Joe Cole retired

BaaLocks

I have a pet peeve about players announcing their retirement (international or otherwise - actually, mroe for international, no player should be allowed to retire from playing for your country, if you are picked you play).

If you look at Sky Sports eulogy on Joe Cole today you would be forgiven for thinking that the equivalent of Pele has just died. Joe Cole was good, brilliant for moments, but he drifted out of the top flight and on to other things (feels the fingers hovering for the rolling eyes emoji).

For great players I get it - Beckham, even Terry - but if the likes of Cole are going to get five minutes an hour it might be time to set up a rolling television channel covering all retirements, international, playing, management, coaching, groundsmen who just don't feel they still have it within them to pick up that fork to replace the half time divots. 

Maybe Derby should announce the retirement of Raich Carter? I'm not sure we ever did and in the current climate it might be helpful to all to clarify the position.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what went wrong. He was immensely naturally talented. I thought be would be a very good international player but his career nose dived like no other. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not sure what went wrong. He was immensely naturally talented. I thought be would be a very good international player but his career nose dived like no other. 

It's strange how things are perceived differently by different people. I always thought he was nowhere near as good as many people seemed to think. But I could never explain exactly why.

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not sure much went wrong.  56 England caps, numerous trophies. 

A lot of players would love to get close to his success. 

Remember the 2004 euro qtr final against Portugal? Rooney got injured really early and Sven had Joe Cole on the bench - but he brought on Darius Vassell instead. 

As I screamed at the TV at the time, if he'd chosen Joe Cole instead - we'd have won.

Brilliant player before his injuries was Joe.

7 hours ago, David said:

Wasn’t fishing, terrible move for him which effectively ended his career. Should have stayed in England 

Why would he have stayed in England..? He wasnt even getting a start for the worst Coventry City side ever playing in the ass end of division 3....and instead he moved to St Petersburg where he had 365 days of sunshine and he and his “celebrity” wife could walk around town with their children and no one would bother them or even recognize them and he was the playing every week and one of the best players in the league.... oh and lastly, the billionaire owner was throwing money at him...

coventry or St Petersburg...? Hmmm tough choice...

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Why would he have stayed in England..? He wasnt even getting a start for the worst Coventry City side ever playing in the ass end of division 3....and instead he moved to St Petersburg where he had 365 days of sunshine and he and his “celebrity” wife could walk around town with their children and no one would bother them or even recognize them and he was the playing every week and one of the best players in the league.... oh and lastly, the billionaire owner was throwing money at him...

More clubs in England than Coventry

On 17/11/2018 at 03:04, MuespachRam said:

When did he move to Russia?

Archived