Worst 70s show

dog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Mind Your Language!

When racism was funny!

What was Mind Your Language like? I've only seen clips on that programme that was on around the turn of the millennium, that one where it looked at the pop culture though each year through the decades. So it's hard for me to judge it really.

But I think it's a tragedy we can't publically laugh at our differences and think it leads to increase tension personally. I'm quite happy to make jokes at the expense of the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots and vice versa. Not sure why ethnic minorities are off limits. Doesn't that Citizen Khan play on stereotypes?

Sith Happens
20 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m sure that was one of those programs that was made under the influence of drugs,like Rainbow.

George,Bungle and Zippy,what were they?

A cow type thing,a big foot/ bear hybrid and a wierd turtle reptile thing?

I loved it as a kid, wasnt it a horse? Dobbin? Audrey out of Corrie as Nadia Popoff....the neighbours wife had some sort of necklace that when she didnt realise when she made a wish it made things come true.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, StringerBell said:

What was Mind Your Language like? I've only seen clips on that programme that was on around the turn of the millennium, that one where it looked at the pop culture though each year through the decades. So it's hard for me to judge it really.

But I think it's a tragedy we can't publically laugh at our differences and think it leads to increase tension personally. I'm quite happy to make jokes at the expense of the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots and vice versa. Not sure why ethnic minorities are off limits. Doesn't that Citizen Khan play on stereotypes?

I liked it when a kid, probably unfunny now i dont know.

Pretty sure i noticed it on one of the comedy channels, gold or something like that on freeview recently.

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I loved it as a kid, wasnt it a horse? Dobbin? Audrey out of Corrie as Nadia Popoff....the neighbours wife had some sort of necklace that when she didnt realise when she made a wish it made things come true.

George was a horse?

Audrey was Mrs Popoff?

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I wasn't being entirely serious that it was racist, but it was just horribly unfunny stereotyping. In fact according to Wikipedia it was cancelled by Michael Grade in 1979 for that very reason, which tells you it must have been bad. Essentially all the foreign characters had terribly exaggerated accents, played as idiots and their nationality/race/religion was butt of almost all the jokes. It was essentially really lazy comedy. The sort of thing they could remake now, in more enlightened times and be very clever with the humour. Clever it was not.

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I think it's a tragedy we can't publically laugh at our differences and think it leads to increase tension personally

Is it off-limits? I don't think it is, but the boundaries are a little clearer these days. The Asian kids in my school probably found it "increased tension" when people copied the funny accents off MYL to mock them and belittle them, and grew up perpetuating the stereotypes of foreigners as inferior idiots

I thought you were against collectivism and for recognising that people are individuals, so it's curious that you are advocating for more stereotyping being OK. How does that help anyone?

45 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I wasn't being entirely serious that it was racist, but it was just horribly unfunny stereotyping. In fact according to Wikipedia it was cancelled by Michael Grade in 1979 for that very reason, which tells you it must have been bad. Essentially all the foreign characters had terribly exaggerated accents, played as idiots and their nationality/race/religion was butt of almost all the jokes. It was essentially really lazy comedy. The sort of thing they could remake now, in more enlightened times and be very clever with the humour. Clever it was not.

Is it off-limits? I don't think it is, but the boundaries are a little clearer these days. The Asian kids in my school probably found it "increased tension" when people copied the funny accents off MYL to mock them and belittle them, and grew up perpetuating the stereotypes of foreigners as inferior idiots

I thought you were against collectivism and for recognising that people are individuals, so it's curious that you are advocating for more stereotyping being OK. How does that help anyone?

Yeah id say its pretty off-limits, and that the boundaries have never been less clear. I am against collectivism. But I've also made it pretty clear cultural traits exist and that steotyping isn't necessarily bad when you're aware you're doing it. I've said numerous times that if you can never stereotype you'll render every sociologist unemployed.

Thanks for the info on MYL as I'm probably not going to be buying the box set.

Archived