World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

The right blend of resting players is to make 8 changes? Bloody hell.

I think it is. Pickford and Stones play in less demanding positions than the other England so will be less tired, whereas Loftus Cheek only started in today’s game.

The likes of Lingard, Trippier, Young, Sterling, Kane and Henderson did so much running in the first couple of games) so it’s important that they are properly rested for the latter games. Rio Ferdinand said it himself that in past tournaments the teams he played in were so fatigued, which affected their performances.

The game against Belgium doesn’t  mean anything anyway to be honest. England are in a win-win position. Win against Belgium and the confidence and momentum will continue, lose and finishing 2nd will turn out to be a blessing because the teams they face will be easier to play against.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

England v Belgium may be a dead rubber game as both teams will want to lose, Martinez has already confirmed he will rest players. The team who finishes 1st will have a harder run looking at the projected ties.  This would be my team, right blend of resting players and giving players minutes for the rest of the tournament

Pickford  

Jones    Stones    Cahill

TAA                 Dier               Rose

Loftus Cheek  Delph

Vardy      Rashford 

So at this stage you know who is

a) going to win Group H

b) the best team in Group H

Well done. I haven't got a bloody clue - but then again, I know absolutely nothing about football. I know that, because a wise man told me so.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

a) going to win Group H

Well done. I haven't got a bloody clue - but then again, I know absolutely nothing about football. I know that, because a wise man told me so.

He who knows everything has a lot to learn.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

a) going to win Group H

Hence why I said,”projected.”If the way things continue, the likes of Brazil, Germany, Portugal/Spain and France and Argentina(if they win) will be in the same half of the draw whereas the team who finishes 2nd in England’s group will be in the other half of the draw which as projected, is significantly easier.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If I were Senegal or Japan or Colombia or Poland I wouldn't be able to wait to stick it to the arrogant bankers who tried to finish 2nd in group G.

Perhaps, but it may be what Martinez is thinking after he said he is going to rest key players against England.

It should be more clear by the time we have faced Belgium as most of the other teams would have played by then.

It’s a risky tactic to use, but if used properly it can work really well as Portugal showed in the euros when they faced Croatia, Poland and Wales on the way to the final before facing France. Whilst those teams are good teams, they managed to avoid all of the “top” European sides all the way to the final.

I think we have go out and be positive. We want to win the group, surely?

The bottom half of the draw looks easier on paper. But a knockout game v Iceland also looked easier on paper, didn’t it?

At the end of the day, if we want to win the whole tournament, we are going to have to beat a top team at some stage.

So I would rather we win on Thursday, finish top, and test ourselves against the best, than get humbled by Senegal or Mexico in the ‘easier’ half of the draw.

52 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Hence why I said,”projected.”If the way things continue, the likes of Brazil, Germany, Portugal/Spain and France and Argentina(if they win) will be in the same half of the draw whereas the team who finishes 2nd in England’s group will be in the other half of the draw which as projected, is significantly easier.

Not on the message I replied to. Anyway, my two pennyworth. To go into a game wanting to lose is plain bonkers, because it removes any and all momentum that has been achieved up to that point. Besides, all it needs is a couple of other results to be other than anticipated and the whole scenario changes. This hasn't exactly been the most predictable World Cup so far (unless your name happens to be @maydrakin, of course).

No idea why we’d want to lose the Belgium game. Either way the last 16 game will be winnable and after that you never know what will happen. England should feel like they can beat anyone at the moment, and a game against Germany/Brazil after those two sides have exhausted each other in the round of 16 game is definitely winnable.

I’d make three changes for the Belgium game - Rose for Young to give us more width on the left, Delph for L-C for a bit more defensive nous in midfield and Alli for Sterling for aggression going forward and link up play.

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

The only negative(very minor) is the set piece routine that Trippier used for the goal, wouldn’t it be better if we saved that for later on in the tournament as other teams will be wary of it. Very minor though.

Exactly what I said to one of my dogs on the sofa with me.

He looked at me knowingly and then licked his balls.

Easy peasy even at walking pace. Daft goal to give away but after seeing the struggle the top sides have had breaking down teams who want to counter England fans should be happy at 2-0. 

The best use of set pieces in the tournament. Every corner causes chaos and every free kick has been delivered perfect from Trippier. 

Looking forward to seeing how England cope with defending. I think they'll be alright. I think we've played two games where it been clear our opponents want to sit back and frustrate and counter. Sometimes defending is easier when you are doing it more. 

I mean the logic that because Panama had chance to break on us that Spain will smash us doesn't stack up because Spain won't be in a game where they will get chance to break quickly. It will be England looking to break.

We've seen England brush aside the minnows more convincingly than any favourite. 

Now we'll see a different side of England next. They've got top marks so far. Set pieces they will have a weapon many many sides don't have.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Not on the message I replied to. Anyway, my two pennyworth. To go into a game wanting to lose is plain bonkers, because it removes any and all momentum that has been achieved up to that point. Besides, all it needs is a couple of other results to be other than anticipated and the whole scenario changes. This hasn't exactly been the most predictable World Cup so far (unless your name happens to be @maydrakin, of course).

Whereas I wholeheartedly agree that going in to lose is foolish I utterly disagree that momentum is that important.

The teams who tend to win the WC  are frequently in poor form at the beginning (see Germany every ft they have won it, plus Argentina twice)

Other than 66 when I was barely able to walk, the tournaments we did well at, we always started slow.

86 we were horrible in the group phases until a Lineker hat-trick over Poland bailed us out and then Argentina cheated us.

90 we were horrible in the group phase and only went through on goals scored with the Netherlands after we failed to win a group game. Then we barely got past Cameroon and didn't really play that well until we lost to West Germany in the semis.

Euro 96 - needed Gary McAllister to miss a penalty and a wonder goal by Gazza. Then played probably the most dominant performance by an England team I have ever seen in beating the Netherlands before losing on penalties to you know who.

I prefer to be playing well and I prefer not to be trying to manipulate who we play in the last 16, but I'm not too concerned by form at this stage.

Note: All of the above was done without the aid of Google, so if my memory wrong I'm about to look foolish. 

3 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Boooo we’ve won the two opening  games.....

Regardless of the opposition, the football we’ve been playing is the best I’ve seen from an England team. That first half was amazing.

It reminded me very much of the Derby v Hull game to be honest. Goals from set-pieces overshadowing what was a pretty average performance. Now don't get me wrong, this team can play better, and it surely isn't a bad thing to win 6-1 when in 'open play' we really didn't create a great deal at all.

I'm just cautious. It takes a particular type of performance to get me really excited and on the whole, from what I've seen of England so far, we've been really average but absolutely lethal from set-pieces.

Maybe what we're doing now will be good enough to go far. I mentioned this earlier, but it's a real shame we didn't play Belgium in one of the two opening games where we really could have tested ourselves.

I can't take much at all from our last two games. The opposition were dire, but they made the game look scrappy by offering little going forward, committing numerous fouls and dropping really deep.

2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Not sure why anyone would be happy playing Mexico in the quarters, they look more threatening than Brazil and Germany.

Mexico would look technically better and quicker than England. But I don't think Mexico would cope with England's threat at set-pieces. England would have such a height advantage. 

I'd probably root for Mexico if the two face eachother. I consider myself half Mex now, and I do enjoy their mentality at the World Cup, especially when they play against teams who consider themselves superior.

Besides, I love an underdog and England would no doubt start the game as favourites.

Archived