Coronavirus

1of4

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So are you an expert on this matter?

And that is a serious question.

You ignored my point about Covid/Flu stats being reported together by Public Health England.

Are you aware if this is true or not?

Source? That would be some wild incompetence, but doesn't really change what we know about the virus globally. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also read a stat today that said of the people in hospital with Covid, a reasonable percentage of them have contracted it in hospital, rather than being admitted to hospital with Covid.

How true that is I dont know.

I'd say with each day that passes it looks like the figures are being manipulated to strike fear into people.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1228975453_Screenshot_20201011-220319_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9780b4fa32741ea826298ecae7bbc157.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-221346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Both articles from ONS only 2 weeks apart.

First article says they are unable to provide figures for flu deaths, second article lists flu deaths.

Flu/pneumonia deaths down on the 5 year average for all 8 months of the year.

Flu/pneumonia mentioned on more death certificates than Covid 19.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Both articles from ONS only 2 weeks apart.

First article says they are unable to provide figures for flu deaths, second article lists flu deaths.

Flu/pneumonia deaths down on the 5 year average for all 8 months of the year.

Flu/pneumonia mentioned on more death certificates than Covid 19.

Read the whole report, it will answer all of your questions and explain it far better than I ever could.

You can’t just read the main points and expect to understand. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Also read a stat today that said of the people in hospital with Covid, a reasonable percentage of them have contracted it in hospital, rather than being admitted to hospital with Covid.

I'd say with each day that passes it looks like the figures are being manipulated to strike fear into people.

Yes A study has estimated that at least 12.5 % of all COVID-19 inpatients had a hospital acquired (nosocomial) infection. 

The figures aren’t being manipulated to strike fear into people. The figures are capable of doing that without being manipulated. 

20 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Yes A study has estimated that at least 12.5 % of all COVID-19 inpatients had a hospital acquired (nosocomial) infection. 

The figures aren’t being manipulated to strike fear into people. The figures are capable of doing that without being manipulated. 

I would imagine that hospital staff would make up a large part of that percentage.

8 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I would imagine that hospital staff would make up a large part of that percentage.

No they were inpatients, mainly quite elderly and frail people who had already been in hospital for a reasonable length of time.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

IMG-20201011-WA0003.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-215109_Facebook.jpg

So, you've confused them publishing the numbers in the same report as they combining the numbers? 

People do indeed catch diseases in hospital, it's unlikely that it's the even close to a leading driver though. 

So, you're spreading conspiracy theories based on nothing? Dangerous stuff. 

1228975453_Screenshot_20201011-220319_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9780b4fa32741ea826298ecae7bbc157.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-221346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. 

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

So, you've confused them publishing the numbers in the same report as they combining the numbers? 

Yet a graph that I posted later has the numbers combined?

People do indeed catch diseases in hospital, it's unlikely that it's the even close to a leading driver though.

Unlikely based on what sorry?

So, you're spreading conspiracy theories based on nothing? Dangerous stuff. 

Yeah really dangerous, I imagine loads of people use my thoughts for their opinion on the situation.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here. 

Bit strange that on 22 September they said it they could not calculate flu deaths for 2020 because it was so difficult to calculate, then 2 weeks later published flu deaths...an astonishing 349 for 8 months.

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yet a graph that I posted later has the numbers combined?

Yes, and states itself as such. The NHS reports figures for each separately daily, you can look at those if you prefer. You're basically trying to create a conspiracy out of nothing here. 

Unlikely based on what sorry?

The fact that there are more new cases per day than people in hospital. Just a minor point, I know. 

Yeah really dangerous, I imagine loads of people use my thoughts for their opinion on the situation.

Yes, there are plenty of misguided people in the World, and that is indeed dangerous. It is, arguably, a big part of the reason that the UK and USA are doing so badly in the fight against this virus. 

Bit strange that on 22 September they said it they could not calculate flu deaths for 2020 because it was so difficult to calculate, then 2 weeks later published flu deaths...an astonishing 349 for 8 months.

