England Rugby 2019

CWC1983

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

All Blacks or Australia to win. Don't understand the support for England - no hopers

All Blacks will be hard to beat, I'd pick England over Aus easily. Union has turned into such a minor sport here since the game went professional. A lot of young players will go straight to Rugby League clubs after they have finished schooling. 99% of our population would be hard pressed to name 1 player in the squad. I worked at Royal Grammar in High Wycombe which is a big Union school a few years ago and was really impressed with their setup.

Not sure why folk are writing England's chances off. By far the strongest squad since 2003 and for the first time in several years, most of the squad are in rude health with Mako the only certain starter who is likely to miss games. The front 5 are a hugely powerful unit and more mobile than one might expect, the back row (Durry, Billy and Sam Underhill) look a decently balanced outfit who are top class defensively, offer plenty of go-forward and are excellent at the breakdown.

The half-back pairing of Ford and Farrell seems to be working better than ever and in Tuilagi and Cokanasiga we have two strike runners who can punch holes in any defence, not to mention Jonny May who has gears to spare and Anthony Watson who we've not seen since a starring performance in the Lions tour of NZ looking super sharp again and a possible bolter with Elliot Daly looking suspect in defence. 

I certainly don't think that makes us no-hopers and would expect the winner to come from the Kiwis, the Springboks and our own much maligned team with the preference marginally for the first-mentioned, but don't underestimate England who have strength in depth second only to the All Blacks and can be lethal if allowed to play on the front foot.

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not sure why folk are writing England's chances off. By far the strongest squad since 2003 and for the first time in several years, most of the squad are in rude health with Mako the only certain starter who is likely to miss games. The front 5 are a hugely powerful unit and more mobile than one might expect, the back row (Durry, Billy and Sam Underhill) look a decently balanced outfit who are top class defensively, offer plenty of go-forward and are excellent at the breakdown.

The half-back pairing of Ford and Farrell seems to be working better than ever and in Tuilagi and Cokanasiga we have two strike runners who can punch holes in any defence, not to mention Jonny May who has gears to spare and Anthony Watson who we've not seen since a starring performance in the Lions tour of NZ looking super sharp again and a possible bolter with Elliot Daly looking suspect in defence. 

I certainly don't think that makes us no-hopers and would expect the winner to come from the Kiwis, the Springboks and our own much maligned team with the preference marginally for the first-mentioned, but don't underestimate England who have strength in depth second only to the All Blacks and can be lethal if allowed to play on the front foot.

...and don’t forget Henry Slade. He has the class to open up defences.

I fear South Africa but I think we can certainly win it.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

...and don’t forget Henry Slade. He has the class to open up defences.

I fear South Africa but I think we can certainly win it.

Good shout. If Jones persists with the Ford-Farrell combo then Slade may be something of a bit part player as Tuilagi is probably the first name on the teamsheet right now. I think Henry might be given a chance to prove his fitness and form early on and perhaps he can stake a claim to partner Manu if so, with Farrell reverting to the 10 role. He certainly gives us something different and reminds me somewhat of the likes of Greenwood and Guscott, such is his class. Nice to have a bit of strength in depth at last, huh! 

Archived