Now the dust has settled... some football?

IslandExile

After the disappointment of Frank leaving - come on, last season was great fun - I was thrilled that Mel continued the progression and appointed Cocu.

I thoroughly bought into the idea of building something sustainable and long term by bringing the youngsters through the academy - even if it meant no promotion for yet another year. At least there was a strategy and we'd be entertained along the way.

But I've not enjoyed the frenzy of the past few days.

Rooney, to me, is the best English player of the past decade. I still think he has it in him to contribute big time on the pitch as a championship midfielder.

But, maybe because we've been starved of success for so long, I'm surprised by the over-excitement on here. Like Shilton, Ravenelli and, dare I say Kinkadze, he is past his best.

So, too was Dave Mackay, but he helped the club achieve what it did by installing a winning mentality.

I think Rooney can do the same. I think Ashley Cole did it to an extent last year.

I also think he'll be a great inspiration, especially to the academy kids, the parents of prospects deciding on a club and, as I say, even to the first team.

The great thing to me is, despite his success, Rooney seems humble, no ego and - like Gazza before him - just loves football. You can imagine either of them joining in kickabouts on the rec.

What I dread though, from January on, is the media frenzy. I understand that is the price of having high profile names (and the route to sponsorship) but I cannot help feel - as it did this week - that it is a distraction to what Cocu and his staff are starting to build here.

I want Derby to be in the news because of their style of free flowing football. Not because of the media circus that will turn up when there are no Premier League games.

After Rooney, of course, any other signings in the transfer window would inevitably be an anticlimax. They were.

Paterson may be what we need and I can forgive his ill thought out Superbowl comment. But he didn't come over very well in his interview. Ok, so he's a footballer and not a TV personality but "yeah, playing for Derby, it's just how it is, I suppose" isn't too enthusiastic.

Compare that with Ben Hamer who came over really well.

Maybe time with Waggy and Wazza will have a positive effect on young Jamie.

But, anyhow, my point was that I really enjoyed the game against Huddersfield and looked forward to the addition of Marriott, Holmes and Bielik. So, again, I think some of today's reaction to not bringing in star players has been a bit OTT.

Let's now get back to football.

Come on you Rams.

(Thanks for listening to my rant)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more.

Very new to the forum, and have been closely monitoring all the action throughout the week, but thought against posting until the dust has settled a bit.

Was at Huddersfield on Monday, and whilst the Rooney rumours were in overdrive, it was great to just watch the footy without all the slideshows.

Would be very happy with a repeat performance tomorrow.

Bring on 3 o'clock.

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

After the disappointment of Frank leaving - come on, last season was great fun - I was thrilled that Mel continued the progression and appointed Cocu.

I thoroughly bought into the idea of building something sustainable and long term by bringing the youngsters through the academy - even if it meant no promotion for yet another year. At least there was a strategy and we'd be entertained along the way.

Rooney, to me, is the best English player of the past decade. I still think he has it in him to contribute big time on the pitch as a championship midfielder.

But, maybe because we've been starved of success for so long, I'm surprised by the over-excitement on here. Like Shilton, Ravenelli and, dare I say Kinkadze, he is past his best.

So, too was Dave Mackay, but he helped the club achieve what it did by installing a winning mentality.

I think Rooney can do the same. I think Ashley Cole did it to an extent last year.

I also think he'll be a great inspiration, especially to the academy kids, the parents of prospects deciding on a club and, as I say, even to the first team.

The great thing to me is, despite his success, Rooney seems humble, no ego and - like Gazza before him - just loves football. You can imagine either of them joining in kickabouts on the rec.

What I dread though, from January on, is the media frenzy. I understand that is the price of having high profile names (and the route to sponsorship) but I cannot help feel - as it did this week - that it is a distraction to what Cocu and his staff are starting to build here.

I want Derby to be in the news because of their style of free flowing football. Not because of the media circus that will turn up when there are no Premier League games.

After Rooney, of course, any other signings in the transfer window would inevitably be an anticlimax. They were.

Paterson may be what we need and I can forgive his ill thought out Superbowl comment. But he didn't come over very well in his interview. Ok, so he's a footballer and not a TV personality but "yeah, playing for Derby, it's just how it is, I suppose" isn't too enthusiastic.

