World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, GadFly said:

You're absolutely right, but I think you know where I'm coming from. 

Yep, I sure do 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Agree. Whole heartedly. 

We've scored one "decent" goal - Lingard's against Panama. We have got extremely (I literally can't emphasise that word enough) lucky with the draw. The one time we came up against what I'd personally consider to be "proper" opposition (Belgium), we've lost. The football has been boring (I'd think a Derby County forum that on the whole slates Rowett for his style, would agree with that), the only thing distracting from that is that the results haven't been boring. Kane may be on for the golden boot but he's had 4 (?) penalties and one goal that should have been counted as Loftus-Cheek's really... he's not been all that. We created absolutely sod all chances of note against Colombia. Oh, and Sterling is trash... as a striker. Tell me I'm wrong. 

When we come up against a real team of any real quality, we will probably lose. I'm fine with that, we did well to get this far and I'm genuinely ecstatic about it. However, being happy with the progress in the tournament and the results we've had thus far, and being objective about the football I'm seeing, do not need to be mutually exclusive. 

I'm sorry but you're not going to suck the joy out of this.

Some of us are having a wonderful time and no miserable sod is going to spoilt that.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm sorry but you're not going to suck the joy out of this.

Some of us are having a wonderful time and no miserable sod is going to spoilt that.

I can be very happy about doing very well in the world cup, but also have eyes and a brain and therefore possess the ability to experience the joy in this whilst maintaining some objectivity, realism... and sanity. Is that not allowed or something? 

Alright I'll get on board. 

The football has been majestic, against the superb opposition we've encountered in this unprecedentedly tough draw as well! We're definitely better than France and Belgium and will surely batter them 8-0 in the final, how could we not with all of those chances we create with our positive attacking football?! Sterling is the best striker in the world, Southgate is a tactical genius and football is obviously coming "home".

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

I can be very happy about doing very well in the world cup, but also have eyes and a brain and therefore possess the ability to experience the joy in this whilst maintaining some objectivity, realism... and sanity. Is that not allowed or something? 

Alright I'll get on board. 

The football has been majestic, against the superb opposition we've encountered in this unprecedentedly tough draw as well! We're definitely better than France and Belgium and will surely batter them 8-0 in the final, how could we not with all of those chances we create with our positive attacking football?! Sterling is the best striker in the world, Southgate is a tactical genius and football is obviously coming "home".

All you need to do in order to enjoy this World Cup is to take each match as it comes, and marvel at the upsets as they keep coming (as I type this, Russia take the lead against much-fancied Croatia).

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

All you need to do in order to enjoy this World Cup is to take each match as it comes, and marvel at the upsets as they keep coming (as I type this, Russia take the lead against much-fancied Croatia).

Yeah and I agree with that... I just don't understand why acknowledging that we've got ridiculously lucky with the draw, and actually haven't played that well if we're honest with ourselves, equates to not enjoying it?! I'm loving the fact we've done so well, I can just see the other stuff too. Everyone surely can - some just prefer not to acknowledge it, and jam their fingers in their ears when somebody else mentions it, which is totally fine!

11 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Agree. Whole heartedly. 

We've scored one "decent" goal - Lingard's against Panama. We have got extremely (I literally can't emphasise that word enough) lucky with the draw. The one time we came up against what I'd personally consider to be "proper" opposition (Belgium), we've lost. The football has been boring (I'd think a Derby County forum that on the whole slates Rowett for his style, would agree with that), the only thing distracting from that is that the results haven't been boring. Kane may be on for the golden boot but he's had 4 (?) penalties and one goal that should have been counted as Loftus-Cheek's really... he's not been all that. We created absolutely sod all chances of note against Colombia. Oh, and Sterling is trash... as a striker. Tell me I'm wrong. 

When we come up against a real team of any real quality, we will probably lose. I'm fine with that, we did well to get this far and I'm genuinely ecstatic about it. However, being happy with the progress in the tournament and the results we've had thus far, and being objective about the football I'm seeing, do not need to be mutually exclusive. 

To add a different perspective. 

We have been extremely lucky with the draw. I’ll accept that. I’ll also add the point that the golden generation, among others, are a bit hard done by. There have been years where we’ve seriously underperformed, and been gash, but there have also been years where we’ve been alright, but unlucky enough to meet a good Brazil in one of the earlier rounds. 

Belgium aren’t the only proper team we’ve met. Colombia are a good side, and Sweden didn’t get to the quarter finals on good looks (or good lucks) alone. To be honest, I’d rather we faced a Germany in there current form, or even a Brazil, at this stage. The ‘proper’ teams have been awful for the most part. 

And the loss to Belgium hardly counts in a friendly b-team match. I’d love the final to be a replay, and let’s see how the a-teams compare with each other. 

Kanes scored 3 penalties, but don’t let the truth get in the way of you’re argument. 2 headers and a lucky one off his heel. Nothing wrong with that, a goals a goal. We’ve scored 11 goals, 3 from open play, the rest are set pieces or penalties. He clear in the golden boot standings, and that’s having missed one game, and generally being brilliant unselfish in the other games. We’re great at set plays. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a bit like if Ipswich got to the fa cup final. I’m not going to moan if I’m an Ipswich fan. 

