Carson or Roos

RamsFan10

Carson vs Roos - who is the better keeper  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better goalie is Carson all day long. But in our system we need someone who can pass and he can’t, Roos can. That’s why he’s in atm and will remain in. Carson’s been out of form generally as well which doesn’t help, he let in quite a few soft goals earlier on in the season.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Better goalie is Carson all day long. But in our system we need someone who can pass and he can’t, Roos can. 

Pass to who? If it's the back four they just ten play it sideways.

Plus it's nonsense that Carson can't use his feet. More importantly he's the better keeper and commands his area better. Perhaps Given could teach Carson to dribble, cos he won't teach Roos to be better than average.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Pass to who? If it's the back four they just ten play it sideways.

Plus it's nonsense that Carson can't use his feet. More importantly he's the better keeper and commands his area better. Perhaps Given could teach Carson to dribble, cos he won't teach Roos to be better than average.

The back line, midfield, anyone in space to be able to start an attack. That’s the modern style of football, starting attacks from the back, no matter how far back you’re forced. And it has to be quick, quicker than we do it sometimes yes, but that relies on people making themselves options, including the goalkeeper, and everyone in the back line (again including GK) being comfortable being passed too. Carson hasn’t been that at all, certainly not this season anyway, almost cost us many times with stupid giveaway passes. Can’t play proper possession football if you can’t retain possession from a goalkick, it’s been a huge problem for us this season as teams just keep on coming back at us whenever we get the ball back cause we don’t look after it. Not all the goalie, but it hasn’t helped.

As I say, I agree he’s the better keeper, in his command of his area certainly, and I feel more confident in him off the ball without a doubt. I also actually don’t think he’s always been this bad on the ball, I used to think he was solid enough in possession. Is this the consequence of poor coaching by shay given? It’s certainly one that can be argued imo. I also don’t think Roos is the answer going forward having seen him play more games as he’s far too flappy for me. Doesn’t command his area and take charge, wouldn’t fill me with confidence as a defender. But as I say, until Carson regains any sort of passing ability we can’t play him, so Roos it if for now, and probably imo a new keeper next year.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Better goalie is Carson all day long. But in our system we need someone who can pass and he can’t, Roos can. That’s why he’s in atm and will remain in. Carson’s been out of form generally as well which doesn’t help, he let in quite a few soft goals earlier on in the season.

So judging by your first line. "Better goalie all day long" which to me suggests all of the time, you then contradict yourself by the rest of the paragraph.  At the moment Roos is better

10 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

So judging by your first line. "Better goalie all day long" which to me suggests all of the time, you then contradict yourself by the rest of the paragraph.  At the moment Roos is better

I mean in terms of abilities only needed for a goalie, like shot stopping, command if his box etc, didn’t make that very clear. Yes Roos is better with Carson out of form overall, but he’s still not as commanding, it’s his ball playing skills that mean we have to play him right now.

It would be tough on Roos to drop him. He’s proven himself this season and is worth keeping. Maybe if we drop him now when there is no real reason to (ie. he hasn’t made a mistake) then he won’t sign a new contract and move on. Difficult dilemma for Frank, he wants to be fair but doesn’t want to wait for a mistake that could be costly.

Carson is the better more consistent keeper no question. He would perform in the big games, Roos has done well but I genuinely believe a big mistake is just around the corner. He’s been prone to them in all his loan spells and has definitely played with fire in some of his matches this season.

"Carson performs in the big games" well he certainly hasn't this season , he was awful away at Leeds and Sheffield United ,conceded a poo goal against Chelsea  and has made a lot of errors this season. Roos was good against Southampton which was a big game so I wouldn't drop him based on us having big games coming up. Roos hasn't been perfect but I think overall his performances have been a bit better than Carson's this season, and I think unless he makes a horrible mistake  he will be the NO1 until the end of the season.

Interesting results.

I made this poll as I agree with the 84%. I think Roos is an ok keeper but can't help but feel a bit uneasy with him. There was a chance in the second half at B'ham that was eventually scrambled away where he was completely out of position. At Blackburn and Brentford (just from memory) he flapped or spilled two crosses. He has also made some good saves, particularly the one against Rotherham at home, but I think Carson ought to be brought back in today. It seems strange thats there is such an overwhelming consensus who is the better keeper yet such a debate over who should start, especially at such a crucial point of the season. Obviously, though, Carson has almost made mistakes this year as well.

at this stage in their respective careers it's Roos.

Carson has been phenomenal for us since his arrival, but he's absolutely glued to his line and he's had that many back problems he can't get down to anything anymore, add to that that his kicking is poor in general and Roos has to be the pick for this team. Roos is by no means perfect, and we could still upgrade but for now the decision Lampard has made is correct.

How is Roos' distribution any better than Carson's? I dont understand that argument at all. None of roos kicks were very good today. It's not very hard to pass it to tomori about 5 yards. And Carson glued to his line? I'd rather him be there and have a chance at saving it rather than Roos rushing out and having CHIP ME written on his forehead. 

Carson's the better keeper. Although if Carson can't find last season's form and continues to play like he has done so far this season, then neither are good enough.

I really liked Roos early on, but he's shown that he's very ineffective at dealing with crosses. Even when he does decide to come for one it's no guarantee he'll make it his.

Roos is better with his feet, which I assume is why he's playing over Carson - but it's a bit pointless for your GK to be good with your feet when our overall transitional play is so poor. Although, some of his best passes have been long up to the front 3.

Archived