Match Policing Costs

Arsene Titman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should adopt the same "completely different model" that Chelsea Arsenal and Spurs use resulting in their reduced costs. 

I really can't believe there is any greater risk inside and around PP than there is at those London grounds. 

I wonder what other championship clubs (specifically the likes of Leeds and Birmingham) are charged. 

Unfortunately it's difficult to decipher the cost of policing a football team. London will always be  disproportionate representation of cost with more teams than any other police force. 

Derbyshire have DCFC and Chesterfield (not so much now since their relegation), but it's difficult to police any football match regardless of numbers. They are policed on risk not the amount of fans.

59 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe we should adopt the same "completely different model" that Chelsea Arsenal and Spurs use resulting in their reduced costs. 

I really can't believe there is any greater risk inside and around PP than there is at those London grounds. 

I wonder what other championship clubs (specifically the likes of Leeds and Birmingham) are charged. 

What we don't know is what the internal security costs of the match are. From that article it seems that DCFC use more police inside and directly outside the ground than the London clubs. But does that mean we use fewer stewards and private security people? If we pay £20k for police and £5k for our own people, it might actually be cheaper than Chelse paying £2k for police and £50k for their own staff. Until we know the internal costs it's impossible to make a direct comparison.

“The characteristics of the stadium and its surrounding area, the level of safety provision in place within the club, the volume and behaviour of away followings and the nature of the partnership arrangements between club and force are some of these factors."

What does this bit mean?

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

What we don't know is what the internal security costs of the match are. From that article it seems that DCFC use more police inside and directly outside the ground than the London clubs. But does that mean we use fewer stewards and private security people? If we pay £20k for police and £5k for our own people, it might actually be cheaper than Chelse paying £2k for police and £50k for their own staff. Until we know the internal costs it's impossible to make a direct comparison.

Good point. We don't know all the details.

Always been a mystery to me, this. I pay a fortune in tax for the police. I don’t begrudge one penny of it. If I go about my normal business - work, home, family stuff, UK travel - they are there to look after me when I need them. I consider it pre-paid. Thankfully I rarely need them.

If I do risky stuff - driving on motorways, attending anti-Trump protests, walking through Nottingham - again I know they have my back at no extra cost.

Why is it that when I attend a game of football with 25,000+ good Derby folk, all of whom also contribute to the upkeep of the constabulary (well, most of them at least), I have to pay again as part of the ticket price?

Policing football is tricky.

You can have low risk Cat A matches that go off inside and outside the ground but Cat C matches go smoothly... like Millwall for example, all their matches were Cat C for a long time and heavily policed for good reason but as soon as it calmed down abit and the police decided a match was low risk (can't remember which) they dropped it to a Cat B, left them all to it and all hell broke loose... can't win really.

Unfortunatley London is where the money is... Derbyshire Constabulary like the rest of the county forces haven't got a pot to piss in and can't pay overtime to the officers needed to make it safe for fans so an agreement is made with the club.

London don't have that problem, loads of officers, loads of money, the terrorism threat (different pot of money all together) 

Not only that but there's a possibility DCFC are paying the Police to police the town and areas around the ground to make it safer for fans when other clubs don't.

Times have moved on and it would be good if everyone could behave but there will always be bother at the football.

Would be a lot better in Franks pocket.

Archived