Does having Rooney in the team inhibit dynamic football?

IslandExile

Rooney?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring Tuesday night I think Rooney has been great for us. I'm more disappointed with other more experienced players who I feel don't 'stand up and be counted' consistently enough.

On numerous occasions on Tuesday night Lawrence received the ball in space but just side-footed it back to Rooney, Bird or someone else. He kept taking the easy option. IMO he should have controlled it, turned and attacked them if the chance was still there. The Cardiff players must have loved it as Lawrence is definitely a threat when he 'has a go' at teams.

On 09/07/2020 at 06:16, IslandExile said:

Yeah, it's nonsense of course. We just need more high quality players so that we have more options in our play.

Rooney is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I regret starting the poll now but at least it's a point for discussion.

Love this post! ? I think in fairness, when we look at the last 2-3 games as a microcosm, the over-dependency thing is probably a legitimate point but as you've pointed out, that's a team deficiency.

I think if we had a bit more pace out wide we might also find things a lot easier. When teams defend well or sit deep and compact, we're kinda forced to play through them so when nothing's on, we do seem to end up playing away from goal a lot just to keep possession.

With some runners to stretch defences a little more, we have a deal more options. A fit Marriott could have played a major part this season but the lad is apparently made of papier-mâché which really leaves only Waggy to fill that role. 

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Apart from one game, Rooney has been great and has had, a great affect on this young Rams team, can not wait to see Rooney next season, think the young players have all improved since the arrival of Mr Rooney. 

He has. Completely baffles me why he’s coming under fire.

When Rooney is being criticised, you suddenly realise that no matter who pulls a Derby shirt on won’t be good enough for some.

The only reason we have been looking at the top 6 recently is Rooney. Ok, the only two reasons, Cocu and Rooney.

4 minutes ago, David said:

When Rooney is being criticised, you suddenly realise that no matter who pulls a Derby shirt on won’t be good enough for some.

The only reason we have been looking at the top 6 recently is Rooney. Ok, the only two reasons, Cocu and Rooney.

And Sibbo for his hat trick against Millwall. ?

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

And Sibbo for his hat trick against Millwall. ?

That helped as well ?

I’m sure if you was to ask Sibley, Knight, Bird and co if playing alongside Rooney has inspired and motivated them they would all say massively.

How could he not? 

Seeing posts of drop him next season, hang up his boots has be shaking my head over here in utter disbelief.

Just now, David said:

I think there are nuances in the comments. Yes, some folk criticising him which is daft but most pointing out the heavy schedule of games and his likely tiredness.

Others point to the fact the other players need to take the responsibility & that Rooney's class and presence is inhibiting them. Thats not his fault but it is a problem & its what I believe also. The best teams in this division don't have stars, they are just extremely effective overall units. The reality is Rooney was brought in to help develop the team, not carry it & given next season is likely to be his last playing season, we need to manage that transition.

Blackburn at home showed that the others are capable of getting good results. Id like to see next season as a hybrid of Rooney being on the pitch (whilst managing his workload so he doesnt have to start every game) but upping his coaching so preparing Bird, Sibley, Knight et al for the responsibility of controlling games & getting results.

I don’t see it as a criticism to suggest that he should play less or even hang up the boots. time catches up with everyone and he will be constantly assessing whether he wants to play on. 
he has had a positive influence on the youngsters and there is no reason why that can’t continue. 
He has given those young players belief and confidence. 

in terms of his own game, his long range passing is very good as is his quick passing. But he can’t get about the pitch and so he has ended up in a fairly static holding midfield role. There was a moment v Cardiff (when they hit the bar?) where there is a 2v2 on the touchline. Bogle and Rooney defending. Rooney just gives up on it, and they break through and nearly score. Fatigue is a factor. We are probably over-playing him. 

the original question asked ‘does playing Rooney inhibit dynamic football? For me, it’s not so much about playing Rooney, as about playing two holding midfielders. Playing two holding players limits our options.

some people have suggested adopting the Jim smith system - 532 with three central defenders and dynamic wing backs. Bielik, te wierek and wisdom in central defence, with Lowe and bogle on the flanks? But you can’t have three at the back and two holding players. similarly there has been a suggestion that cocu wants to shift to the 433. That’s only one holding player and an extra attacking player. 

the holding midfield role is the easiest position on the pitch. To have two gives a solid unit, but causes us - at times - to be over cautious, to drop deep and to overplay in our own half. This was the same whether we played huddlestone and Ledley, butterfield and Johnson, bird and Rooney, or Uncle Tom cobbley. And In the final analysis our defensive record still isn’t great. Two holding midfield players is the Forest / growett way. They do it better than us and it’s very boring to watch. 

People compare Rooney’s influence with Mackay. Mackay guided the young Roy mac and John robson. when Mackay left it was a huge blow. But the next season McFarland and Todd blossomed and we won the league.
Right now, bird, sibley and knight are three outstanding 18/19 year olds with enormous potential. I have seen every young player to emerge over the past 50 years. I’ve seen Paul Williams when he was a skinny little left back who looked like he would throw up with nerves. Knight and Sibley are better than all of them with the possible exception of Will Hughes. 

Right now the guidance of Rooney is positive. But these young players will blossom when we hand them the midfield and ask them to take control. And that will be when Rooney exits stage left. Whether he decides to stop playing this summer or carries on is his decision. But when he does, although we will have lost his contribution on the pitch, it could be the catalyst for these players to really develop, and for us to break the shackles of 4231. 

7 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I like Rooney. But I've no idea on the 2nd goal he was just sat upfront tying his laces... Surely you'd carry on regardless of if they were untied until the ball goes out of play? I'd be livid if i was the manager... 

Well he'd have looked good falling over them! 

Archived