Promising season ahead, but a few concerns ..

Ram8

4 hours ago, McRamFan said:

First game for a new manager, who was taking his first professional game in management.  Lots of changes to the last time the side played for something of worth, away from home and we robbed them.  I'm happy with that.

Yes with that considered, the performance was no surprise and it was looking like a draw, which would have been OK. The win will help Frank, but it's going to be difficult against better teams than Reading....and there are a lot in this division. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The performance in the first half was a surprise to me. Maybe that could be down to my delight at the Wolves friendly I suppose. 

It was almost as though someone flicked a switch from what they had learned in the last month to revert to type and I’m sure Frank was standing there thinking what the duck am I seeing here ? where did this come from ?

Fortunately, Frank had the insight to employ Jody Morris as his assistant, a man that wouldn’t sit there keeping his counsel and accept the unacceptable. While Frank may be more of a diplomat, I get the impression Morris calls a spade a spade and won’t accept mediocrity.

I suspect a couple of players will be given the benefit of the doubt for their performance last night, given every encouragement to raise their game to the expected level  but be under no illusions if they don’t or can’t it will be adios.

Make no mistake, these two guys in charge of our club will not put up with substandard application, it’ll be total commitment to the cause or you’re down the road. They’ve got reputations to forge and will want results which can only bode well for the supporters.

COYF&J, COYR. ? 

I thought Reading's play was always going to fail. Their quick closing down getting in on our players, pushing them into making mistakes would not work for 90 minutes. They simply run out of steam, then we found more time and space. We will get better as the season unfolds. More games and training will give the squad better understanding of each other. We, according to some were not that good and were lucky with a win, Well we had 63% possession, 11 shots to their 8. We completed over 500 passes to their 280 odd. Over the years we have quite often under performed against Reading, yet I do not know why.  Could this be the turning point. I remember years ago under the management of Jim Smith going to Birmingham city away, where we hadn't won for 40+ yrs and we come away with a 4-1 win. That season saw us get promotion to the premiership. I can see why we need a few more players in the squad, but could be said about any team, because all squads strive to get stronger and better. 

What every successful team needs, luck and maybe we had that against Reading when we gave them the ball and they didn't punish us. We also need to keep our players fit and that is mainly down to some luck as well. Frank would have learned from his first match, that there will be other teams that will be hard to break down, trying to stop you from playing attacking football. He stated that we mixed it a bit in the second half, we gave more urgency. I think we have a young, new, fresh bunch of coaching staff that have worked with some top managers/coaches during their careers. We are in for exciting times, I agree with the heading of this subject "Promising season ahead but a few concerns" Lets embrace it COYR

25 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I suspect a couple of players will be given the benefit of the doubt for their performance last night, given every encouragement to raise their game to the expected level  but be under no illusions if they don’t or can’t it will be adios.

Make no mistake, these two guys in charge of our club will not put up with substandard application, it’ll be total commitment to the cause or you’re down the road. They’ve got reputations to forge and will want results which can only bode well for the supporters.

COYF&J, COYR. ? 

Agree with what you say, but application is one thing and ability is something else. Also not so easy to send 'players down the road', judging by the size of our bloated squad.   

45 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

The performance in the first half was a surprise to me. Maybe that could be down to my delight at the Wolves friendly I suppose. 

It was almost as though someone flicked a switch from what they had learned in the last month to revert to type and I’m sure Frank was standing there thinking what the duck am I seeing here ? where did this come from ?

Fortunately, Frank had the insight to employ Jody Morris as his assistant, a man that wouldn’t sit there keeping his counsel and accept the unacceptable. While Frank may be more of a diplomat, I get the impression Morris calls a spade a spade and won’t accept mediocrity.

COYF&J, COYR. ? 

We are mostly thinking of our first half effort as under-performing, which is partly right. We didn't do our pressing the opposition which was the key to the pre-season success, but I think we were also surprised by the way in which Reading started the match, pressing us and not letting us settle on the ball. Their pre-season reflected lst season, and confirmed that Paul Clement was the manager, because the stats show them to sit back in their own half and play the counter-attack. Instead the were up and in our faces, and we didn't know how to deal with it. As some have said in this thread, we would still have been trying to work out what to do by the time of the final whistle under Rowett, but everything changed after half-time. So we have a manager and assistant who can get things sorted and/or changed, which is a huge bous. I have heard it said the Frank said something along the lines that we could do better, and that we weren't pressing like we should, and then he let Jody get the hair-dryer out! Brilliant!

The Future is bright, the future is Frank and Jody!

Southampton and wolves both gave us time and space to settle and play ,this is the sharp end now and very few teams will do that we will have to improve or adjust perhaps players in who can do the job frank wants 

14 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

For me last night the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Slow, predictable first half, very much like Paul Clement’s derby and Mac 2. Not sure about the rotating midfielders and Ledley struggled as a result. Got them in at half time and were much better in the second half. A bit more direct and passed with purpose. We can and will play a lot better. It’s a new style of play new players and young players. It will take time and maybe even some more signings to get the right balance.

Positives:

Bryson went about his business and after an ineffective first half had a good game in the second half. Lots of breaking up play and starting attacks.

Max Lowe has become a man.

Mount - didn’t have a great game - but his quality is there for all to see. That cross for Wilson was unbelievable. 

Wilson - also didn’t have a good game but he’s getting into the box - he will get goals

Bennett - real threat when he came on and what a cross for the Lawrence goal. This could be the season he kicks on. 

Lawrence. He was our main threat. Outstanding header - he wouldn’t have done that in a Rowett team the shackles are off and he could have a big season.

Reality check - major positive as has made us all calm down the hype and accept this is a work in progress.

I think if Derby do anything this season, it will be a strong second half of the season as this team evolves. Got to be patient.

Best post I’ve read regarding the game! Especially the reality check part.???

Completely disagree with C, I'm not really sure how you can be so certain on a player who has made what 5 first team appearances as a first choice left back. 

If you think that Christie is a better player THAN Wisdom you are deluded. Christie will never be worth more than the fee we got for him, although I do truly believe Wisdom will end up playing centre half. 

9 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

COYF&J, COYR. ? 

Amen to all this brother (or sister???) .... it will almost certainly be ‘my way or the highway’ from Frank & Jody, they on a mission and those that want to join in will be most welcome, those that don’t well .........

Honestly it was a game of 2 halves and we were poor in the first half. Second half we played how we want to and look what happened. A poor defensive display but for the lads to dig there heels in and keep playing even though they were 1 down showed the grit and fighting spirit in the team that lamps wants. Looked very positive with some stand out players like mount. This season shouldn’t be thowrn away from one bad performance because we’ve seen how we can play in pre season. Will take the new lads a couple of games to pick up this system 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Agree with what you say, but application is one thing and ability is something else. Also not so easy to send 'players down the road', judging by the size of our bloated squad.   

Good point, well made. I should have written out of the first team picture or replaced. ? 

I mean, you can’t play players you don’t trust, but then you can’t keep adding to an already enormous squad, I get that, but playing players not up to it because you can’t shift them or others you’ll never use is a sad state of affairs. 

Archived