Blackman

CapeTownRams

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So he wasn’t good enough to be played in his preferred role even in MM league? Or is he a wide player?

Blackman played the first 8 games out wide scoring 3 goals, then played the next 9 games as a striker scoring 4 goals. 

But ignoring that for a second, not sure it would have been a fair conclusion to jump to, McClaren played Vydra out wide, was he good enough to play in his preferred position? His Golden boot probably answers that question.

Managers don't always use players in their preferred roles, won't always be as they are not good enough, probably feel they can offer something that they don't have elsewhere.

Johnny Russell another example came down to England as a striker, played out wide, has now travelled across the pond and played out wide again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

Blackman played the first 8 games out wide scoring 3 goals, then played the next 9 games as a striker scoring 4 goals. 

But ignoring that for a second, not sure it would have been a fair conclusion to jump to, McClaren played Vydra out wide, was he good enough to play in his preferred position? His Golden boot probably answers that question.

Managers don't always use players in their preferred roles, won't always be as they are not good enough...

No it’s normally because they’re not as good as the first choice in whichever position, so get played elsewhere - l’m surprised there have been no rumours about Blackman then, or am I. As for Vydra he’s got to be in his first choice position else gives little else.

2 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

I think Nick Blackman is a very good player and should be used by Frank. 

I know Harry rates him. 

I'ts an interesting debate that's for sure, depends on what system Frank would play.

Where would be Blackmans best position be? 

Would the fans be willing to give him another chance ahead of our under 23's? 

Blackman's got good feet, he's quick, and he can get some crazy power behind his shots. I don't know if he'll have a good season or not, but he has the tools capable of doing well. 

Lets see what the coaching staff can do with him ?

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Same could be said for all our players then. At least somebody wanted him in loan last season which is more that can be said for others

So let’s hope he goes on loan again then - who would you leave out for Blackman to play?

Just now, SaintRam said:

Blackman's got good feet, he's quick, and he can get some crazy power behind his shots. I don't know if he'll have a good season or not, but he has the tools capable of doing well. 

Lets see what the coaching staff can do with him ?

He’s a poor mans Weimann!

3 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I'ts an interesting debate that's for sure, depends on what system Frank would play.

Where would be Blackmans bets position be? 

Would the fans be willing to give him another chance ahead of our under 23's? 

Hope so. 

Looking forward to seeing what formation and style  Frank adopts. 

Best position in the Sterling role. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

So let’s hope he goes on loan again then - who would you leave out for Blackman to play?

That's the crux of the debate, a regular has to be dropped for Blackman to play.

He doesn't seem like an impact sub type of player.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He’s a poor mans Weimann!

I don't think that's true at all. He's got a far superior shot on him than Weimann and he's much better in the air.

Weimann's faster and probably better at finding space. 

I wouldn't be *shocked* if, with our current crop of players, Blackman starts against Reading, he looks really sharp in the training snippets. But I wouldn't expect him to get much of a look-in again throughout the season if he plays poorly.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Couldn’t say as I’ve not seen them in training nor read the report from Jordi Cruyff from his time at tell Aviv.

one thing I do know is that you won’t change your mind so I will leave it there

4 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

That's the crux of the debate, a regular has to be dropped for Blackman to play.

He doesn't seem like an impact sub type of player.

I suppose it’s down to if Vydra and Martin leave or not and who comes in. 

Always unsure about Blackman but he has pace to burn and a terrific shot on him. 

I would like Frank to work with him and I think he will because of Harry’s opinion on him. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No it’s normally because they’re not as good as the first choice in whichever position, so get played elsewhere - l’m surprised there have been no rumours about Blackman then, or am I. As for Vydra he’s got to be in his first choice position else gives little else.

Really? So Wenger didn't transform Henry from a winger to forward and to quote Thierry “At a certain point, I wanted to go to Wenger and tell him to put me back out wide,” . Gareth Bale didn't go from being a left back Forest were looking at signing to a winger playing for Real Madrid.

Maybe Cruyff felt that Blackman would simply offer the team more by playing out wide, maybe it was covering injuries as he's a player that can adapt to a number of positions if needed, he finished the season off up top either way which throws out the not good enough theory. 

21 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I dont think I ever will 

Look for me he does not fit into derby sysytem.

No one knows what system/style of play Lampard is going to implement yet, so how can you say he's not going to fit in something that isn't there?

The difficulty for Blackman Anya and Butterfield is that not only did we pay way too much in transfer fee but we gave far too much in wages which means no one is realistically going to take them full time and they themselves are not going to walk out on all that money ( doesn’t compare with Aston Villa’s problems) 

blackman -well so far he has produced nothing encouraging from a supporter point of view but if lampard wants to use him and sees a positive then we should all get behind him despite his performances so far just like everyone else but if not we need to move him on again probably on loan taking a % hit on his wages like we probably did last season but so far he has been a dreadful signing 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Really? So Wenger didn't transform Henry from a winger to forward and to quote Thierry “At a certain point, I wanted to go to Wenger and tell him to put me back out wide,” . Gareth Bale didn't go from being a left back Forest were looking at signing to a winger playing for Real Madrid.

Maybe Cruyff felt that Blackman would simply offer the team more by playing out wide, maybe it was covering injuries as he's a player that can adapt to a number of positions if needed, he finished the season off up top either way which throws out the not good enough theory. 

Ha ha ha ? We’ve got the Championships Henry we just don’t know it. I repeat he’s a poor man’s Weimann. 

35 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think he’s an inside-forward to be honest. Start from the right, drift in, play one twos and get shots off

Perhaps, but he will still have to get by his man.  Of course i want him to succeed at Derby, i just doubt it

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Ha ha ha ? We’ve got the Championships Henry we just don’t know it. I repeat he’s a poor man’s Weimann. 

Repeat what you like but it's better to just simply say I don't rate X player and leave it there, when you start throwing out theories such as he's not good enough to play in his own position in a Micky mouse league, and then move on to that's "normally" the case, it can often be found to be a load of balls with facts and classic examples which you just laugh off.

Anyhow it took me 2 minutes to discover that Blackman did play up top and finished the season there. It's 2 minutes that you wouldn't have thought to research before posting as your mind is made up, Blackman is useless, sell him now. 

It's the same as an earlier comment by a member in the topic "If he can't make it in a Micky Mouse league like the Israeli league it's time to give up." Really? And now we have B4 with "Look for me he does not fit into derby sysytem." when not one of us even have a clue what system Lampard is going to play yet.

Blackman is another player which arrived under the Clement tenure that hasn’t really settled at Derby, every time he’s fell off the injury table another manager has been in charge wanting to play a different style of football. He’s been at the club over 2 years now and been on the pitch in a Derby shirt for a total of 754 minutes which in game time is 8 games under 3 managers, possibly 4 if he played under Wassall.

I think it's pretty understandable why we haven't really seen what he has to offer yet, but if Lampard does decide to give him a clean slate, maybe we should as well. I don't recall a Mr Chris Martin overly impressing in his first 8 games at the club either under one manager. 

Archived