Czechia vs England

Van der MoodHoover

Can't find any news about line-ups yet, but hoping that big Fik gets a go because Maguire and Keane as a pair looked dreadful against Kosovo.

Having witnessed the Prague crowd-control police in action earlier this year I hope our fans behave themselves - for their sakes. The biggest individuals I had ever seen, and bristling with weaponry.......? 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see something like this - 

----------------------------Pickford

Alexander-Arnold----Maguire-----Tomori------Rose

------------------------------Rice

------------------Henderson-------Mount

Sancho-------------------------------------------Stirling

-----------------------------Kane

Agree on the centre half situation, the way Maguire and Keane have been playing neither deserve a place in this starting 11... I’d be tempted with slightly experimental like

Pope

Alexander-Arnold Gomez Tomori Chillwell

Henderson

Mount Barkley 

Sterling Kane Sancho

Tho I expect a totally different back 6 at least.

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree on the centre half situation, the way Maguire and Keane have been playing neither deserve a place in this starting 11... I’d be tempted with slightly experimental like

Pope

Alexander-Arnold Gomez Tomori Chillwell

Henderson

Mount Barkley 

Sterling Kane Sancho

Tho I expect a totally different back 6 at least.

I'd even go poo or bust and put Rice in for Henderson and Anybody in for Barkley - the England of the future......?

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm guessing that Maddison might have featured if he hadn't been injured.

Yeah, he would have been my choice if he had been available, he's been playing so well recently it would have been hard to leave him out. Henderson and Rice rarely ever work together and is too defensive against sides that are just going to defend against us. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

At club level perhaps, Barkleys tended to play quite well in an england shirt most of the time.

Couldn't disagree more. Barkley occasionally looks alright against some Eastern European farmers, but never played well against a respectable opposition. Winks is a better, more cultured player and much more intelligent.

Just now, Andicis said:

Couldn't disagree more. Barkley occasionally looks alright against some Eastern European farmers, but never played well against a respectable opposition. Winks is a better, more cultured player and much more intelligent.

Have to agree to disagree then- in any case they’re vastly different types of player and in a properly set up 433 it shouldn’t be one against the other. That looks like a 4231 however, for reasons I don’t understand against a team like the Czech Republic. Rice or Henderson, not both unless we’re playing someone like France.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to agree to disagree then- in any case they’re vastly different types of player and in a properly set up 433 it shouldn’t be one against the other. That looks like a 4231 however, for reasons I don’t understand against a team like the Czech Republic. Rice or Henderson, not both unless we’re playing someone like France.

I don't know why we need a holding midfielder at all in these games. It's not like they ever try play football against us, they all sit back and try play on the break, and inevitably lose by 4 or 5 goals to us. They won't be able to live with Sterling, Sancho or Kane. It would be a decent place to have brought in Tomori as he wouldn't have to do too much defending. 

Rice and Henderson doesn't work as a pairing. They nullify each other. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I don't know why we need a holding midfielder at all in these games. It's not like they ever try play football against us, they all sit back and try play on the break, and inevitably lose by 4 or 5 goals to us. They won't be able to live with Sterling, Sancho or Kane. It would be a decent place to have brought in Tomori as he wouldn't have to do too much defending. 

Rice and Henderson doesn't work as a pairing. They nullify each other. 

Think there’s always a place for a holding midfielder myself, just not always a defensive one. Think there’s a big difference there. Against opponents like this, the flow of the game (should) be almost entirely in the opposition half. Thus any midfielder should be contributing more attacking wise than defensive wise. So there’s no need for a Shinnie type defensive mid so to speak, like rice kind of is, because we shouldn’t really need that shield. We’d be better served just having one player there who’s strengths lie more on the ball rather than off it- I think Henderson is probably the best we have for this role with a couple of proper attacking mids in front of him- though I must admit that’s still not ideal. Maybe winks would work there in all fairness, may be worth a go on monday.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think there’s always a place for a holding midfielder myself, just not always a defensive one. Think there’s a big difference there. Against opponents like this, the flow of the game (should) be almost entirely in the opposition half. Thus any midfielder should be contributing more attacking wise than defensive wise. So there’s no need for a Shinnie type defensive mid so to speak, like rice kind of is, because we shouldn’t really need that shield. We’d be better served just having one player there who’s strengths lie more on the ball rather than off it- I think Henderson is probably the best we have for this role with a couple of proper attacking mids in front of him- though I must admit that’s still not ideal. Maybe winks would work there in all fairness, may be worth a go on monday.

Agree with that sentiment. Rice is a bit too poor on the ball for my liking, and not brilliant enough defensively to make up for it. I'd rather see (assuming he is well) for games like this in the future a midfield of Winks, Maddison and Mount, very attacking, but I also think they wouldn't have any trouble in a game like this and it helps us fit in players like Maddison and Mount for the future. 

Archived