Carson or Roos

RamsFan10

Carson vs Roos - who is the better keeper  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Carson's the better keeper. Although if Carson can't find last season's form and continues to play like he has done so far this season, then neither are good enough.

I really liked Roos early on, but he's shown that he's very ineffective at dealing with crosses. Even when he does decide to come for one it's no guarantee he'll make it his.

Roos is better with his feet, which I assume is why he's playing over Carson - but it's a bit pointless for your GK to be good with your feet when our overall transitional play is so poor. Although, some of his best passes have been long up to the front 3.

didn't look that way to me yesterday

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

How is Roos' distribution any better than Carson's? I dont understand that argument at all. None of roos kicks were very good today. It's not very hard to pass it to tomori about 5 yards. And Carson glued to his line? I'd rather him be there and have a chance at saving it rather than Roos rushing out and having CHIP ME written on his forehead. 

Because Carson is very slow on the ball and it's always heart in mouth if dealing with any kind of back pass as he dithers around awkwardly. He loves to chip it out of play over the fullback's head too. 

Whilst Roos is better at the kicking etc, he's still not so much better that it's an obvious choice... the two goals conceded at Stoke away this year were the prime example of the main issue with Carson though this season. Very savable, just low shots he couldn't get down to.

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Because Carson is very slow on the ball and it's always heart in mouth if dealing with any kind of back pass as he dithers around awkwardly. He loves to chip it out of play over the fullback's head too. 

Whilst Roos is better at the kicking etc, he's still not so much better that it's an obvious choice... the two goals conceded at Stoke away this year were the prime example of the main issue with Carson though this season. Very savable, just low shots he couldn't get down to.

The Stoke goals were actually made to look like mistakes because really he never should have got even a hand on them. Out of all the goals we've conceded you pick those two out as blatant goalkeeping errors? How about that ridiculous goal from Millwall, awful attempt by Roos as he couldn't get down to it. Brentford, he comes rushing out to Benrahma's shot. He's flapped at multiple crosses. I can't understand how Roos is better than Carson it actually baffles me. What has Roos done so well? Carson may not have been amazing this season but he proved how good he can be last season and I'd rather have someone who has been proven to be a good keeper than some guy who's been okay but doesn't look top end championship standard in the slightest. The goal at Blackburn is another prime example of Roos having the words CHIP ME brandished on his forehead. I've said it many times and I'll say it again. There are many, many problems we need to resolve in this team - Carson is certainly not one of them! 

The goal at Blackburn is another prime example of Roos having the words CHIP ME brandished on his forehead

How about the goal Bristol City scored where they actually chipped Carson? 

The Stoke goals were actually made to look like mistakes because really he never should have got even a hand on them.

Never should have got his hand to them? Really? 

Screenshot_20190423-225623.jpg

they're both decent keepers but roos still hasn't signed and that would be hissing me off if i was frank.

I like carson. He has brought stability after the bizarre efforts of the previous keeper, but i think we are ready or a younger keeper as part of a younger team, and roos seems to fit the bill.

Carson is definitely the better keeper, but he's not someone who can seamlessly fit back into the team. The injury and his prior form has thrown off his timing, so now Roos is the one we pin our hopes on. If you look at the numbers, the defence has done a really good job in keeping him out of the deep end. Roos hasn't had to make many saves, in fact no keeper in the Championship to have played more than one game has made fewer saves per game than him - 19 saves in 13 games. In comparison, O'Leary at Bristol City has made 41 saves in 13 games so more than double. It's not a knock on Roos, but I think if it wasn't for our defence then we would really see how he stands up and I don't think he'd be as good as Carson. 

On 20/04/2019 at 13:04, Millenniumram said:

The back line, midfield, anyone in space to be able to start an attack. That’s the modern style of football, starting attacks from the back, no matter how far back you’re forced. And it has to be quick, quicker than we do it sometimes yes, but that relies on people making themselves options, including the goalkeeper, and everyone in the back line (again including GK) being comfortable being passed too. Carson hasn’t been that at all, certainly not this season anyway, almost cost us many times with stupid giveaway passes. Can’t play proper possession football if you can’t retain possession from a goalkick, it’s been a huge problem for us this season as teams just keep on coming back at us whenever we get the ball back cause we don’t look after it. Not all the goalie, but it hasn’t helped.

As I say, I agree he’s the better keeper, in his command of his area certainly, and I feel more confident in him off the ball without a doubt. I also actually don’t think he’s always been this bad on the ball, I used to think he was solid enough in possession. Is this the consequence of poor coaching by shay given? It’s certainly one that can be argued imo. I also don’t think Roos is the answer going forward having seen him play more games as he’s far too flappy for me. Doesn’t command his area and take charge, wouldn’t fill me with confidence as a defender. But as I say, until Carson regains any sort of passing ability we can’t play him, so Roos it if for now, and probably imo a new keeper next year.

Excellent reasoned argument for taking Roos over Carson that has me doubting myself. 

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Carson is definitely the better keeper, but he's not someone who can seamlessly fit back into the team. The injury and his prior form has thrown off his timing, so now Roos is the one we pin our hopes on. If you look at the numbers, the defence has done a really good job in keeping him out of the deep end. Roos hasn't had to make many saves, in fact no keeper in the Championship to have played more than one game has made fewer saves per game than him - 19 saves in 13 games. In comparison, O'Leary at Bristol City has made 41 saves in 13 games so more than double. It's not a knock on Roos, but I think if it wasn't for our defence then we would really see how he stands up and I don't think he'd be as good as Carson. 

ah but does the defence play better because they have greater confidence in a goalie that does leave his line frequently?

Archived