Rolls Royce job cuts

McRamFan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partly that yeah, and partly the fact that they have joined the race to the bottom on jobs

Thousands of jobs have been moved to India, where they get to pay a tiny fraction of the wages

Plus the large intake of apprentices every year that they pay peanuts

These redundancies will be targeted at the over 50s for sure. Don't be surprised if they end up with age discrimination law suits over the whole thing

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44479410

Not surprised, bloated middle management and loads of non jobs. Private version of the NHS.

Typical attitude to 'Backoffice redundencies' these people have mortgages and families to support like anyone else but a long as the 'Frontline staff' are protected no one cares 

Our company has made thousands or people redundant over the last couple of years, are there are some I know who still haven't found jobs, because it is an IT company then it doesn't make the news , but make a Nurse or a School teacher redundant and the whole country rings it hands in despair

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Typical attitude to 'Backoffice redundencies' these people have mortgages and families to support like anyone else but a long as the 'Frontline staff' are protected no one cares 

Our company has made thousands or people redundant over the last couple of years, are there are some I know who still haven't found jobs, because it is an IT company then it doesn't make the news , but make a Nurse or a School teacher redundant and the whole country rings it hands in despair

Having been both a supplier and sub contractor to Rolls Royce, across multiple sites and disciplines, I can assure you that its not about genuine back office staff.

There are job titles in that place that came out of Christmas crackers, and if your job title is borderline a sentence, and words like Black belt', or deputy assistant PA to fiscal responsibility and sustainability sub director, you need to start asking WTF is going on.

PistoldPete2

Sorry to hear about job cuts but any firm that has 4,000 middle manager jobs needs to have a look at itself.

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Sorry to hear about job cuts but any firm that has 4,000 middle manager jobs needs to have a look at itself.

It doesn't (have 4000 middle managers) - trust me. They seem quite keen to obscure the fact that they have moved a shed load of jobs to india.

On 14/06/2018 at 13:07, mike93rh said:

Crazy they were paying out bonuses to most employees in the same year they're cutting 4,600 jobs. Stinks of Carillion-style management, not the employees' fault. 

Just because R-R are making workers redundant doesn't mean they are not making a profit. It means that senior directors want to reduce overhead costs and so make more profits for the shareholders.

The bonuses paid to the employees will be part of their wages, that will have been agreed to during pay negotiations.

On 14/06/2018 at 09:47, JG400 said:

Here here. 

I don’t think people realise how much work back office staff do in terms of being an essential part of the business. Ok, they might not have the cool skills to build the engines, but they work on all the boring admin work that they don’t see behind the scenes. I used to work for a company who RR use as there supply chain for the majority of their small parts. RR use an ancient computer programme that’s not changed for 25 years to deal with stock control. Takes forever to get used to. 

All the logistical paperwork, the constant phone conversations to different locations across the world, angry customers. They don’t have to deal with any of that. I agree there are too many middle managers, but who’s fault is that? These “useless” managers got a nice contract waved at them by their manager on 70-100k a year. Why don’t the top dogs at big companies take a hit? Sack them for failing to deal with the spiralling wage bill. It’s not the back office staff that can’t organise the company’s structure properly. 

Makes me laugh how the frontline staff can demand “x percentage pay rise” yet office staff don’t get anything because they sit on their bums doing nothing all day. I remember going into a meeting with top bosses at my last office job in logistics. The lorry drivers demanded a pay rise and they got it. Office staff were promised the same pay rise then a month before, company told us office staff would not get anything. No explanation.

But we didn’t cry to our union.....

PistoldPete2
On 14 June 2018 at 13:20, StivePesley said:

It doesn't (have 4000 middle managers) - trust me. They seem quite keen to obscure the fact that they have moved a shed load of jobs to india.

Engineers I speak to at Rolls are always complaining there's tooo many middle managers. So it's no surprise to me they are shedding some. Sorry for those who will be losing their jobs of course. 

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

But we didn’t cry to our union.....

Well you should have said something.

It's, like I said before, not about genuine back office staff, it's all about the bloated middle management, who, if you knew anything about RR, only exist because they get internally transfered from a department that doesn't want them, and given a pay rise and a job title that means SFA, because RR are scared to sack anyone. (You can add a number of compaines to that list, especially the NHS and banks).

RR has now realised that something has to be done, and a lot of non jobs will be culled.

I have been made redundant 3 times in my life, all over the last 12 years. It is a horrible time so my deepest sympathies go to those affected. 

I used to work at RR many years ago pre children so I know how bloated their salaries were becoming. My hubby has never worked there but he always says they get paid £30k for buying pencils, just from chatting to his mates who do work there. A lot of them have very little idea what it’s like to work in a company where the wages are more like the real world. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

It's, like I said before, not about genuine back office staff, it's all about the bloated middle management, who, if you knew anything about RR, only exist because they get internally transfered from a department that doesn't want them, and given a pay rise and a job title that means SFA, because RR are scared to sack anyone. (You can add a number of compaines to that list, especially the NHS and banks).

RR has now realised that something has to be done, and a lot of non jobs will be culled.

News to me that banks dont like shedding jobs. They seem to be doing it all the time, especially now with branches closing amost daily. 

7 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Engineers I speak to at Rolls are always complaining there's tooo many middle managers. So it's no surprise to me they are shedding some. Sorry for those who will be losing their jobs of course. 

There are too many but there are not 4000 - not even close

Trust me - this is about moving jobs to India, and the whole thing about middle managers is a smoke screen. It's a widely known fact in all companies above a certain size that you bloat with managers, so they know that people will buy that as a story

7 hours ago, McRamFan said:

To read the papers and listen to the tories, surely this only happens in the public sector. 

Archived