The Politics Thread 2020

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Happy fathers day to all you lefties. 

Of course you right wingers will take offence because "all parents matter" ?

You spend too much time on social media and trying to ban people for calling you a hypocrite. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Norman said:

Think I only made a few posts in the last 2 weeks or so in this thread, haven't I? 

And I only posted about the match yesterday evening? 

Oh well. I will take the fact that you follow my posts so closely as a compliment.

It's not that. I just noticed that when some right-wing members were flailing around last weekend trying to justify the behaviour of the 'counter' to the anti-racist protests, the right's big hitters on this thread were completely absent.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's not that. I just noticed that when some right-wing members were flailing around last weekend trying to justify the behaviour of the 'counter' to the anti-racist protests, the right's big hitters on this thread were completely absent.

Who are the right big hitters

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm not on the right. My political compass says I'm bang in the centre. 

I've had to work nights since late March 7 on, 7 off, due to corona and more illnesses and self harm in prisons due to their lockdown. So extra, experienced staff were put on nights permanently to deal with it. 

My posting history will show you it is massively patchy. I don't know who the other big hitters are?

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm not on the right. My political compass says I'm bang in the centre. 

I've had to work nights since late March 7 on, 7 off, due to corona and more illnesses and self harm in prisons due to their lockdown. So extra, experienced staff were put on nights permanently to deal with it. 

My posting history will show you it is massively patchy. I don't know who the other big hitters are?

I have respect for your views. Don't agree with them often but you should post more. It's stimulating. 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Large scale protests and riots across multiple US and UK cities = *crickets*

Republican rally = "moral abomination"

Did you forget about covid for the last several weeks, or do you only criticise mass gatherings when you disagree with the politics of the attendees?

That's a somewhat bizarre post. I wasn't commenting on the rally attendees as such, who would have been more comparable to the protesters.  I was commenting on the man who organized the rally in his own interests. 

I think I did question the timing of the protests, or at least I agreed with the many others that did.  I also suggested that anyone engaging in violence or vandalism during them was doing the undoubtedly worthy cause more harm than good.

But you are not comparing like with like for so many reasons.  The BLM protests happened in response to a brutal killing by the police, the actions by the police determined the timing of the public anger and the protests themselves.  Unlike the Trump rally which had been planned long in advance.  The protests were outdoors....the rally indoors, which is far worse according to public health officials. 

But most importantly Trump is the President.  It is his responsibility to lead the US through the Covid-19 crises, more than anyone else.  It's down to him to lead by example, to show the American public how to behave during the pandemic.  That's not the case for the BLM protesters.  But Trump chose to do none of that...instead he decided that his re-election is far more important than the health of Americans.

Rather than focusing on attempted 'gotcha' moments with fellow posters why not consider what Trump has actually done instead.  Do you think, in the middle of the Covid pandemic that it was a good idea for the President of the US to hold an indoor rally for the purposes of his re-election?  Yes or No?

13 minutes ago, cstand said:

Certified by the left wing  I am not a right wing poster in the the politics forum time to celebrate thanks lefties.

No, I think that he was insinuating that you weren't a 'big hitter'.

59 minutes ago, Norman said:

This Covid situation must be very trying for the prison population, like an extra punishment.  Is there any effort being made by the prison authorities to try and get them through this?  Do the ill get the medical assistance they require?  Are psychiatrists on offer?

Archived