Shaun Barker

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/09/shaun-barker-burton-albion-retiring-derby-nigel-clough

A great article about him retiring and how he bust a gut to get back from that injury and how, while at Derby, played through a season of pain to keep us up.

Life affirming stuff and good luck to him in all his future endeavors.

To be fair, he was rewarded with a new contract even though he was obviously out long term.

Nice touch by the then owners.

59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

To be fair, he was rewarded with a new contract even though he was obviously out long term.

Nice touch by the then owners.

He was given the contract because the club ******* up his insurance. 

36 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Never connected the two events before, but is it just a coincidence that the Derby squad attitude became rotten after he finally left the club?

Yes. Yes it is. 

I bet the dressing room music went downhill as well.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

He was given the contract because the club ******* up his insurance. 

If I remember correctly, from a fans forum, no players where insured?

Something that has now changed.

I know the article is about SB but it says an awful lot about NC and the human qualities that both possess in abundance in a profession that isn’t always notable for the more noble side of human character. NC enabled SB to attain “closure” on his career that was savagely taken from him. It speaks volumes about both as individuals. I wish them both well and feel privileged to have played the tiniest part in this. Sometimes football is just secondary to the bigger picture. 

5 hours ago, cosmic said:

Never connected the two events before, but is it just a coincidence that the Derby squad attitude became rotten after he finally left the club?

Yes. Yes it is. 

I have no idea what the attitude of the squad is like, to be fair 

16 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Ah, mate I could tell you stories. I live in Craig Forsyth’s spare bootbag. 

Problem we have is with far too many fans telling us (********) stories, without ever backing it up with verifiable evidence

Archived