Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hilarious really,a few of games ago when he banged in two he was the dogs conkers and then after the while team lost to two far better sides than us,it's off with his head.

There will always be the faction ,I suppose, that don't like the Mac/dutch style of a holding centre forward but I suspect that even if the anti Martin brigade get their way and he leaves,they will just be disappointed to find that cocu brings in a very similar player to replace him.

And to be honest,I really don't know how we are going to fund this quicker,slimmer,younger and indeed,all round better centre forward.

Some heads need a swift wobble.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, its very subjective, using a stat that only takes certain things into account.

I seem to remember that Darren Bent could score goals but playing with him in the team was like playing with 10 men.

Not that I'm comparing Martin to Bent.

I'd have a wager that despite being the best striker in the division, Martin will not be in The Championship team of the season.

Come on then; give us your stat. The current one is:

1. The number of goals scored and assists per minute of playing time. 

I don’t understand your wager. As we know, the “team of the season” will be stuffed with the players from the top teams who get promoted. Just like the “player of the season” isn’t necessarily the best player. 

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

if the anti Martin brigade get their way and he leaves

1) There is no “anti Martin brigade”. 

2) If Martin leaves that will be either his or Cocu’s choice, not anyone on this forum.

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Come on then; give us your stat. The current one is:

1. The number of goals scored and assists per minute of playing time. 

I don’t understand your wager. As we know, the “team of the season” will be stuffed with the players from the top teams who get promoted. Just like the “player of the season” isn’t necessarily the best player. 

I dont think there is a stat that proves who is the best striker in the division.

Think it is about their overall game.

If you has said the most productive in contributing to goals there would be no argument as it's there in black and white.

5 minutes ago, David said:

2) If Martin leaves that will be either his or Cocu’s choice, not anyone on this forum.

Agreed. There is a pro - Martin group who revere him no matter what. And some posters who get annoyed with him when results don't go our way...in exactly the same way as they do about Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott... 

22 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hilarious really,a few of games ago when he banged in two he was the dogs conkers and then after the while team lost to two far better sides than us,it's off with his head.

There will always be the faction ,I suppose, that don't like the Mac/dutch style of a holding centre forward but I suspect that even if the anti Martin brigade get their way and he leaves,they will just be disappointed to find that cocu brings in a very similar player to replace him.

And to be honest,I really don't know how we are going to fund this quicker,slimmer,younger and indeed,all round better centre forward.

Some heads need a swift wobble.

Is in not possible for players to play well some weeks and not so well on others?

5 minutes ago, David said:

A good point to make @David but perhaps a tad too literal an interpretation of @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong’s point. It relates to the question “why do we “like” a player? I “like” cm19’s good looks and his intelligence. But they’re irrelevant because I like CM19 because he is a very effective player who does his job when the team performs properly. Did anyone ever say “we need to bin Charlie George because we just don’t play that way anymore” . 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Agreed. There is a pro - Martin group who revere him no matter what. And some posters who get annoyed with him when results don't go our way...in exactly the same way as they do about Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott... 

I wouldn’t even say annoyed to be honest.

All I have seen written is that the system Cocu plays isn’t really setup for him.

Making that point puts you into this imaginary “anti Martin brigade” and that’s why it’s hard to have any kind of honest and open discussion on him. 

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agreed. There is a pro - Martin group who revere him no matter what. 

No, the anti brigade would have this. Give me some quotes from Martin fans stating he is a footballing GOAT and can do NO wrong. Even I have never (except above!) written that.

Just now, Ellafella said:

A good point to make @David but perhaps a tad too literal an interpretation of @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong’s point. It relates to the question “why do we “like” a player? I “like” cm19’s good looks and his intelligence. But they’re irrelevant because I like CM19 because he is a very effective player who does his job when the team performs properly. Did anyone ever say “we need to bin Charlie George because we just don’t play that way anymore” . 

Maybe, but I can’t understand the “anti Martin brigade” bit, that’s why I pulled it out. 

I wasn’t around when Charlie George was playing so couldn’t answer that one, I would imagine football has changed a lot since then and has become more tactical. 

If players don’t suit certain systems and not others, what even are tactics?

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Toddy and Ninos were the only members of that club, and they're long gone.

Exactly. Those are the only 2 members I can think of that were truly anti Martin and they haven’t been around for a while.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont think there is a stat that proves who is the best striker in the division.

Think it is about their overall game.

If you has said the most productive in contributing to goals there would be no argument as it's there in black and white.

There is no perfect statistic but that one is the best there is (goals and assists per minute played) for a forward. And stats don’t ever really prove anything even the most complex multi Variate models. I know this because I’m a professional statistician. So if CM has the top rating in the Division on that stat, it’s worth taking note of. It’s the best single indicator there is. 

I thought Martin was one of our better players yesterday.

Did notice Sibley losing the ball when he should have passed to Bogle on one occasion leaving us desperately scrambling backwards and nobody will bat an eyelid. 

Depend how much money Martin wants or if he gets a better offer that will determine his future. 

I'd be rid asap. Offers absolutely nothing. My finger was at the ready after the forest game but he popped up in the dying seconds which glossed over his performance. He doesn't run, show, shoot, anything. 

One of the few decent performances tonight out of a proper shower of poo.

Our forwards just have zero to work from as illustrated by the total lack of service that Marriott also suffered from tonight.

Darty and quick or steady and diligent,it doesn't matter which striker is on the pitch at the minute as they rarely get to see the ball.

I did like him at one stage but I think hes the reason we just pass it about on the half way line. He doesn't move. Run in behind, show, anything. We'll never score alot of goals with him up top. 5 shots on target (as a team) in 3 games is awful. A striker should be doing double that on his own. 

3 minutes ago, Xlor said:

I did like him at one stage but I think hes the reason we just pass it about on the half way line. He doesn't move. Run in behind, show, anything. We'll never score alot of goals with him up top. 5 shots on target (as a team) in 3 games is awful. A striker should be doing double that on his own. 

Dear me, and with Marriott or Waghorn it will be different? Oh btw the never score a lot of goals is very funny. #TwitterTroll

Archived