But, anyhow, my point was that I really enjoyed the game against Huddersfield and looked forward to the addition of Marriott, Holmes and Bielik. So, again, I think some of today's reaction to not bringing in star players has been a bit OTT.

Come on you Rams.

Great post @IslandExile. You’ve articulated a big concern of mine that is already playing out in the form of criticism in the broadsheets about gambling. Once Wazza comes in January there will be a media circus around PP and it concerns me that they won’t allow Wayne to settle and get on with his life and ultimately the team and Club will suffer. I wonder what ideas the Club have around this. 

I think it’s important that the fans get the opportunity to bond with WR ASAP...rather that WR bonds with the Derby fans to help him focus on his job and see the link to what he’s hoping to achieve. That clearly happened with FL; whilst we may not all like the so-called “bounce” it was a real fillip to achieving that key relationship between the manager and the core fans. 

There are a lot of people who will want to see the WR story end in tears for Derby including tabloid journos so I wonder what if anything can be done to counteract that?  

It will help if the Team are already doing well which I’m confident they will be. 

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Come on you Rams.

Great post, not a rant at all. 

I think with Wayne we just take what happens and smile. It might be a media frenzy and a damp squib in the end, but just as easily it could be a catalyst that lifts us off a plateau. I’m dreaming that we’ll get a couple of special days in January or February to warm our footy hearts in winter;  from a supremely talented player in the autumn of his career. 

I loved your “it was fun” referring to last season. Yes it was. I agree that Cocu inspires confidence beyond being a quick fix merchant. Queue for the roller coaster is now down to a day and a bit. I can’t wait to get on board 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Great post @IslandExile. You’ve articulated a big concern of mine that is already playing out in the form of criticism in the broadsheets about gambling. Once Wazza comes in January there will be a media circus around PP and it concerns me that they won’t allow Wayne to settle and get on with his life and ultimately the team and Club will suffer. I wonder what ideas the Club have around this. 

I think it’s important that the fans get the opportunity to bond with WR ASAP...rather that WR bonds with the Derby fans to help him focus on his job and see the link to what he’s hoping to achieve. That clearly happened with FL; whilst we may not all like the so-called “bounce” it was a real fillip to achieving that key relationship between the manager and the core fans. 

There are a lot of people who will want to see the WR story end in tears for Derby including tabloid journos so I wonder what if anything can be done to counteract that?  

It will help if the Team are already doing well which I’m confident they will be. 

Compared to hysteria around a lot of Man U's preseason tours of the Far East, the level of attention he'll get round these parts will be a drop in the ocean.  Considering he's been in the spotlight for 20 odd years, I'm sure he has his coping mechanisms

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Compared to hysteria around a lot of Man U's preseason tours of the Far East, the level of attention he'll get round these parts will be a drop in the ocean.  Considering he's been in the spotlight for 20 odd years, I'm sure he has his coping mechanisms

Perhaps. We’ll see. 

54 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, I'm sure Wazza will cope.

I'm just afraid that the media attention may distract the rest of the team and interfere with what Cocu is trying to achieve.

We'll be 10 points clear by Jan, so the media will already be all over us ?

42 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

its forecast to blow an absolute hooly and p** don tomorrow - don't expect much football at PP, it's the right conditions for  rowett hoof-fest!!

?

As you may know @HantsRam, it'll be so windy tomorrow even the sailing here in Cowes has been cancelled.

Funny, they cancel it for light winds too. Basically, I think they just like to go to the bars and reminisce about the time the wind was just right and they had no excuse but to actually go sailing.

Just now, IslandExile said:

As you may know @HantsRam, it'll be so windy tomorrow even the sailing here in Cowes has been cancelled.

Funny, they cancel it for light winds too. Basically, I think they just like to go to the bars and reminisce about the time the wind was just right and they had no excuse but to actually go sailing.

Used to work for Skandia who headline sponsored cowes week for about 10 years.

manys the time we were expected to host gangs of bibulous and lecherous financial advisers......with sadly predictable results.

dont think I ever saw any sailing.....?

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

its forecast to blow an absolute hooly and p** don tomorrow - don't expect much football at PP, it's the right conditions for  rowett hoof-fest!!

?

On the contrary, it's the perfect time to get the ball down on the deck and play some football. Bring it on.

Archived