Jury service.

Rev

Was called up for Jury Service about 20 years ago at Nottingham Crown Court. Lot of waiting around until I got called to form a jury on a case of GBH against two brothers. 

By rights the defendants have the chance to reject members of the jury and when we were asked to go into the body of the court the brothers solicitors made representations to the judge that I should be removed from the jury due to bias. 

The judge then told me that as I have been in the same room as other jurers I couldn't then go back as it might prejudice the outcome of other cases so he discharged me after half a day. 

Still don't know who the brothers were or how they allegedly knew me. Was warned I could get called up again but hasn't happened as yet. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to get out of it citing my tinnitus which to be fair can be quite bad sometimes, they were having none of it. Was one of 14 to be called up for a serious case but was rejected because my notes mentioned the tinnitus and I assume the defence brief objected to someone who could be potentially mutton.

Sat on two minor cases though with no trouble...lots of waiting about as others have alluded to.

58 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Had his first day today. Sat waiting until 3pm, then told to return on Wednesday.

Of the dozen or so trails starting today, 1 got going leaving the rest in limbo.

Rinse and repeat for a fortnight, that's jury service. 

14 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Rinse and repeat for a fortnight, that's jury service. 

For Stafford Court, I had to ring up the night before to find out if I had to go in or not. After the first week of not being required to go in, I was told I wasn't required for the whole of the second week.
Maybe it's different for Derby.

On 18/02/2020 at 11:51, Ghost of Clough said:

For Stafford Court, I had to ring up the night before to find out if I had to go in or not. After the first week of not being required to go in, I was told I wasn't required for the whole of the second week.
Maybe it's different for Derby.

This was Lincoln about 15 years ago. 

Archived