World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

PistoldPete2

Not enough quality from England... I thought we might rue the missed chances by Kane and Lingard and we did. Good effort from a young England but obviously not good enough. yet again we miss out when it matters. Oh and finishing a World Cup game with just 10 men for the third time in our last six  world cups .. 1998 , 2006 and now 2018 probably doesn't help. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hard to defend that. What an absolute c0ck up and what an opportunity missed.

This lot will never have a better chance. Croatia were really average, and we made them look like world beaters from half-time onwards. A Brazil or France would have battered us on that second half display.

Better team won.

Overall I think Croatia were the better team on the night... An element of luck with their second goal as the header could have gone anywhere , but well taken in the end. They were battered in the first half of course. Don't know how they finished the game so strongly when they have played three games on the trot going to 120 minutes. 

I don't agree with the thought that this team have started something special.

On the face of it, the first time we meet a decent outfit and we lose. The next World Cup we could meet any one of the Spain, Germany, Brazil, France, Belgium, Portugal etc. in the last 16 and lose and people will call it a failure.

We've had a great run at this World Cup. But we've blown a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It hurts.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hard to defend that. What an absolute c0ck up and what an opportunity missed.

This lot will never have a better chance. Croatia were really average, and we made them look like world beaters from half-time onwards. A Brazil or France would have battered us on that second half display.

Better team won.

If Croatia wins the final, do you think Modric deserves the balon dor? Key member of the champions league Real Madrid team and in the World Cup. Might be another sneijder 2010 situation. Ronaldo to Juventus means he will have less of a chance no? 

PistoldPete2
Just now, Papahet said:

Kane looked knacked after twenty mins, why does he keep coming so bloody deep?!

Maguire, Pickford, Stones and Trippier the pick of the bunch. Hope to see Hughes make the squad for 2020 Euros

Yes Kane was very disappointing TBF and could have been subbed really. Missed a golden chance too in the first half. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Overall I think Croatia were the better team on the night... An element of luck with their second goal as the header could have gone anywhere , but well taken in the end. They were battered in the first half of course. Don't know how they finished the game so strongly when they have played three games on the trot going to 120 minutes. 

Playing with no midfielders and so deep with such little pressure on the ball just allowed them to gain momentum. Momentum goes such a long way in football, and we were knackered chasing the ball around.

If you look at the stats, we ran a lot more than they did. But we barely had the ball.

It was draining, and naive for us to sacrifice possession against a team with arguably the most creative midfielder in the world.

I hope Croatia go on and do it. But I think France will beat them easily, as Pogba and Kante will just pressure the Croatian midfield and not give them all the time in the world like we did.

PistoldPete2
10 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

So we beat Sweden of note in this World Cup. Can't help but feel bitterly disappointed, had we been beaten by Brazil or something then fair enough. Feels a missed opportunity.

Colombia were tough opponents too. Croatia have very good players and unlike Brazil they play as a team and deserve to be in the final. 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Not enough quality from England... I thought we might rue the missed chances by Kane and Lingard and we did. Good effort from a young England but obviously not good enough. yet again we miss out when it matters. Oh and finishing a World Cup game with just 10 men for the third time in our last six  world cups .. 1998 , 2006 and now 2018 probably doesn't help. 

Yes we definitely need a player who can pick a pass.

Do Derby get any extra transfer money off Watford if Will Hughes plays for the senior England team.

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Playing with no midfielders and so deep with such little pressure on the ball just allowed them to gain momentum. Momentum goes such a long way in football, and we were knackered chasing the ball around.

If you look at the stats, we ran a lot more than they did. But we barely had the ball.

It was draining, and naive for us to sacrifice possession against a team with arguably the most creative midfielder in the world.

I hope Croatia go on and do it. But I think France will beat them easily, as Pogba and Kante will just pressure the Croatian midfield and not give them all the time in the world like we did.

Did england sacrifice possession or is it just that Croatia with mo dric and raticic are better at passing and keeping the ball? 

Just now, 1of4 said:

Yes we definitely need a player who can pick a pass.

Do Derby get any extra transfer money off Watford if Will Hughes plays for the senior England team.

Don’t think Hughes has got the killer pass at a high level like this. Phil foden will be the one to take the England team to the next level. I predict he will be in the England team by the end of the year.

Archived