Plan B needed or not?

Half fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, curb said:

Not going mental after every defeat and screaming at players when they make a mistake would also help the team no end. 

Yeah but dont you know, people pay their money so it entitles them to boo boo boo at half time when we are 1-0 down at home.

Or so im told.

I think with McLaren it was very reliant on getting the ball into Martin and playing off him with runners, Bryson, Russell, Hendrick etc. Therefore stop the ball into Martin to stop us playing?!

Frank seems to play a slightly different way, a bit more possession based but with no real focal point, I can see a more mobile energetic striker coming (Marriott ?) with the ability to interchange and move defenders around to create space. Martin was very good at what he did but didn’t offer a great deal of mobility.

My point being that ‘Plan B’ might not be needed as ‘Plan A’ will be difficult to defend against if the team is playing well... which you can’t always guarantee?!!

13 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Frank seems to play a slightly different way, a bit more possession based but with no real focal point, I can see a more mobile energetic striker coming (Marriott ?) with the ability to interchange and move defenders around to create space. Martin was very good at what he did but didn’t offer a great deal of mobility.

Nonsense. He might not have the pace of a racehorse but moving defenders around and creating space is one of the things he can do.

1 hour ago, curb said:

Not going mental after every defeat and screaming at players when they make a mistake would also help the team no end. 

Interesting how positive the crowd were yesterday too, were applauding every good thing, even the ones that didn't quite come off. It was lovely.

I know only the people who really care about the club attend friendlies ( someone on another thread called us weirdos or something similar!) but I hope the positive buzz rubs off onto the steady season ticket holders who attend out of habit. That would be a real plan B that we haven't had for a while! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting how positive the crowd were yesterday too, were applauding every good thing, even the ones that didn't quite come off. It was lovely.

I know only the people who really care about the club attend friendlies ..

Or pay £5 to watch the stream. ?

I was cheering and bouncing - but only the neighbours knew! ?

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nonsense. He might not have the pace of a racehorse but moving defenders around and creating space is one of the things he can do.

What I meant was that Frank would seem to want a striker to run in behind the defenders to create space for the attacking midfielders not so much the ball into feet like Martin. I would still keep Martin on the books and always would have done because he’s a good intelligent footballer.

22 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

What I meant was that Frank would seem to want a striker to run in behind the defenders to create space for the attacking midfielders not so much the ball into feet like Martin. I would still keep Martin on the books and always would have done because he’s a good intelligent footballer.

Or maybe he's playing that way atm because that is the strength of our fit strikers? Not like previous managers making a square peg fit a round hole, he's made the hole round.

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or pay £5 to watch the stream. ?

I was cheering and bouncing - but only the neighbours knew! ?

Yes, didn’t mean to imply all the people who didn't attend are half-arsed, just that all the half-arsed supporters won't have attended! There's a difference  (I hope.)

12 hours ago, SK47 said:

Plan B for me is individual brilliance. When tactics can't find a break through that's down to the players/subs to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and pull something out the bag they wouldn't normally try when following plan A. We now have those players imo.

(Edit) A new striker wouldn't go a miss. We would probably need to see a couple outgoings too in that department first though.

This exactly! It explains at the same time why Fellaini is so wanted by all the big clubs. He offers something special, something very different than others.

When you have a rigid plan A that relies of scarce resources of particular types of player then you do need a plan B because plan A can be disrupted by clever teams or  key injuries

If you have more adaptable players with a wide range of interchangeable skills then you don’t have a rigid plan that needs an alternative. Plan A in this case encompasses a greater range of variables 

Plan B is either a change of player. Formation or a change of style of game management.

best example is Martin would have been great to have last season. When playing Fulham the ball just kept coming back. Martin would have taken the foul, and moved the team 40 yards up the pitch slowing the game down and taking off the pressure on our defence. 

It could also be all the above but depends on the requirement to change. Do we need a goal, need to protect a lead or just relieve pressure or apply it.

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I bet you still had fans calling for a Plan B, though.

Yes - that's fair.

Plan A was pretty much 'get the first goal' and 'keep total control of the ball, playing near risk-free football'.  The Sky Sports stat of what happens once Wolves got the first goal was ominous for the opposition! (something like W27 D2?)

But who knows?  We may need a Plan B in the Premier, as it is likely to be less easy to do both of these things.

18 hours ago, Andicis said:

Since then, you made the Premier League, and we regressed for 4 years! Hopefully we can catch up with you for next season... 

It's ebbed and flowed.  Going even further back, like 2002-2005 Wolves probably had the better of it.  More recently, up until last year, it would too often end with us getting walloped. 

We were in League One in 2013-14, things can turn around (for the better or worse!) very quickly.

1 hour ago, Molinstu said:

We were in League One in 2013-14, things can turn around (for the better or worse!) very quickly.

...As Sunderland can testify. Good luck up there but don’t forget you’re main objective is to cheese Warnock off again. I can recommend a match postponement, does he not like that ? ? 

How’s about let every other team worry about us instead? You’d never heard the term “plan A, B or C” 20 years ago..... 

Internet’s a funny place.....

Plan B? If teams sit back against you, have midfielders with enough quality to spank one in from 20 yards, or wingers with enough dribbling skill to take it past them, or be good at set pieces, because teams that sit back tend to give you a lot of corners and free kicks in dangerous areas. I don’t think teams working out how to stop us was the problem, more of how easy it was to stop us, because we did not have players who could unlock a defence.

Under Mcclaren we heavily relied on Martin holding up the ball and playing neat flicks. Martin was slow so easily man marked out of the game. Teams realised this and thus our entire strategy went to poo.

Last season under Rowett, plan A was not even good IMO. We had an extremely lucky run of results, winning games that we did not deserve to win. Sitting back against teams like Burton and Sunderland hoping to hit them on the break is a load of rubbish no matter if teams know you are going to do it or not.

Archived