Derbyshire Cricket 2019

eddie

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

He batted 8 the last game, 3 the one before that where everyone got out in the 90s. 

Northants 7 down, there was me telling someone last night it’s usually a good batting track up at Chesterfield ?

Indifferent bounce. One batsman from either side has looked the part, and is probably the difference between the two sides.

Saying that, I will get Wednesday off to go drinking - and if Derbyshire bat as badly as Northants did 2nd innings, possibly Tuesday as well, which is a bonus.

Quite a surreal start to Derbyshire's second innings - nobody has any trust in the wicket so they are playing ultra-aggressively.

Godleman gone in the 5th over, stumped off Ben Sanderson with the score on 41.

155-5

the last couple of wickets probably swinging the game in Northants favour, though one was night watchman Qadri.

theres a bit of batting left, but with the indifferent bounce Eddie mentioned it will be a big ask to get the 160 odd runs needed to win.

Derbyshire only took one backward step in the evening session, and that was sending in Qadri as nightwatchman with five overs to go - compounded by Qadri himself taking a backward step himself, leaving a straight one first ball and being bowled.

I'm not really sure what to make of today's play - other than to say that it was county cricket on steroids. 24 wickets and over 400 runs in a day's play - bloody Nora.

The wicket has dominated this game hands down - both sides tried to play conventional '3 an over' cricket on it during the first four hours of play today, and both sides failed to make any impression whatsoever, losing wickets in clusters at any time. You're never 'in' - you just spend some time in the cut grass between a long walk to the middle and another long walk to the pavilion.

So with just 27 overs of the day's play to go when Derbyshire started their second dig in the unlikely task of registering around 320 to win, it perhaps needed an extraordinary approach - and boy, did we get one, with Godleman charging Sanderson and smashing him straight back over his head for 6. When he departed in the 5th over, the others took up the mantle.

Right until the last couple of overs and with the ground bathed in glorious sunshine, the home side scored at a run a ball - the type of approach you would take if you were chasing 320 in a limited-overs game. Which it is, really. There's just nothing you can do about it if one ball has got your name on it, so Derbyshire seem to have taken the approach that if it's unlikely that you can stay in for long, then take the attack to the bowlers and smash the ball.

It's an incredibly bold approach and one which has David Hughton written all over it - and it just might work. It probably won't, but there's no harm in trying.

Lost by 70 odd runs in the end. Hudson-Prentice left stranded again...just about everybody came in and hit some boundaries but no-one could manage to stay around long enough to get us close. Bavumas 1st innings knock the difference.

just seen, we have signed all rounder Darren Stevens on loan from Kent for the T20. Been in good form for Kent in the championship.

thought he was getting on a bit, checked and he is 43 ? there’s still hope for me yet ?

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Lost by 70 odd runs in the end. Hudson-Prentice left stranded again...just about everybody came in and hit some boundaries but no-one could manage to stay around long enough to get us close. Bavumas 1st innings knock the difference.

just seen, we have signed all rounder Darren Stevens on loan from Kent for the T20. Been in good form for Kent in the championship.

thought he was getting on a bit, checked and he is 43 ? there’s still hope for me yet ?

Definitely one for the future that youngster Stevens.....

11 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Gary, is that you? ?

Now that reads nice ?

great way to start the t20 campaign, and even without the big international name, I liked the look of the team. Mark Watt bowled well, and a great innings from Godleman, supported well throughout especially from Du Plooy, and just when we needed some big hits at the end Critchley stepped up just like he did last year.

FADACB9E-0CEE-4493-86FA-74BC14101694.png

Getting a bit of a thrashing off the Brummie Bears in the second t20 game. Put them into bat and they scored 205.

never Looked like chasing it down with only a excellent 70 off 43 balls from Du Plooy really making any mark in the Derbyshire innings.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Getting a bit of a thrashing off the Brummie Bears in the second t20 game. Put them into bat and they scored 205.

never Looked like chasing it down with only a excellent 70 off 43 balls from Du Plooy really making any mark in the Derbyshire innings.

Run outs of the skipper and Madsen didn't help....

the last 2 games we’ve let the opposition score too many. Never fancied us chasing either down. If you look around the other games tonight there’s a few scores in the 170s and many a lot less. Having massive totals to chase all the time is a big ask. Reece batted well today, so did Du Plooy 27 at a strike rate of 192, but I’d like to see him come in earlier rather than when things are getting desperate

Archived