Milwall v Derby Player Ratings

sage

Hamer 6 - Neither goal his fault, distribution was a little wonky.  Couple of decent saves

Bogle 6 - Should've closed the cross down for their first with a bit more conviction,  Won the ball back for Sibley's first, and got better after the break.

Wisdom 6 - Caught out a few times on the counter, passing wasn't up to usual standards

Clarke 7 - Won plenty of headers, and passing was less erratic than Wisdom's but still gave it away cheaply a couple of times

Forsyth 7 - Let Smith get the run on him for their first, but was a threat going forward and got an assist.  Has the acceleration of a Lada Riva nowadays

Rooney 6 - Lots of passes but none of them really hurt them.  Free kicks weren't great.  His worst game for us.

Bird 8 - Constantly broke up play and used the ball simply yet effectively.  Very cute pass into Waghorn on the way to Sibley's 2nd

Sibley - 9.5 - Hat trick hero, Millwall just couldn't handle him.  Constantly found pockets of space where centre halves don't like to go.  Some unreal close control despite having 3 men round him.  Only reason it isn't a 10 is because he really should've had another couple.

Lawrence 7 - Tracked back diligently, used the ball well when he had.  Should've been more involved.

Holmes 5 - Didn't effect the play like he normally does, very quiet

Waghorn 7 - Lead the line well and was full of running.  Pulled the centre halves about creating space for Sibley time and again.  Lovely Martin-esque pass for Sibley's 2nd

Subs-

Knight 6 - Arguably should've had a penalty

Martin 6 - Seemed more concerned about drawing foul than holding it up.  The one time he did get it down, he realised Forsyth for the 3rd.

Evans/Shinnie 6 - Put the foot in, kept the passing simple and helped us see out the game

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Bogle 6 - Should've closed the cross down for their first with a bit more conviction,

That's harsh, he had 2 players on him, not sure he could have done much else really. 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

That's harsh, he had 2 players on him, not sure he could have done much else really. 

Rewatch it, imho he has time to get closer, not necessarily to stop the cross, but at least to make the player change the angle. 

48 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Rewatch it, imho he has time to get closer, not necessarily to stop the cross, but at least to make the player change the angle. 

I've watched back quite a few times. There Bogle cannot do anymore than he did. The player that crosses it takes one touch and puts it in, he is on control of the ball for 1 second. 

6 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Whilst I agree with your overall point, Millwall were, and still are, play-off contenders so calling them "very average" is to demean the excellent performance put in by our team.

I wasn't suggesting that the display wasn't impressive. I just feel that our defence is slack, which means we have to increase the goals tally. On another day you have lot's of possession, but the ball doesn't go in the net. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's on his own with two attackers - you watch again.

11 hours ago, rynny said:

I've watched back quite a few times. There Bogle cannot do anymore than he did. The player that crosses it takes one touch and puts it in, he is on control of the ball for 1 second. 

I think he could've got closer, you don't.  That's the great about opinions & bumholes, everyone's got one, and everyone's is different.

I'm a former full-back and whilst I have been critical of Bogle's defending in the past, he was pretty helpless in that situation. 

He was part of the attack which broke down then had to scramble back between two attackers. 

It's then a case of risk assessment. 

Allowing the cross was less risky than allowing a run on goal so he stayed between the two. 

I would not be surprised if Holmes' poor attempt to get back was a factor in his substitution. 

Archived