Or, you know what, we could just fill the team with who ever the English version of Ronaldo is these days, try to score nothing but wonder goals, and go out in the group stages (a la Germany). Wouldn’t even matter if we’d got a lucky draw then. But I much prefer the current situation. 

8 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Yeah and I agree with that... I just don't understand why acknowledging that we've got ridiculously lucky with the draw, and actually haven't played that well if we're honest with ourselves, equates to not enjoying it?! I'm loving the fact we've done so well, I can just see the other stuff too. Everyone surely can - some just prefer not to acknowledge it, and jam their fingers in their ears when somebody else mentions it, which is totally fine!

Also, we’ve not played that well. Perhaps compared to a Brazil in their prime. But we’ve played better than the opponents in front of us and that’s all you need to do.  We’ve played well generally. Maybe not astonishingly well, but we’ve been decent. We’ve got the most chances created in the tournament in trippier, and the most goals scored in Kane. 

Maybe when we meet a Belgium or a France in the final, we’ll be the underdogs based on performances. Maybe our performances would suggest we’re not the best in the world. 

But if we win that, are you going to say we should really hand the trophy over cos the other team played better football and scored more eye catching goals? duck that. 

Also, sterling isn’t a crap striker. He scored a boatload in the premier league. It’s not really working for him in front of goal for England (although I think he did make an important contribution in this game, as has been stated), but to say he’s a crap striker is balls. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

To add a different perspective. 

We have been extremely lucky with the draw. I’ll accept that. I’ll also add the point that the golden generation, among others, are a bit hard done by. There have been years where we’ve seriously underperformed, and been gash, but there have also been years where we’ve been alright, but unlucky enough to meet a good Brazil in one of the earlier rounds. 

Belgium aren’t the only proper team we’ve met. Colombia are a good side, and Sweden didn’t get to the quarter finals on good looks (or good lucks) alone. To be honest, I’d rather we faced a Germany in there current form, or even a Brazil, at this stage. The ‘proper’ teams have been awful for the most part. 

And the loss to Belgium hardly counts in a friendly b-team match. I’d love the final to be a replay, and let’s see how the a-teams compare with each other. 

Kanes scored 3 penalties, but don’t let the truth get in the way of you’re argument. 2 headers and a lucky one off his heel. Nothing wrong with that, a goals a goal. We’ve scored 11 goals, 3 from open play, the rest are set pieces or penalties. He clear in the golden boot standings, and that’s having missed one game, and generally being brilliant unselfish in the other games. We’re great at set plays. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a bit like if Ipswich got to the fa cup final. I’m not going to moan if I’m an Ipswich fan. 

Or, you know what, we could just fill the team with who ever the English version of Ronaldo is these days, try to score nothing but wonder goals, and go out in the group stages (a la Germany). Wouldn’t even matter if we’d got a lucky draw then. But I much prefer the current situation. 

I too prefer the current situation. Nothing I've said is supposed to sound as though I'd rather England weren't doing well! I'm just trying to call a spade a spade, say it as `I see it. It's wonderful that we've got this far, I'm delighted about it - I've never tried to say that I'm not happy about it, because I am! 

12 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Tell it to Spain.

Tell it to Germany.

Tell it to Portugal.

Tell it to Argentina.

Tell it to Brazil.

Tell it to Italy (who weren't even there).

Do you think when the tournament is over, anybody at all will care who played who in the groups, who were fortunate and who were unfortunate with the draw? The only reason that England were 'fortunate' with the draw is that all the fancied sides weren't actually as good as the know-it-alls thought they were, and either failed to get out of the groups they were going to walk through, or failed to beat the sides they were supposed to in the knockout.

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Also, sterling isn’t a crap striker. He scored a boatload in the premier league. It’s not really working for him in front of goal for England (although I think he did make an important contribution in this game, as has been stated), but to say he’s a crap striker is balls. 

Sterling is a crap striker. He scored a boat load of goals in the premier league yes, but he didn't do it as a striker. He did it playing out wide*. If he's not a striker then why are we playing him there? That miss when he was one on one with the keeper today absolutely epitomises Sterling, for me. 

World Cup final, it's 0-0 in the 90th minute... England are through, one on one with Courtois... who do you want that player to be, Vardy, Rashford... or Sterling? I'm saying Vardy all day every day. 

*Playing out wide... with Silva and De Bruyne putting the ball on his right foot 2 yards from an open net. Not some donkey like Henderson lumping it forward to him. 

3 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Sterling is a crap striker... That miss when he was one on one with the keeper today absolutely epitomises Sterling, for me. 

He had a good game today. Plus give him his due he keeps going, he doesn't hide. He's being played because he's the best we've got and we're doing just fine. Thought that was our best game as a team today, even with the chances Pickford saved (he's part of the team too).

It's about winning, just winning. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He had a good game today. Plus give him his due he keeps going, he doesn't hide. He's being played because he's the best we've got and we're doing just fine. Thought that was our best game as a team today, even with the chances Pickford saved (he's part of the team too).

It's about winning, just winning. 

Both Vardy and Rashford are better strikers in my opinion. Happy to agree to disagree on it though. 

Archived