World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Saudi Arabia were complete rubbish. 

I completely agree. Most rational people expected a comfortable Russia win against footballing minnows like Saudi Arabia. And so it proved. 

But Russia came into the tournament under a grey cloud. Despite being hosts, there was little optimism as they started the competition with several key players injured, as the lowest ranked team, and on one of their worst runs in their history. They hadn’t won since October of last year. So it’s not a surprise that some experts had their doubts.

This was very much a banana skin. Like a cup game between teams levels apart. They still had to approach the game calmly and professionally.

It was also a must win game given that they are not favoured against the stronger opposition in the group, but winning this game would provide a timely boost.

So the fact they were able to produce a convincing win rather than edging a nervy  game shows that they handled the occasion and the importance of the game well, in my opinion.

Momentum is key in knockout football and starting the tournament with a big win could prove crucial to Russia’s hopes advancing.

19 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Just spotted the "Spenge" and "Halle/S" banners in the crowd. Those guys must have been at 90% of matches at major tournaments in the last 10 years. Makes the Bexley Rams look like occasionals.

It's there again at Egypt v U Are Gay.

14 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Egypt look a decent side even without Salah.

i think Uruguay is making them look good by their low intensity, low tempo, ball to feet 442.  If they pick up the tempo and start running onto the ball in the final third, Egypt won't be able to handle them i reckon

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

A rubbish game with no goals played in front of a half empty stadium with loads of pink seats showing, one of the teams are in red and the other hasn't been famous since god was a boy..... remind you of anything?

Its not half empty - The VAST temporary stand is completely full. It is about 7k shy though. I don't know what's happened with the ticket allocation, it looks like they sold the temp stand before the actual stadium seats. Which is frankly bizarre.

Thinking about it, probably in order to justify the £45m cost of that temp stand.

Best atmosphere at the tournament so far is Morocco v Iran (early I know) - genuinely think we're missing out not having the 2026 WC in Morocco

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Best atmosphere at the tournament so far is Morocco v Iran (early I know) - genuinely think we're missing out not having the 2026 WC in Morocco

Had to put the game on mute, I thought we had heard the last of the vuvuzelas.

Archived