Where will Rooney play?

Chester40

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

He'll sit in the middle of the park spraying 50 yard crossfielders all game. Oppo's will triple up on him creating wide open psaces for the rest of the team to exploit. Chris Martin will be drafted back in to fall over a lot and win us 5 -10 free-kicks a game, half of which Wazza will bury in one top corner or the other. Bielik will snap the spine of anyone attempting to roughhouse Wazza, the Stud will find inspiration, lose a stone and net 30 goals this season, half the current United 'faithful' will defect and become lifelong Rams and Uncle Phil will lead us to CL glory in 2021 with us smashing Citeh 6-1 in a the one-sided final ever seen.

What a time to be alive.

Make that final 7:0 to beat the current record when the mighty Bury beat us and I'm with you. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think to be honest he won't have a set position. Playing for Sam Allardyce at Everton he played CAM, CM and on the right flank of a 442. I would imagine we'll move to a more 4-1-4-1 to accommodate for the amount of quality front players we have.

He definitely won't be playing up front much, think it requires too much pressing, running the channels and stamina for someone his age. 

2 hours ago, Shang said:

He definitely won't be playing up front much, think it requires too much pressing, running the channels and stamina for someone his age. 

I disagree, that's not how we've been playing ala Nuge headless chicken chasing. Closing down yes, but from deeper mostly. So I reckon if Wayne fancies playing up front, particularly at home then why not, he's still good enough for sure!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I disagree, that's not how we've been playing ala Nuge headless chicken chasing. Closing down yes, but from deeper mostly. So I reckon if Wayne fancies playing up front, particularly at home then why not, he's still good enough for sure!

Waghorn against Huddersfield was pretty much constantly running and trying to stretch play. Was roaming behind the opposition CB lines to confuse them during long balls up to him and ghosting in front (which didn't work very well during the match).

I think Rooney would play with either a pairing with another striker (probably not as the number 9) or as an attacking midfielder who pulls strings and score goals. In the few MLS highlights I've seen, he's more of a striker to be at the edge of the box and shoot from outside the area or arrive late inside rather than fighting with the opposition centre backs.

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

Waghorn against Huddersfield was pretty much constantly running and trying to stretch play. Was roaming behind the opposition CB lines to confuse them during long balls up to him and ghosting in front (which didn't work very well during the match).

Whatever he was doing, which didn't include winning balls in the air, wasn't working very well. He also missed a couple of v good chances. So I don't see why Rooney wouldn't do much better.

I can see something a bit like this 

Roos 

Bogle.      Keogh.          Clarke.      Malone 

Bielik

Ibe*.  Dowell/Holmes.   Rooney.  Lawrence

Waghorn

*If we manage to get that one done ?

Archived