Czechia vs England

Van der MoodHoover

Southgate is just Nigel Clough when he took over Derby. Got rid of all the old, over rated, over paid rubbish, brought through some decent youth, looked decent from time to time but ultimately was never gonna win anything ever. 

Step forward... Steve McClaren. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve seen the idea mooted that Southgate likes a workman like midfield to supplement the stunning attack because it’s not too dissimilar from Liverpool’s system. 

I’m a Rice skeptic myself but I don’t think today’s the day to judge him. I went into detail about it in the Bielik thread but I think 4231 sells players of Rice’s (supposed) mould down the river. 

Not sure what to think about tonight, in terms of Southgate. He was clearly poor tactically when Croatia spent 75 minutes switching the ball out wide and working overloads but 4231, with no natural link player or not, you’d still expect us to keep the ball better. 

Sorry if this has been said before as I hold my hand-up in being too lazy to read the whole thread, but when I was watching England last night it was like I'd been whisked into some weird parallel universe and I was back at Brentford, even the shirts were the right colour.

England weren't bad, they were much worse than that.

England should go for Mourinho as the manager, someone who can organise a defence if they want to win something, England will always score goals because of how good the attack is.. Pragmatic managers have won international trophies in recent years - Dechamps with France, Fernando Santos with Portugal- Tite with Brazil, Loew with Germany, Del Bosque with Spain. Having a good attack won’t win anything in international football, having a solid defence will. 
All those teams were just like this England team, getting to the latter stages of tournaments before failing because their defences kept making mistakes. 

13 hours ago, cannable said:

The Maddison love-in is getting on my tits if I’m honest. 

Most of his goals and assists are from his lethal set-pieces. 

He’s being built up as the messiah when he’s about as good as a handful of other England midfielders. 

I’d go as far to say that, unless you’re desperate for a set-piece taker, you’d have Grealish in the side over him. 

One could argue the same with Sancho, his stats are inflated because of the all out attacking managers he’s had at BVB . He’s a terrific player but he should be an impact player for now off the bench. I’d play Rashford instead of him because of Rashford’s ability to run in behind , Rashford’s been poor for Man U but he’s always reliable for England. Not convinced by sterling on the left either, always felt he’s better on the right.

I didn't watch whole game as it was sooooo boring. But what I did watch, it seemed more like Southgate's Middlesborough team than the England team we have seen lately. Strange change.

Also, Croatia is decent team and even though they don't have such big names as they used to, it still competitive bunch and will give game to anyone.

I'll be honest I don't really think any of that back four would have been my first choice. Maybe I'm biased after he played for us, but I would have started Tomori at CB and maybe Mings as well. Fullbacks I would definitely have had ALexander Arnold and CHillwell starting. The defensive mids didn't work great either.

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

How did Mason Mount do ?

He was quite poor to be fair. Couldn’t get involved enough to influence our attack and gave away niggly fouls when he tried to help the defence.

it was a dreadful performance by the whole team including the manager.

heres another thought-why don’t England managers seem to change faces in their coaching teams. Add new thinking as opposed to getting stale? Southgate and Holland look like they could do with some new ideas....

Last night’s result was irrelevant to our qualification hopes, but it spoke volumes about our chances of winning a tournament.

Last night is a prime example of why we can’t be expected to win the Euros.

Even if we have reached two semi finals in two years, this team is showing itself to be very much in transition and a long way from winning anything.

Anything beyond the quarter finals is surely a bonus, because we are never too far away from dropping an absolute stinker like we did last night.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Last night’s result was irrelevant to our qualification hopes, but it spoke volumes about our chances of winning a tournament.

Last night is a prime example of why we can’t be expected to win the Euros.

Even if we have reached two semi finals in two years, this team is showing itself to be very much in transition and a long way from winning anything.

Anything beyond the quarter finals is surely a bonus, because we are never too far away from dropping an absolute stinker like we did last night.

Not sure what we’re transitioning to tbh....

probably going to get hammered for this but here goes , Eric Dier plays that cdm position so much better than Henderson and Rice, and also , cant stand the guy but give Grealish a go plays the midfield role very well , knows when to drop in and when to go forward , Englands midfield needs a shake up

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

probably going to get hammered for this but here goes , Eric Dier plays that cdm position so much better than Henderson and Rice, and also , cant stand the guy but give Grealish a go plays the midfield role very well , knows when to drop in and when to go forward , Englands midfield needs a shake up

Used to like dier. But he’s played like a complete arse the last few times he’s played for England.

Archived