Championship squads cost to assemble

King Kevin

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That first half at Bolton not only cost us hughes and Bryson - massive losses but we signed Johnson and Butterfield- massive losses - and the spiral of dreadful signings bye and large

I think Clement thought it was easy to replace Hughes and Bryson. They were probably the best two players outside the premiership at the time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I think Clement thought it was easy to replace Hughes and Bryson. They were probably the best two players outside the premiership at the time.

I remember Mel owning up to a mistake with the 2 replacement signings, saying we should have brought in loans ,but hindsight's a wonderful thing. He backed his coach to the hilt - if he'd overruled ,I've no doubt some would have accused him of meddling. Seems to me he get's blasted when he's perceived to be meddling, and torpedoed when he doesn't.

2 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I remember Mel owning up to a mistake with the 2 replacement signings, saying we should have brought in loans ,but hindsight's a wonderful thing. He backed his coach to the hilt - if he'd overruled ,I've no doubt some would have accused him of meddling. Seems to me he get's blasted when he's perceived to be meddling, and torpedoed when he doesn't.

Yeah, no win situation for Mel. He had no choice but to back Clement.

7 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Millwall spent second lowest amount in the championship and look where they are. Very astute acquisitions and excellent management and team effort. Cardiff spent less than us too. Just shows how poor our season has been.

......and that shows just how far spirit, effort and good management can get you in this League. If Burton manage to stay up, it'll be those 3 qualities that do it.

12 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Millwall spent second lowest amount in the championship and look where they are. Very astute acquisitions and excellent management and team effort. Cardiff spent less than us too. Just shows how poor our season has been.

Sure let’s only consider speed on incoming players. When considering net transfer fees paid, we aren’t far off bottom 6

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sure let’s only consider speed on incoming players. When considering net transfer fees paid, we aren’t far off bottom 6

But if you did that for every club, for the sake of consistency, the position might be different again.

5 hours ago, ramblur said:

But if you did that for every club, for the sake of consistency, the position might be different again.

Probably not the most accurate of sources, but check this link out...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?saison_id=2017&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0&intern=1

Only Hull, Sunderland, Norwich, Brentford, and Forest has a net spend lower than us this season. 

Only this season mind*

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yeah, no win situation for Mel. He had no choice but to back Clement.

We are still not sure it was Clement, although he always gets the blame for this. He was a coach and the system at the time was others brought the players.. Mel and others put together the recruiting team. 

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We are still not sure it was Clement, although he always gets the blame for this. He was a coach and the system at the time was others brought the players.. Mel and others put together the recruiting team. 

One might even suspect the hand of Mr Sam Rush being influential....

I could genuinely have done a better job in the 15/16 transfer windows and 16/17 summer. It really was that bad. 

Tempted to say this season as well. Huddlestone in a midfield two? Jerome in, Martin out? Bag of crisps for Hughes? The Kieftenbald farce? 

I'm sure someone has pointed this out, but it's very different comparing spend over several years with different managers against the Wolves situation where one manager has spent the amount in more or less a single season to fund one single plan and style of play.

Putting together a football team is a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. It's a skill getting the right player and playing playing them in the right position . We seem to have several pieces that just don't fit. Probably in the right puzzle that is a different team several of our current players could be an asset. Did anyone watch Bryson in the Cardiff/ Forest match. Warnock used him differently and he was very effective.

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm sure someone has pointed this out, but it's very different comparing spend over several years with different managers against the Wolves situation where one manager has spent the amount in more or less a single season to fund one single plan and style of play.

Exactly ,dead easy isn't it just the opposite to what we've done.

There is no way we could carry on the spending of previous seasons. It was poor management from the top down during the Clement and Pearson era which have put us in a poor mess.

That's one of the reasons Rowett had been brought in he can get results on a more limited budget. We will need 8 of the first team to go before there is any more flexibility.

There are a number of contracts up this season but it's going to take time to fix.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Dead easy if it works. What if it doesn't?  FFP presumably looms large. 

Yes that's the down side ,my remarks were a bit off the cuff / sarcastic  having said that as any club had a severe penalty for breaching FFP?

Archived