Record Eighth Playoff Campaign

Yojimbo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but just noticed this on the BBC page previewing the match;

This campaign will be Derby's EIGHTH second tier playoff campaign, which is now the most by any club. We don't exactly have a sparkling record in them unfortunately.

Second Division (1991/92) - 3rd Place - Lost in S/F to Blackburn Rovers 4-5 on aggregate.

First Division (1993/94) - 6th Place - Lost in Final to Leicester City 1-2

Championship (2004/05) - 4th Place - Lost in S/F to Preston North End 0-2 on aggregate

Championship (2006/07) - 3rd Place - Beat West Bromwich Albion 1-0 in the final.

Championship (2003/14) - 3rd Place - Lost in Final to Q.P.R. 0-1

Championship (2015/16) - 5th Place - Lost in S/F to Hull City 2-3 on aggregate

Championship (2017/18) - 6th Place - Lost in S/F to Fulham 1-2 on aggregate

Championship (2018/19) - 6th Place - ......

That was a long old season, I’ll tell the grandkids about it when I get some.

55 minutes ago, ossieram said:

After we played them they were relegated back down and then went down to league one and also ripped off loads of people when they went into administration. They've only done well in the prem since they got the Thai money.

Indeed - interesting to think that he bought the club for £39m and they were valued at around £450m at the point they won the league (might be more now?). I just made the point to try and highlight the level of difficulty associated with making that transition to Premiership. I know we can talk about Wolves, Bournemouth or Watford but the truth is that actually only about a dozen clubs are truly established in the top flight. For everyone else, gravity gets you in the end.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

And in other disconnected comments you can't go into them wearing salmon coloured jeans either.

And most stupid comment of the day goes to.........Baalocks.

How is my comment disconnected? Maybe I misread your original response. I thought you were suggesting caution as only Leicester had made a go of it. I simply responded that we still need to "want" it. 

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

While we all talk of wanting to do it, of all the teams we played against only Leicester have pushed on and consolidated themselves as a top flight club.

Blackburn did win the Prem a few years later though to be fair.

This is probably not the time for negativity, but looking at this list I've just realised that I am a 'DCFC Jonah' and it's all my fault.
I've been to all the matches in this series except the West Brom final - I'd arranged to work in Spain so I couldn't make it.

Yes that was me holding back the tears when we should have won against Leicester and trudging away from Wembley after we seemed certain to win against QPR.

And err.. sorry everyone but I've got my tickets for the semi-finals against Leeds.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Actually joint most alongside Ipswich I believe.

I think they have won it once and been beaten in the semi's seven times. 

We seem to be following along with Ipswich with a few records. Hopefully we get promoted this time so we dont get to equal their record for most seasons in the Championship next year.

4 hours ago, MK said:

Could view this either way. I like to see it as we've been a consistency good Championship team for around a decade or so.

Good point, when you consider the championship is one of the strongest leagues in Europe.  Having said that it's high time we had a proper stint back in the PL. 

Archived