The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

even the most rampant swivel-eyed brexiteer must agree it would be fooolhardy to press on with a Dec 31st exit if we've lost half the (already too short) transition period to Covid-19 issues

You haven't really been paying attention have you?

That's like saying that someone who is determined to throw themselves off a bridge and end it all may have 2nd thoughts because the water has frozen over.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I suspect that Johnson is secretly thanking his lucky stars that Covid-19 is giving him a lifeline to play. If we end up in full lockdown like Italy - the economic shock that will cause, plus the absolute side-tracking of government into dealing with the crisis will leave them no choice but to request an extension. The fortuitous points being that there will be no resistance from the other member states (as they will be in a similar boat and we'll be the least of their worries) - and even the most rampant swivel-eyed brexiteer must agree it would be fooolhardy to press on with a Dec 31st exit if we've lost half the (already too short) transition period to Covid-19 issues

Italy is not in full lockdown. You can still fly in and out, the borders are open, you can travel to work etc. What does full lockdown mean?

I agree with the delay in the transition period that is being called for. It's a must now although those conversations should rightly be behind closed doors and not openly in the press.

15 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I very much hope you're right. All it needs is a few revolutionary guards to try to board an oil tanker and the situation can change overnight.

Do you ever sleep at night? You're bag of nerves.

31 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I very much hope you're right. All it needs is a few revolutionary guards to try to board an oil tanker and the situation can change overnight.

True but that’s been the case for a very long time. Given the current Coronavirus virus, particularly in Iran, I really don’t think there is any chance such an action would trigger an invasion. Even under normal circumstances I think it would take more than that.

Try not to worry about it. There is plenty to worry about right now but I don’t think an invasion is one of them. 

37 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Not exactly been trigger happy in his first term though has he. 

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

True but that’s been the case for a very long time. Given the current Coronavirus virus, particularly in Iran, I really don’t think there is any chance such an action would trigger an invasion. Even under normal circumstances I think it would take more than that.

Try not to worry about it. There is plenty to worry about right now but I don’t think an invasion is one of them. 

The stock markets must have read your posts because they are on the up again today. Nevertheless, we are all at the mercy of unanticipated events and, in my opinion, the only solution is to increase international cooperation so that countries can find a stable framework for dealing with problems like Iran, Syria, mass migration, the coronavirus and global warming, etc. The Bretton Woods agreement after WW2 was a classic example which did lead to lasting peace and a genuine levelling up, at least in the west. We never had it so good.

Instead, people seem to be preoccupied with putting up new barriers, starting culture wars and wrecking the institutions that served them so well compared to the situtation before WW2.

17 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The stock markets must have read your posts because they are on the up again today. Nevertheless, we are all at the mercy of unanticipated events and, in my opinion, the only solution is to increase international cooperation so that countries can find a stable framework for dealing with problems like Iran, Syria, mass migration, the coronavirus and global warming, etc. The Bretton Woods agreement after WW2 was a classic example which did lead to lasting peace and a genuine levelling up, at least in the west. We never had it so good.

Instead, people seem to be preoccupied with putting up new barriers, starting culture wars and wrecking the institutions that served them so well compared to the situtation before WW2.

If you could achieve that you’d be sainted my friend or, at the very least, a Nobel prize winner.

By the way, wasn’t the Bretton Woods agreement purely focused on the international monetary system? Would it have addressed such issues as those you have listed?

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If you could achieve that you’d be sainted my friend or, at the very least, a Nobel prize winner.

By the way, wasn’t the Bretton Woods agreement purely focused on the international monetary system? Would it have addressed such issues as those you have listed?

Okay, you can also add the United Nations, the OECD, the World Health Organization, the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and, dare I say it, the EU to that list. John Maynard Keynes should have been awarded the Nobel Prize for his life's work and his work on Bretton Woods in particular.

Let's face it, who had ever heard of coronaviruses before about a month ago apart from a few experts. I went to the doctors the other day, and one poor woman was sitting on a chair outside the surgery all wrapped up with a mask over her face. All it takes is for one single gene to mutate in a virus nestling in the gut of a pig somewhere in China and the world's stock markets fall by 10% in one day!

I don't expect humanity to join hands in an orgy of peace, tolerance and brotherly love either, and you should certainly wash your hands before you do so, but it is a timely reminder that international cooperation is essential for dealing with events like this, It's certainly better than worrying about what colour your bloody passport is.

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

My narrative? Yeah cos I definitely have one of those about coronavirus ?

You could have just said "a partial lockdown" is more accurate, and explained the above. No need for the petty insult was there?

Latest FCO advice, just in case you want to go.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Italy, due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) and in line with various controls and restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities on 9 March.

British nationals remain able to depart Italy without restriction. Airports remain open throughout Italy. However, airline schedules are subject to change and some flights are being cancelled. Travellers are advised to check flight details with airlines.

Additional restrictions include the closure of museums, cultural institutions and the suspension of all public gatherings and sporting events. Religious ceremonies and funerals are suspended. Ski facilities are closed. Childcare facilities, schools and universities are closed until 3 April. Restaurants and bars remain open with restricted hours and reduced seating.

If you’re returning to the UK from Italy, consult the latest advice from the Department of Health and Social Care on actions to take.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Latest FCO advice, just in case you want to go.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Italy, due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) and in line with various controls and restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities on 9 March.

British nationals remain able to depart Italy without restriction. Airports remain open throughout Italy. However, airline schedules are subject to change and some flights are being cancelled. Travellers are advised to check flight details with airlines.

Additional restrictions include the closure of museums, cultural institutions and the suspension of all public gatherings and sporting events. Religious ceremonies and funerals are suspended. Ski facilities are closed. Childcare facilities, schools and universities are closed until 3 April. Restaurants and bars remain open with restricted hours and reduced seating.

If you’re returning to the UK from Italy, consult the latest advice from the Department of Health and Social Care on actions to take.

Well why didn't you just say so! ?

47 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Think I did but it was over your head.

I'm just honoured you thought I was worth the effort. I just nipped to the shop and noted that today your fave, the Sun newspaper had the words "Italy in total lockdown" on the front cover. Must have been quite time consuming for you to take their editorial team to task over a semantic disagreement!

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm just honoured you thought I was worth the effort. I just nipped to the shop and noted that today your fave, the Sun newspaper had the words "Italy in total lockdown" on the front cover. Must have been quite time consuming for you to take their editorial team to task over a semantic disagreement!

Have not purchased a paper in 10 years

7 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

One of the first things Johnson did after the election was to 'elevate' Goldsmith and Morgan to the house of Lords so they could sit, unelected, in cabinet. Where were your democratic principles then?

Get rid of the house Lords sorted. Long over due IMO.

5 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Never get involved in the Middle East problems walk away. Still to do.

Never accept mass migration sorted.

Never accept to ruled by anti democratic EU commission sorted.

Never vote for Labour Party until drastic changes are made sorted.

Archived