Promising season ahead, but a few concerns ..

Ram8

Such a promising start to the new campaign .. didn’t see the Mansfield match, but the Southampton and Wolves performances were superb, and for a first competitive match (albeit with a generally poor performance) to be won in that way, must be counted as a good sign. Such a stark contrast to last year’s turgid, uninspiring performances under Rowett.

Mount (particularly) looks to be an excellent acquisition, but the most pleasing aspect of the situation is the vast improvement in the playing style under Lampard and Jody Morris. That aside, there are three areas of concern for me :-

a) .. Will Tom Huddlestone fit into the new system ? Joe Ledley had been excellent as the defensive midfielder in the new ‘fast reaction, move it on quickly’ short passing game played in the Southampton and Wolves matches, and looks to be FL’s preferred choice for this role. However, Ledley was woeful last night, undisciplined positional sense, wandering aimlessly around the more advanced midfield positions that he has never been comfortable in, offering the centre halves no protection whatsoever, when he should have been ‘sitting’ just in front of them.

TH (such a ‘Rolls Royce of a player) must be first choice when fit, particularly when he now has the increased mobility of Bryson and Mount in front of him. We don’t yet know if we will ever again see the George Thorne that we knew prior to his serious injuries, and Evans will probably be no more than emergency cover for the CDM position. 

b) .. Who will be the first choice ‘number 9’ ? I would go with a fit Chris Martin every time, but what is the situation re his future at the club? The new signing, Jack Marriott, should be a valuable asset, with David Nugent being an adequate third option, but not a first choice striker any more, having lost much of his sharpness.

c) .. Whilst Max Lowe has stepped up as an excellent first choice for the left back position, I don’t see Andre Wisdom as the future for right back, highlighting the ridiculous decision to sell Cyrus Christie, when all he needed was a slight improvement in his defensive capability to add to his exciting attacking forays down the right wing.

But I think the season ahead under Frank Lampard is going to be one to savour, hopefully eradicating from memory forever the ‘Rowettball Season’ and the toxic ‘Nigel Pearson Demolition (of) Derby’ ! 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been Wisdom's biggest fan but have been impressed in pre-season and towards the end of last season. However, he did have a tough time last night against a very quick opponent. Similarly, Lowe has looked excellent but didn't quite live up to pre-season standards last night.

having said that, unless we've got loads of money to splash around, I wouldn't be rushing to replace either of them. If we're looking at players to replace based on just the first game of the season then we'd need half a new team again.

Not a great performance but only the first game and I think the right result was more important. To quote a couple of footballing cliches, there will be other games when we play better but lose, to play badly and still win is not a bad sign.

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Such a promising start to the new campaign .. didn’t see the Mansfield match, but the Southampton and Wolves performances were superb, and for a first competitive match (albeit with a generally poor performance) to be won in that way, must be counted as a good sign. Such a stark contrast to last year’s turgid, uninspiring performances under Rowett.

Mount (particularly) looks to be an excellent acquisition, but the most pleasing aspect of the situation is the vast improvement in the playing style under Lampard and Jody Morris. That aside, there are three areas of concern for me :-

a) .. Will Tom Huddlestone fit into the new system ? Joe Ledley had been excellent as the defensive midfielder in the new ‘fast reaction, move it on quickly’ short passing game played in the Southampton and Wolves matches, and looks to be FL’s preferred choice for this role. However, Ledley was woeful last night, undisciplined positional sense, wandering aimlessly around the more advanced midfield positions that he has never been comfortable in, offering the centre halves no protection whatsoever, when he should have been ‘sitting’ just in front of them.

TH (such a ‘Rolls Royce of a player) must be first choice when fit, particularly when he now has the increased mobility of Bryson and Mount in front of him. We don’t yet know if we will ever again see the George Thorne that we knew prior to his serious injuries, and Evans will probably be no more than emergency cover for the CDM position. 

b) .. Who will be the first choice ‘number 9’ ? I would go with a fit Chris Martin every time, but what is the situation re his future at the club? The new signing, Jack Marriott, should be a valuable asset, with David Nugent being an adequate third option, but not a first choice striker any more, having lost much of his sharpness.

c) .. Whilst Max Lowe has stepped up as an excellent first choice for the left back position, I don’t see Andre Wisdom as the future for right back, highlighting the ridiculous decision to sell Cyrus Christie, when all he needed was a slight improvement in his defensive capability to add to his exciting attacking forays down the right wing.

But I think the season ahead under Frank Lampard is going to be one to savour, hopefully eradicating from memory forever the ‘Rowettball Season’ and the toxic ‘Nigel Pearson Demolition (of) Derby’ ! 

Spot on sir - altough Christie wanted to leave so it’s fair enough and also we are now a tiny team height wise we will need wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth and Huddlestone when we play the teams with land of the giants players such as Middlesbrough Bolton stoke etc 

1 minute ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

Yes we won. Great. 

Some promising signs yes. 

But as yet that performance was as turgid and uninspired as anything I saw last season until the last seconds. 

I can’t agree, it was like watching an engine trying to start, turning over fast, trying to get going but not managing it.

The passing into the front 3 kept getting picked off, but I could see they were trying to play a certain way.