Maybe actually read what you post in future. What they said is that under freedom of information they are not required to create such to respond to such questions. You've confused that with them not being able to. They release influenza reports quite regularly, including the annual reports which provide such numbers for those interested. I highly recommend spending more time actually doing research into the data available, and less time trying to craft wild conspiracy theories through little more than innuendo based on lack of comprehension of what you're posting. 

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, and states itself as such. The NHS reports figures for each separately daily, you can look at those if you prefer. You're basically trying to create a conspiracy out of nothing here. 

The fact that there are more new cases per day than people in hospital. Just a minor point, I know. 

Yes, there are plenty of misguided people in the World, and that is indeed dangerous. It is, arguably, a big part of the reason that the UK and USA are doing so badly in the fight against this virus. 

Maybe actually read what you post in future. What they said is that under freedom of information they are not required to create such to respond to such questions. You've confused that with them not being able to. They release influenza reports quite regularly, including the annual reports which provide such numbers for those interested. I highly recommend spending more time actually doing research into the data available, and less time trying to craft wild conspiracy theories through little more than innuendo based on lack of comprehension of what you're posting. 

No agenda, genuine question. 

What do you make of - both with regards to 'intention' and to 'outcome' - the fact we seem to have let Covid burn through the student /University population? 

As an aside, it feels slightly reminiscent of the Care home situation but with a different outcome? The government then clearly were most worried about a lack of hospital beds (maybe having seen the scenes in Italy) and so to me it appears in their haste, they dumped a load of infected OAPs into care homes without considering the risk..akin to a farmer expecting a storm opening the hen house door before locking the fox in with the chickens. Unbelievably poor form, and something the powers that be, largely seem to be avoiding admitting. 

This time, they appear to have encouraged huge groups of young people to spend a week or two mixing and getting drunk...then to live on top of one another. Clearly Covid was going to rip through these communities..and has done..and by any stretch of the imagination it has shown that young people (bar the incredibly isolated incident) have suffered no real ill health. Why? I would have thought it would have been used to say 'look young people are fine'...but actually it feels more like its being used to boost positive tests to show we need a lockdown. I genuinely don't understand it, why do it? Was it just like the care homes...just a side effect of their main concern (keeping kids in school) they should have expected but were too lazy to consider? 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I’m not sure that the graph you have shown comes from week 40 data mate. Did you look at week 40 data and extract that graph yourself? 

Did you read the ONS data, it really does answer your questions.

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Funny trend in this thread. Your opinion is an opinion. Someone else's is a conspiracy theory. You've done it in the same post, too. 

Mind you, you are typing all of this upside down. So I will let you off. 

15 hours ago, sage said:

We will need a 2 week national lockdown in a week or two to give ourselves a reset and get the numbers down and buy us time to work out some of the problems.

You might well be right. Other than making sure the NHS can cope with increasing numbers, the priority has to be getting an adequate FTTIS system in place. One that works.

That should have been the main aim during the last national lockdown. If a properly functioning system had been in place by summer when numbers were manageable then, despite difficulties, I think we’d now be on a more positive path, both in terms of health and in terms of the economy.

Some bits i dont quite get so folks on here might help...

We are getting into flu and cold season, granted, however not as we know it. I have not heard a single report which says that since we are asked to social distance, wash hands wear masks, stay in, it may not be as bad as previous years.

Deprived, crowded area worst affected. Saw a graph on beeb site of how continents are affected, Africa is doing best, How can that be ? Got a friend teaching in Cairo and when i saw him in the summer he told me given the lack of hygiene compared to say Europe or US generally their immune systems are stronger. Again not really seen this mentionned anywhere.

China no sign of a second wave afaik, how did that happen ? We, in Europe kind of knew as soon as 1st wave was over that 2nd wave was on the cards and right on cue delivered.

Reports this morning that the new 'traffic light' system being unveiled this evening will have three levels: Medium; High; and Very High. Yet the Track & Trace app already includes a 3 tier score for 'your local area' which is graded as: Low; Medium; and High.

I wonder if Boris or Hancock know anyone who could organise a booze-up in a brewery as it seems quite clear that they can't.....

Archived