v Forest (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

I'm not normally one to criticise commentators but I thought Sky were terrible yesterday. We weren't great yesterday, but after our poor start, we weren't terrible either. There was a number of fair comments from McCarthy about our slow passing in the first quarter of the game but he failed to acknowledge when it did improve.

The BBC report reads very differently - a tight, if slightly dull, local Derby which Forest could have buried but failed to.

We were patient against a very well-organised team and I feel like some fans are forgetting the chances we created ourselves. A number of times their defence snuffed out chances that we would have scored against pretty much anyone else. I think we were good value for the point.

On Forest - they really remind me of us under Rowett. I can see them going up with Lamouchi. I'm glad we don't have a manager like that - it's horrid to watch, and that style has a limited shelf-life. We're going somewhere different and better under Cocu.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Not sure how to share this any other way but check out those reactions on the bottom screen. Rooney especially 

https://instagram.com/stories/dcfcofficial/2346456878967183574?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=n16k5fiyji5r

I am totally unable to work out how Insta stories work and how you view reactions, what did Rooney's say - story seems to have gone?

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I'm not normally one to criticise commentators but I thought Sky were terrible yesterday. We weren't great yesterday, but after our poor start, we weren't terrible either. There was a number of fair comments from McCarthy about our slow passing in the first quarter of the game but he failed to acknowledge when it did improve.

The BBC report reads very differently - a tight, if slightly dull, local Derby which Forest could have buried but failed to.

We were patient against a very well-organised team and I feel like some fans are forgetting the chances we created ourselves. A number of times their defence snuffed out chances that we would have scored against pretty much anyone else. I think we were good value for the point.

On Forest - they really remind me of us under Rowett. I can see them going up with Lamouchi. I'm glad we don't have a manager like that - it's horrid to watch, and that style has a limited shelf-life. We're going somewhere different and better under Cocu.

Totally agree with you. The supposed anti-Derby bias we normally hear about is pretty much non-existent. But they seemed to think Forest were incredible during the match.

Thought O'Neil was ok in the studio, not seen him before.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Totally agree with you. The supposed anti-Derby bias we normally hear about is pretty much non-existent. But they seemed to think Forest were incredible during the match.

I don't think it was anti- or pro- anything, they just sometimes get an idea stuck in their head and run with it and forget to talk about anything else.

I appreciate having Mick McCarthy's knowledge but it would have been better to have someone who plays the game differently to counter him. MM spent the entire game saying how he'd abandon our game and pump it long. We know you would Mick. But Cocu isn't going to go for that.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I appreciate having Mick McCarthy's knowledge but it would have been better to have someone who plays the game differently to counter him. MM spent the entire game saying how he'd abandon our game and pump it long. We know you would Mick. But Cocu isn't going to go for that.

I thought he was pretty accurate in stuff we weren't getting right. And then we scored from a long ball pumped into the box - he's probably congratulating himself! ?

Always going to be a difficult game ,especially when conceeding first. Started very slow too slow with no movement on or off the ball which was disappointing. Poor defensive work and goal keeping lead to forest scoring and from them on it was always going to be difficult. A good point considering our performance a shame Cardiff pinched it towards the end yesterday but onwards and upwards.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought he was pretty accurate in stuff we weren't getting right. And then we scored from a long ball pumped into the box - he's probably congratulating himself! ?

He was accurate in diagnosing what was wrong, I just totally disagreed with his solution to it. But you're right, that equaliser was right out of the Mick McCarthy Coaching School!

12 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Rooney 6 - tried hard but his delivery wasnt great today. Lots of floated balls out wide when sharp incisive passing was needed. Lost possession a few times

I'm starting to get a little concerned that Rooney is taking a little too much responsibility. It seems to be in his nature. Rooney was obviously great for England, but I never enjoyed watching him play - it always felt like he was playing with the weight of expectation on his shoulders and did too much in an attempt to carry the team around him (this was the era when Jay Bothroyd and Bobby Zamora got caps).

There were shades of that from Rooney yesterday. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Thought O’Neil and McAnuff spoke a lot of sense and provided good insights, helps they’re both involved in the game in a coaching capacity. Thought Mick was pretty fair on commentary yesterday. Didn’t think they were massively pro-forest, just think they were disappointed with Derby and expected more - as we all did

52 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He was accurate in diagnosing what was wrong, I just totally disagreed with his solution to it. But you're right, that equaliser was right out of the Mick McCarthy Coaching School!

I think he was only suggesting they mix it up a bit, just to get us playing in the right areas to build momentum to then impose our game, he respected how we play and mentioned a couple of times in commentary that we’re an excellent footballing team

A fair few commenting on Bogle saying he looked disinterested. Not sure thats fair. He looks like he's been told to hold his position more, only breaking forward when there is an overload on that side. It seems more calculated and thought out, something Cocu and staff are trying to train him in tactically. We all know Bogle has the pace and ability to run up and down the right flank, so it can be frustrating to see players standing still. But I'm also sure it comes with a tactical view. Unfair to blame just Bogle. 

got a point we didn't deserve but hey ho.... on watching this we definitely not ready to go up. slow lack of idea and error at the back... been here before. 

we better than early in the season but work in progress. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Doesn't work - tell us instead, please.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I am totally unable to work out how Insta stories work and how you view reactions, what did Rooney's say - story seems to have gone?