Nothing like the long ball break away from Huddlestone last season.

Rowett wouldn’t of had them this fit.

It’s bound to take time.

cant believe the criticism regarding the performance. First game in, away from home, new players, new system. Bound to take half a dozen games competitively to settle.

Nugent was the one who struggled most last night, did anyone hear the bench shout “hold the f’n ball” directed at him? That position is vital to the system, his legs haven’t got it in them anymore. 

With no sigh of Jerome,  I can seriously see a number 9 (literally) coming in before the deadline. I don’t usually take shirt number as a factor, but surely Martin would have retaken it.

'It takes time' is a line I don't buy. Either players can do the job you want, or they can't. Either the job you want done fits a team plan or it doesn't.

If we're playing 433 high energy pressing game with a philosophy of moving the ball quickly and on the deck, I think we'll find, just as we did a few years back, that what you really need is a centre forward who can get hold of the ball to feet with his back to goal and bring the 4 behind him into the game. Step forward Chris Martin. Or maybe Tammy Abraham? 

I don't think Frank will pick Chris, but I think he's wrong. Hope to be eating these words in a week or two.

We got very very lucky last night , we conspired to beat ourselves in the first half and only because reading were so poor finishers we were not down and out game over at half time , that’s not a pop at frankie it’s just an honest look at the work that lies ahead , we want to play out from the back but it’s very worrying for me that we may not have  players good / calm enough to do that ,, my fear is other managers spot 5his quickly and get all over us like a rash and we revert to the panic stricken rabbit in the headlights team we have looked at times over the last few years , I have faith in lampard but he has a job on 

Frank admitted the fist half was poor but whatever he said at half time lead to much needed improvement. Certainly the passion and work ethic was there and no time did I get the feeling that the players couldn't be bothers which was the case several times last season. Frank was honest in his assessment which is refreshing and no doubt he will work on sloppy passing etc. All in all a work in progress with potential and an astute and inspirational manager. I remain upbeat and optimistic.

Agree with a post earlier our back 4 is not good enough to play out from the back and we will concede goals a plenty,Keogh nearly cost us two last night and both Wisdom and Lowe were very poor defensively.

I do think we are in for a few surprises in signing this week and dont be surprised if the back 4 is tweaked never mind a number 9 

Great to see the boys come out second half rejuvenated,thats the hallmark of a good manager.Im not getting carried away but Lamps is a breath of fresh air.Under Rowett nothing changed at the half,if the first half was garbage rest assured the second would be too.

The players seem to want to work for this manager and thats a massive change since last season.

33 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Agree with a post earlier our back 4 is not good enough to play out from the back and we will concede goals a plenty,Keogh nearly cost us two last night and both Wisdom and Lowe were very poor defensively.

I do think we are in for a few surprises in signing this week and dont be surprised if the back 4 is tweaked never mind a number 9 

I think keogh missed Huddlestone and Ledley was anonymous.

Max Lowe is only 21 and still improving. He can play really well but shown this on several occasions. I'm more concerned about Keogh. He is still making some horrendous mistakes and at 32 doubt if he can improve on this aspect of his game. Think we do need a mixture of youth and experience but what we real need is somebody totally reliable who hasn't got a mistake in him!

For me last night the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Slow, predictable first half, very much like Paul Clement’s derby and Mac 2. Not sure about the rotating midfielders and Ledley struggled as a result. Got them in at half time and were much better in the second half. A bit more direct and passed with purpose. We can and will play a lot better. It’s a new style of play new players and young players. It will take time and maybe even some more signings to get the right balance.

Positives:

Bryson went about his business and after an ineffective first half had a good game in the second half. Lots of breaking up play and starting attacks.

Max Lowe has become a man.

Mount - didn’t have a great game - but his quality is there for all to see. That cross for Wilson was unbelievable. 

Wilson - also didn’t have a good game but he’s getting into the box - he will get goals

Bennett - real threat when he came on and what a cross for the Lawrence goal. This could be the season he kicks on. 

Lawrence. He was our main threat. Outstanding header - he wouldn’t have done that in a Rowett team the shackles are off and he could have a big season.

Reality check - major positive as has made us all calm down the hype and accept this is a work in progress.

I think if Derby do anything this season, it will be a strong second half of the season as this team evolves. Got to be patient.

9 hours ago, Ram8 said:

You are being very generous to Lowe. He was poor yesterday. With so many young uns in the team, we will have to expect poor Shows from all of them from time to time. As long as they have more good games than bad, the season looks rosey

57 minutes ago, Doodle said:

You are being very generous to Lowe. He was poor yesterday. With so many young uns in the team, we will have to expect poor Shows from all of them from time to time. As long as they have more good games than bad, the season looks rosey

It wasn’t the young uns that were the poorest though. Davies, Keogh, Ledley and Nugent. Our spine all looked nervous and made a multitude of errors which didn’t help settle the younger boys who didn’t do much wrong, but didn’t do a lot good either.

Second Half we settled and started to find our own players 

Jerome must be on his way out because the way he finished last season you’d of thought he’d be full of confidence, obviously what FL sees on training is different unless it’s transfer reasons ?

Him or Martin suits the hold up play better than Nugent, interesting to see Marriott when fit however....

Archived