The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wonder if what he said will be classed as fake outrage?

Most of it is historical, calling out Labour recently over anti-semtitism seems to have triggered the suspension.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-veteran-trevor-phillips-suspended-over-islamophobia-allegations-11953457

As with some other policies Labour are promoting, their target audience is now the vocal outrage mob on twitter and the block Muslim vote - they are on course to becoming and irrelevance for years and therefore complicit in allowing the Tories to do whatever they want in the meantime. Happy days ?

26 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Do all muslims vote the same way then? Didn't know that

That would be like thinking all Sun/Daily Mail readers voted Leave...

47 minutes ago, Anon said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes, but moreso than any other religious demographic

Hmm - interesting that they don't have Sikh or Hindu as separate categories, despite the fact that there are twice as many Sikhs as jews and 3 times as many Hindus. Also funny that they managed to break Christianity into 6 different groups! I guess if you included all the largely east asian religions it might become more obvious that a majority of oppressed groups vote for the party that is least likely to enable their further oppression. Hardly a surprise

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Hmm - interesting that they don't have Sikh or Hindu as separate categories, despite the fact that there are twice as many Sikhs as jews and 3 times as many Hindus. Also funny that they managed to break Christianity into 6 different groups! I guess if you included all the largely east asian religions it might become more obvious that a majority of oppressed groups vote for the party that is least likely to enable their further oppression. Hardly a surprise

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-4-charts-that-show-labour-may-be-losing-the-ethnic-minority-vote-10274051.html

According to this alt right source, Hindus and Sikhs do not favour Labour nearly as much as you imagine.

1 minute ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Also known as the Scottish Episcopal Church

The internet tells me they're different. CoS is Presbyterian, apparently. 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Do all muslims vote the same way then? Didn't know that

Keep defending your most loyal supporters no matter what happens will mean another disaster for the Labour Party at the polling booths, so please carry on regardless. 

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Probably pointless arguing about politics when the world is teetering on some unprecedentedly messed up times. Wall street just suspended trading because of an impending crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51796806

I agree there are fair more important things to argue about than politics (and hand towels!) just now and things don't look great for the financial markets, economies and, of course, most importantly peoples health and lives but, trading only stopped for 15 minutes. 

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

R-R are obviously one of the most respected engine manufacturers globally. There's no reason for any region to suddenly decide they aren't airworthy and it's in nobody's interests to do so. For instance, should the EU say no you can't use R-R engines it would immediately lead to enormous tit-for-tat sanctions and a full-on trade war. For zero good reason whatsoever. So it's not going to happen.

No, that won't.......but Priti will have found something for her 8.5m economically inactives to do.......they can all become regulators of something to replace the EU bodies we aren't part of thereby becoming fully economically acti....er......oh.....hang on.....?

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree there are fair more important things to argue about than politics (and hand towels!) just now and things don't look great for the financial markets, economies and, of course, most importantly peoples health and lives but, trading only stopped for 15 minutes. 

Well I am buying BP shares lowest price for 20 plus years.

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Not sure how accurate the figures are, but the EU aviation regulatory body we are ditching on 31st Dec apparently cost us £4m a year, it's going to cost us £35m when we go it alone.

That's in line with what I read. So if that's replicated across a wide range of industries, AND we end up with tariffs then logically that is going to hurt our competitiveness. 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

And "only" the 5th biggest one day fall in the Dow, so yeah nothing to see here... ?

Archived