So the video is the goal from three different angles, the bottom one is the view from behind the goal (an end to end shot from above the stand) and its the only view you can see every players reactions. Rooney essentially lost control for a few seconds and I think it’s nice to see a goal that’s important to us in a local Derby mean a lot to him to, little things like that show that he’s brought in to what the club is.

You arent missing anything important, it’s just a little detail that’s not been picked up 

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

So the video is the goal from three different angles, the bottom one is the view from behind the goal (an end to end shot from above the stand) and its the only view you can see every players reactions. Rooney essentially lost control for a few seconds and I think it’s nice to see a goal that’s important to us in a local Derby mean a lot to him to, little things like that show that he’s brought in to what the club is.

You arent missing anything important, it’s just a little detail that’s not been picked up 

I did think that they were good angles to view the goal from but missed Rooney 'star-jumping'! ? I was concentrating on the top view with Chrissy making sure he got something on the ball ? ?. I think you have to be logged in to Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/dcfcofficial/2346456878967183574/

53 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Thought O’Neil and McAnuff spoke a lot of sense and provided good insights, helps they’re both involved in the game in a coaching capacity. Thought Mick was pretty fair on commentary yesterday. Didn’t think they were massively pro-forest, just think they were disappointed with Derby and expected more - as we all did

Yeah it was more one if the in-games guys, Prutton maybe. He seemed to think we were watching one of THE great sides in Forest. And that the manager had performed a total miracle that they were still in touch of automatic, even though he was only given a 1 year contract originally with loads of money to spend.

When they fail in the playoffs and he's sacked by next Xmas for being 6 points off the playoffs, they will all be criticising him for being too defensive.

53 minutes ago, r4derby said:

A fair few commenting on Bogle saying he looked disinterested. Not sure thats fair. He looks like he's been told to hold his position more, only breaking forward when there is an overload on that side. It seems more calculated and thought out, something Cocu and staff are trying to train him in tactically. We all know Bogle has the pace and ability to run up and down the right flank, so it can be frustrating to see players standing still. But I'm also sure it comes with a tactical view. Unfair to blame just Bogle. 

I thought every ball he received was behind him and not giving him any chance to run with it in open space and obviously the opposition had shut the space down before he turn so was always passing it to safe areas from there 

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Genuine question for you, as you are in the know on these things.  Do you know the reason Forest were given possession when we were in possession and attacking and the game was stopped because Yates was down injured ?

it wasn't a foul, just didn't make sense.  Surely we should have been given possession,  or at least a drop ball and Forest giving us the ball back.

I don’t really know to be honest - I think it might have been something like “in the spirit of the game” you give the ball to whoever had the injured player. What it probably was is that Derby players, ref and Forest probably forgot who had it last, so in a roundabout kinda way it probably worked out..... that’s my best shot 

On  further reflection I think I understand why Derby were so slow and ponderous, especially at the start. We knew that Forest would sit deep and stifle any sign of life, and then try and hit us on the counter, and it is exactly what they did do - after all it is what they have been doing all season.

I think Cocu's plan wasn't to simply go gung-ho and make use of the fact that Forest would let us have lots of the ball. He was trying to get us to tempt Forest away from their penalty area - we were trying to draw them out of their own half, but they steadfastly refused to come. That showed a great deal of discipline, and would also explain why Jaden Bogle didn't seem to want to go forwards, or why Max bird's passing was predominantly cautious. It took us 30 minutes to come to terms with it and start moving the ball faster. But they had 2 or 3 men on both Max Bird and on Louie Sibley - for goodness sake, these are 19 and 18 year old kids who haven't even had a full season in the EFL! 

Bottom line is that Forest got their tactics right, and defended really well, because we hardly got a sniff of  chance, despite getting into some great positions. I think there was only one time when we had them as sitting ducks when Max Bird wormed his way into the box and went for the shot instead of the lay-off to Chris Martin. That was a slight lack of experience, plus the fact that Ben Watson was kicking at his legs all the time Max was trying to shape up for the shot wouldn't have helped. He could have gone down and claimed a penalty, but that would have been a waste of time simply because Darren England was masquerading as the ref, and he gives us virtually nowt ....... ever.

At least Cocu will get us learning from this so that should we put in unbelievable levels of performances and get to play them in the final, we will approach this completely differently. Remember how Leeds spent their matches against us playing us off the park until that last match? Well Forest haven't played us off the park - they have just been more effective, that's all.

It is still all to play for. And if we don't make it, well we shouldn't be anywhere near thinking about the play-offs, given what was thrown out us throughout the season, and before.

Archived