - "Better than Roos" isn't a high bar to get over

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall Bywater coming of under Cloughie and being replaced by a young lad making his first appearance on the bench. The goalies name might have been Severn? I don’t think Bywater was injured at the time 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Kind of agree although conceding THAT goal did take the wind out our sails in an already rough tide. 

But yeah, in the WBA game his good outweighed the bad. 

Over the season though there's too many spills, drops, miskicks, poor decisions from Roos and Hamer. They can take pressure off the team but too often apply more. Saving shots going wide and punching for corners/throws. Defenders taking responsibility when the keeper should be screaming authority. Just too many little hiccups on top of the obvious howlers that all keepers make

I'm not saying they're the worst in the world. But I do think they add pressure by being unpredictable. 

Moments like Saturday happen to the best of them. 

But this week has seen bizarre punches, the Forest shot, the WBA corner, the Brentford 2nd and he saved a couple of shots going wide by WBA. 

I know Grant had an awful spell but he had a hamstring injury at the time. Plus, I'd say that spell sticks in the memory because it was quite unusual for him. With Hamer and Roos I think it's over a longer period of time. 

I think a lot of criticism is valid but some is well over the top. I don’t think Roos makes many mistakes. People seem to want him to catch the ball all the time even when it’s wet, but a lot of keepers are trained to punch now. It is often seen as a less risky option. I would like to see Roos given a chance again now. Would love Carson back but we need to address the goalkeeper issues whatever. I would personally not normally boo a Derby player and I hope Hamer ends up having a strong career. I think people end up fixated on having a scapegoat whether it’s Keogh, Lawrence, Hamer etc to deflect the ineptitude of performances! 

14 minutes ago, rsmini said:

I seem to recall Bywater coming of under Cloughie and being replaced by a young lad making his first appearance on the bench. The goalies name might have been Severn? I don’t think Bywater was injured at the time 

I thought Bywater was faking an injury in that game?

12 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

If the team is crap the manager gets the flack, but some if not most of this has to fall with Shay.

Questions have to be asked of Shay and cocu. We know hamer is a crap keeper and makes mistakes almost every game but cocu is the one that keeps picking him. 

Few that I remember that weren't for penalties/friendlies or injuries.

Leeds took Paul Rachubka off after his performance against Blackpool, think it was something like his 5th game on loan for them and he cost them about 6 goals in that period. He never played for them again.

Di Canio took Wesley Foderingham off after about 20 minutes for Swindon

The Zaire coach also substituted his goalkeeper during a 9-0 loss to Yugoslavia at the 1970 World Cup

Martyn Margetson was also substituted for Man City when Everton beat them 5-2.

Different  circumstances  ...but using 2 goal keepers at Reading  and a stand in goalie in Robbie Savage  . 

Bywater  off injured .... Saul Deeney replaced him ... later sent off ... enter Robbie ... we did lose 4 - 1 . But it was to be expected   OH THOSE WHERE THE DAYS ?

Archived