Championship squads cost to assemble

King Kevin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Yes that's the down side ,my remarks were a bit off the cuff / sarcastic  having said that as any club had a severe penalty for breaching FFP?

I'm not too sure about that and it seems a drop in the ocean if you are promoted.

Look at QPR, went up, back down again and now arguing that they can't pay their fine as it will bankrupt them, I think.

Personally I think that if you're recruiting to a certain style of play, changing managers shouldn't have to be so detrimental to the squad strength. We all know Derby haven't done that and that is why our expensively assembled squad isn't working well.

I like what @Dappled Ram says above about pieces in the jigsaw.  I'm not sure whether Rowett isn't arranging them correctly at the moment to complete the picture or whether he has some pieces in there that are from another jigsaw altogether and that they will never fit! The latter, probably. :(

47 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Putting together a football team is a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. It's a skill getting the right player and playing playing them in the right position . We seem to have several pieces that just don't fit. Probably in the right puzzle that is a different team several of our current players could be an asset. Did anyone watch Bryson in the Cardiff/ Forest match. Warnock used him differently and he was very effective.

Even the most inexperienced manager and chairman should be able to do this, especially with a few months to assess players beforehand. You take what you have and you build on/around them, especially if you have limited budget.

Old head for defence to help handle pressure - check

Younger right back - check

Experienced string puller in midfield to replace Hughes and again manage pressure/create a spine - check (mostly)

Someone to do the leg work to enable that to happen - fail

Buy a winger to replace Ince - fail, instead we get a no.10 who can only really shine if we drop our key scorer

Another winger that we've been crying out for for about 3 years - fail

A younger striker to inject energy and work off Vydra - fail

Repeat last 3 steps in January window - fail, old striker who makes no impact and another no.10 to warm the bench.

Can't afford all of these, loan market. At the start of the season we had a promising young manager, and a squad that could have made the play offs so shouldn't have had much trouble attracting players - even more so in January.

If we were looking to get us back on track/for new impetus did we not look at Wolves (and Fulham) and consider the money spent on Jerome (no resale value and likely stuck witn him til his contract expires) could bring in a talisman for the next few months instead?

There have been basic errors at all levels. Recruitment, retention, management, selection, tactics, short, mid and long term plans, even hyperbole etc. Need to get a lot more of these basics right to move forward again.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Probably not the most accurate of sources, but check this link out...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?saison_id=2017&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0&intern=1

Only Hull, Sunderland, Norwich, Brentford, and Forest has a net spend lower than us this season. 

Only this season mind*

Fair enough, apart from the fact that 'undisclosed' must, by definition, lead to guesswork.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

We are still not sure it was Clement, although he always gets the blame for this. He was a coach and the system at the time was others brought the players.. Mel and others put together the recruiting team. 

Wasn't Evans there at the time, the guy who would come up with several alternatives for each position, and then let the coach decide who he wanted?

22 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Wasn't Evans there at the time, the guy who would come up with several alternatives for each position, and then let the coach decide who he wanted?

I don’t think Clement really bothered with him to be fair 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t think Clement really bothered with him to be fair 

That might suggest he picked his own players?

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

We are still not sure it was Clement, although he always gets the blame for this. He was a coach and the system at the time was others brought the players.. Mel and others put together the recruiting team. 

It was said at the time, and a few times since that Clement gave the go ahead for every player that was signed when he was in charge. He also said that he wanted to sign Blackman.

16 hours ago, ramblur said:

I remember Mel owning up to a mistake with the 2 replacement signings, saying we should have brought in loans ,but hindsight's a wonderful thing. He backed his coach to the hilt - if he'd overruled ,I've no doubt some would have accused him of meddling. Seems to me he get's blasted when he's perceived to be meddling, and torpedoed when he doesn't.

Just had a trip down memory lane, finding Page 189 of Rams Talk. Some might not want to read 'Thanks Big Sam' or 'Next target on our list: Patience'.

Don't know where all those brilliant signings went to. I just know that if I could be bothered to find threads relating to the Bradders and Butters signings, I'd find posts about how we were going to romp the league (because I've got a good memory).

Mind you, fans can always describe signings as brilliant, only to come back years later to show us where we went wrong - it's their privilege.

8 hours ago, Rample said:

A younger striker to inject energy and work off Vydra - fail

Winnall? Maybe not younger, but I suspect he would have been starting, with Nuge and Jerome as options of whether we need to run them ragged or brute force the opposition

Archived