Jury service.

Rev

My lad starts Jury service shortly, and has received a letter telling him that two long trials start during it, one 6 weeks and one 10. 

His employer has already told him they'll pay him in full for his 2 weeks service, but they certainly wouldn't cover his wages beyond that.

Is there a legitimate excuse he could use to be excused a long period serving on a jury, without presenting difficulties for himself or his employer?

They've already gone beyond their legal obligation by paying him for the initial period, but couldn't extend that for an longer spell.

He's on the minimum wage, would he be able to claim that he's an essential employee that the business couldn't do without bearing in mind that fact, and if so how vigorously do the court service follow up such claims?

Any advice appreciated!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad did a huge case when I was a kid, he had about 8 or so weeks off work and absolutely loved It. 
I remember him coming home after the first day saying “he did It, I’m not changing my mind....the food is great and they even pay for my parking..”

british justice system at its best. 

8 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

My lad starts Jury service shortly, and has received a letter telling him that two long trials start during it, one 6 weeks and one 10. 

His employer has already told him they'll pay him in full for his 2 weeks service, but they certainly wouldn't cover his wages beyond that.

Is there a legitimate excuse he could use to be excused a long period serving on a jury, without presenting difficulties for himself or his employer?

They've already gone beyond their legal obligation by paying him for the initial period, but couldn't extend that for an longer spell.

He's on the minimum wage, would he be able to claim that he's an essential employee that the business couldn't do without bearing in mind that fact, and if so how vigorously do the court service follow up such claims?

Any advice appreciated!

The employer has the right to not pay an employee during jury service.

He can ask to defer his jury service due to financial hardship by sending a letter to: 

Jury Central Summoning Bureau 
Phoenix House 
Rushton Avenue 
Bradford 
BD3 7BH 

Include evidence as to why he can’t do more than 2 weeks (letter from employer stating they won’t pay for more than the 2 weeks), and include dates he can do it in the future (state it can’t be for a period longer than 2 weeks).

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I would love to do it. Only know 1 person who has ever been called. 

I wouldn't. I only know one person who did it, it was a Rape case and was a very unpleasant experience he says.

It's up the Jury Service's discretion to decide what a legitimate reason not to attend just service is, your son just needs to make representations as per the address given above. 

Reasons I've know that have been accepted are proof of pre booked holidays at the same time, pre existing hospital procedures and claims of financial hardship.

As another poster has stated they might therefore look at deferring the decision but at some point will come back and arrange another subsequent jury service appointment which they probably will be less sympathetic if your son then tried to defer again. Might be better just to get it out of the way. 

On 15/02/2020 at 10:34, Angry Ram said:

I would love to do it. Only know 1 person who has ever been called. 

I'm 60, never been called. Also only ever known one person called. My dad, but he was sent home on first day when the case collapsed or something or other. So he didn't actually sit. I'd be happy to do it.

On 15/02/2020 at 10:37, Paul71 said:

I wouldn't. I only know one person who did it, it was a Rape case and was a very unpleasant experience he says.

Yeah also how "good" it is depends where you do it - in Derby they tend to do a lot of rape/child abuse cases. Nottingham gets all the murders

One of my colleagues did jury service a while back and we all thought it would be a week without him. Then he came after the first day to say that it would likely last 3 months (in fact it lasted even longer than that). Turned out it was the trial of some local gangland types involving a series of grisly crimes.

The as soon as he had returned to work, another colleague got called.

That's life.

I did it. Two weeks, half of which was waiting from 9am to about 3pm to be told you can go home. 

One case with a local scrote caught robbing a department store late at night. Thrown out by the judge because the cop who arrested him didn't know his sole testimony wasn't enough to convict and he had no other evidence. 

Second case was a group of Portuguese people living in a shared house. One got drunk and threatened the rest with a knife, refusing to let them leave. Technically kidnap, we found not guilty due to conflicting stories from the victims. 

Was interesting, but very, very boring. The most dedicated reader will start to tire after 6 hours or more reading per day, every day for a week or more. 

Archived