England Rugby 2019

CWC1983

4 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Im not sure how good Wales are. Great run for them and take nothing away from them. Sneaked past Aussies and a fantastic win v Springboks.

i think England having played All Blacks and the test series in South Africa helped sharpen us. Good having Billy, Manu and Mako back for sure. Hopefully Watson and Underhill to return by September. 

Shame Maro will miss this one....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/02/2019 at 16:40, HantsRam said:

....then its a done slam. Italy and Scotland at home? The first has never won at Twickenham, and rarely wins anywhere. The second hasn't won at Twickenham since the days of un-mown pitches and the Hastings brothers.

I wish it was as recent as the Hastings brothers. Try circa 1983 ......

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

My bad - I thought that was them. 1980s weren't they? Presumably you're going to say a bit later.

So 1983 would have been Laidlaw and Rutherford era?

Yeah, and Peter Dodds the full back kicking goals for fun.

Im not sure Ive forgiven Gavin Hastings for his penalty miss in front of your posts in the 1991 world cup semi at Murrayfield. 

His lad is a decent fly half. Didnt make the grade at Saracens but found his form at Glasgow.  

How is everyone feeling heading towards Cardiff this weekend? 

My two penorth. Our success so far this 6 Nations has had alot to do with disjointed ( Ireland) and quite franky woeful ( France) 11-14-15. Wales have great players in those positions. 

I expect us to go huge at Parkes in the centre and blast a way through there. Im predicting our most difficult game yet. If it was at Twickenham id be confidant to predict a ten point win for England but Cardiff is a great leveller. Farrell loves the heat of battle but lets see how some of the new lads stand up in the cauldren. 

9 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

How is everyone feeling heading towards Cardiff this weekend? 

My two penorth. Our success so far this 6 Nations has had alot to do with disjointed ( Ireland) and quite franky woeful ( France) 11-14-15. Wales have great players in those positions. 

I expect us to go huge at Parkes in the centre and blast a way through there. Im predicting our most difficult game yet. If it was at Twickenham id be confidant to predict a ten point win for England but Cardiff is a great leveller. Farrell loves the heat of battle but lets see how some of the new lads stand up in the cauldren. 

Cardiff is something of a leveller but I think too much is made of it, possibly because of the 2013 game where we went to Cardiff as Grand Slam champions elect only to get dismantled 30-3. Our recent record, mostly with far less dominant sides than now, is actually pretty good having won 3 from our last 5 at the Millenium stadium and the Welsh have not beaten us now in our last six 6N match-ups. 

I'm feeling reasonably relaxed this time around without being wildly confident. Slightly concerned that we have Jaco Peyper officiating as he's not our biggest fan and the Welsh will of course play better than they have against the French and Italians but one might say that's not terribly hard as they were bloody awful in both games and would have been comfortably beaten by the French had our Gallic cousins not gifted them two walk-in tries. 

It'll be another bruising encounter and as you point out, the Welsh back 3 won't give Farrell and co the keys to Cardiff but I still expect England to win by 7-10 leaving only Scotland between them and what seemed an somewhat unlikely Grand Slam. Win on Saturday and they'll have some serious momentum building in WOrld Cup year, that's for sure.

Wales need a performance, and that is the worry. They where shocking the last two outings, can't not think that they will all click, at home and againest England.  It will be either a very tight win, either way 2-3 points, or Wales will fall apart in the last quarter.

10 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Wales need a performance, and that is the worry. They where shocking the last two outings, can't not think that they will all click, at home and againest England.  It will be either a very tight win, either way 2-3 points, or Wales will fall apart in the last quarter.

Personally I think that would play into England hands. Wales have traditionally been brilliant at knocking favourites over and playing the underdog. 

If they feel pressured into performing then England can look for a performance more similar to Ireland rather than France. 

15 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Personally I think that would play into England hands. Wales have traditionally been brilliant at knocking favourites over and playing the underdog. 

If they feel pressured into performing then England can look for a performance more similar to Ireland rather than France. 

I think Gatland will try and win anyway, which but how.... Im not sure he cares too much about performance right now.

Can't wait for this game. Lot of Welsh crowing on the rugby forums but I'd be disappointed if we lose given how well we've played and Lansdowne Road is no easier place to go for teams seeking a win than the Millennium Stadium. Moon and Knowell are in for the injured Mako and Ashton respectively, but I think the latter would have started the game anyway while Ben Moon is a very able deputy for the outstanding Vunipola. Expect the 'Baby Rhino' Ellis Genge to be unleashed with 20 to go when he can do some real damage. Likewise Cokanasiga, the 17 stone Bath flyer who may replace Knowell late on.

Lawes and Kruis start in the second row with Maro Itoje not risked despite having trained. Otherwise it's as you were. I think we'll adopt a different approach to this game than those against Ireland and France with more phases with ball in hand. Anscombe has been selected at fly half for Wales and I think he's suspect in the tackle. Expect him to be targeted especially by Tuilagi and the England back row.

Interesting piece on the Beeb site about English teams playing in Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47160338

34 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Can't wait for this game. Lot of Welsh crowing on the rugby forums but I'd be disappointed if we lose given how well we've played and Lansdowne Road is no easier place to go for teams seeking a win than the Millennium Stadium. Moon and Knowell are in for the injured Mako and Ashton respectively, but I think the latter would have started the game anyway while Ben Moon is a very able deputy for the outstanding Vunipola. Expect the 'Baby Rhino' Ellis Genge to be unleashed with 20 to go when he can do some real damage. Likewise Cokanasiga, the 17 stone Bath flyer who may replace Knowell late on.

Lawes and Kruis start in the second row with Maro Itoje not risked despite having trained. Otherwise it's as you were. I think we'll adopt a different approach to this game than those against Ireland and France with more phases with ball in hand. Anscombe has been selected at fly half for Wales and I think he's suspect in the tackle. Expect him to be targeted especially by Tuilagi and the England back row.

Interesting piece on the Beeb site about English teams playing in Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47160338

did I read a link in that article right? John Terry to give a pep talk......about what??? Great 4-1 world cup defeats I have played in???

Can't wait for tomorrow's game. I'll be watching with my grandad, the only time he'll sit down and watch something on TV is the rugby.

The plan is to get him to learn the record some of the Rugby World Cup matches later on in the year, save him getting out of bed early. It's his big sport, the same passion like I have for DCFC. Hopefully the lads get the result!    

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its all to play for on the final day. Thats a good thing for the tournament. 

One of the main reasons we lost to Wales was down to Sinkler kept pumping air into Welsh tyres with his daft winding up of them. He needs to put a bit more thought into what he is doing out there. 

Its now Sunday after Italy game. WHY didnt we employ yesterdays game plan v Wales. Theres not anyone can live with oyr full on power game. Not even the All Blacks. 

Would be amusing if England get anorther BP and beat Wales to the title on points difference.  However, if anyone can beat Wales at home, the Irish have a good shout at it, especially if Wales try and go for teh BP, Ireland could easilly counter attack, leaving a huge ask.

8 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Would be amusing if England get anorther BP and beat Wales to the title on points difference.  However, if anyone can beat Wales at home, the Irish have a good shout at it, especially if Wales try and go for teh BP, Ireland could easilly counter attack, leaving a huge ask.

Apparently if Wales win they get 3 Grand Slam bonus points so we can't catch them if they win

Archived