Up to 10 players out of contract - smarter window than we give ourselves credit for?

Duracell

38 minutes ago, inter politics said:

This is the way I currently see it for this season:

First team squad

Carson
Wisdom
Lowe
Keogh
Davies
Huddlestone
Bryson
Mount
Wilson
Lawrence
Waghorn

Roos/Mitchell
Tomori
Evans
Ledley
Johnson
Josefzoon
Marriott

Nugent
Bennett
Pearce
Forsyth

Loan out (future with Derby)

Thomas (really like but don't see how he will get much game time otherwise)
Bogle (same as Thomas)
Thorne (loved the guy at his peak, doubt he'll ever get back to that but hope he proves many of us wrong)
Elsnik

Sell or loan out (with future not at Derby)

Butterfield
Anya
Blackman
Jerome (won't forget this guy was a big reason why we made the play-offs)
Martin (with a heavy heart)
Hanson
Olsson (when fit again)

I agree with you on this, notwithstanding more Inomings which I do expect. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Duracell said:

He can shoot. He’s got a fearsome left peg.

His best form was for Norwich playing LM where they got him out of the way for build up play and his job was to get on the end of crosses and hit from long range.

£6,000,000 and £30k+ a week for a midfielder in his late 20s whose best form came in a system designed to keep him out of the way ?

He hits the corner flag with every shot though 

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

If that's accurate then not an issue really for Mitchell, Ledley, Pearce or Bryson.

FFP surely can't use book value of a player, other wise you spend £12million on a player, you gain a £12million asset, you'd have broken even that summer, would take few years to hit your balance sheet. I thought (maybe wrongly) that they originally have book value of their transfer fee X portion of their contract remaining. After contract renewal it'd be different though, we'd have to update a players "book value" semi-regularly for insurance purposes (If Bryson got injured in summer 2014 and insurance covered us for loss of asset, we'd have been gutted if we got about 350k as the pay out).

In short, shouldn't worry about it. Rules designed (badly) to make teams more sustainable aren't going to punish teams for for taking players off the wage bill

I think they will punish teams that have retained a retained an unrealistic value until they sell at a significant loss.  This makes an interesting read http://priceoffootball.com/tag/derby-county/

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Bye bye: Pearce, Olsson, Jerome, Butterfield

Sad to see go, but for the best: Bryson, Nugent

Would retain: Ledley, Johnson, Huddlestone, Mitchell

Bryson HAS to stay - He was excellent against Reading and exactly the kind of box-to-box CM we need - Does the simple things well and Warnock even seems to have given him a bit more bite

Huddlestone I want to keep purely for emotional reasons - I can't bear to see him leave again

I love Pearce for his attitude and Nugent for being a legend - But they can go along with everyone else for me

28 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I think they will punish teams that have retained a retained an unrealistic value until they sell at a significant loss.  This makes an interesting read http://priceoffootball.com/tag/derby-county/

There are a few things that I know nothing about or really want to understand and FFP is at the top of the list despite some excellent posts about it. Not enough info to solve the issue imo. 

31 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Bryson HAS to stay - He was excellent against Reading and exactly the kind of box-to-box CM we need - Does the simple things well and Warnock even seems to have given him a bit more bite

Huddlestone I want to keep purely for emotional reasons - I can't bear to see him leave again

I love Pearce for his attitude and Nugent for being a legend - But they can go along with everyone else for me

Wells trained to be a Bryson? 

3 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Bye bye: Pearce, Olsson, Jerome, Butterfield

Sad to see go, but for the best: Bryson, Nugent

Would retain: Ledley, Johnson, Huddlestone, Mitchell

At the end of the season I'd like to see them all gone, mostly due to age, but also a couple haven't really worked out.

Mitchell needs to get game time as we still don't really know if he's any good, but the rest aren't part of our future medium term future.

29 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I mean - I'd rather keep the one we have than take a striker on loan, play him out of position and then lose him at the end of the season at the same time as Bryson...

Keep Bryson, train Wells and If any good, sign at end of season. Who is the guy most similar in style  to Bryson on the books for good? 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Keep Huddlestone and Ledley because they’d probably be able to make the jump to the premier league if we got promoted, the others I’d happily get rid.

but they would both be another year older and slower - the difference in how quick Prem teams move the ball, these two wouldn't stand a chance. Hence no one wanted Ledley when he was a free agent and why Tom got relegated and came to us with no one else interested

1 minute ago, Saturn5 said:

but they would both be another year older and slower - the difference in how quick Prem teams move the ball, these two wouldn't stand a chance. Hence no one wanted Ledley when he was a free agent and why Tom got relegated and came to us with no one else interested

1 minute ago, Saturn5 said:

Teams were put off by Ledley’s wages and Huddlestone played well under Marco Silva at Hull. I think he’d be fine as he’s never relied on his pace. *Assuming we went up, we’d most likely have to be more pragmatic meaning that Ledley and Huddlestone would have more protection around them.

Hahaha talking promotion after one game - we are starting to sound like red dogs !!

Just cant see Frank wanting that type of midfielder - he seems to like mobile all action players which they are not ... long way to go though so we will see 

29 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Keep Bryson, train Wells and If any good, sign at end of season. Who is the guy most similar in style  to Bryson on the books for good? 

Am I missing something here? Are we talking about a different Wells? He's a striker...

I would imagine the likes of Hanson and Elsnik are potentially looking for a long term CM spot - And would rather go out and sign a proper CM than try to persuade a striker to play there...

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Am I missing something here? Are we talking about a different Wells? He's a striker...

I would imagine the likes of Hanson and Elsnik are potentially looking for a long term CM spot - And would rather go out and sign a proper CM than try to persuade a striker to play there...

Hanson and Elsnik not this season. Why would we sign Wells at all as a striker? fair enough if Martin and Blackman had gone so it may be provisional. Moyes turned Aunautovic or similar into a striker. 

15 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Hanson and Elsnik not this season. Why would we sign Wells at all as a striker? fair enough if Martin and Blackman had gone so it may be provisional. Moyes turned Aunautovic or similar into a striker. 

I'd have Hanson in and around the squad now - Prepare him for next season when there's a bit more space for CMs coming through

Nahki Wells is a striker - As far as I'm aware - Not a midfielder

Arnautovic was already an attacking winger (like Lawrence say) and he's played more as a striker in the last season or so

Archived