Player ratings over the 2017/18 season?

Rample

Seems to be an increase over recent weeks of complaints about players having too many 6/10s so thought I'd start a thread about average season ratings, stats also included below in starts (sub appearances) goals format.

May be easier to say:-

Above average: Carson, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone, Vydra - possibly Palmer

Below average: Forsyth, Johnson, Thorne, Jerome

Goalkeeper

Scott Carson 43 (0)  - 8/10

Jonathan Mitchell 2 (0) - 6/10

Defender

Richard Keogh 39 (0) 1 - 7/10

Andre Wisdom 27 (1) 0 - 6/10

Alex Pearce 7 (1) 1 - 6/10

Curtis Davies 42 (0) 1 - 7/10

Craig Forsyth 29 (0) 0 - 5/10

Marcus Olsson 12 (1) 0 - 6/10

Midfielder

Kasey Palmer 2 (11) 2 - 7/10

Ikechi Anya 4 (5) 0 - 6/10

Chris Baird 22 (1) 0 - 6/10

Bradley Johnson 21 (8) 4 - 5/10

George Thorne 11 (11) 0 - 5/10

Joe Ledley 23 (2) 1 - 6.5/10

Max Bird 1 (0) 0 - N/A

Tom Huddlestone 41 (0) 2 - 7/10

Jamie Hanson 0 (4) 0 - N/A

Tom Lawrence 34 (4) 5 - 6/10

Andreas Weimann 30 (7) 5 - 6/10

Luke Thomas 0 (2) 0 - N/A

Johnny Russell 15 (10) 6 - 6/10

Craig Bryson 1 (4) 1 - 6/10

Jacob Butterfield 3 (1) 0 - 6/10

Striker

Sam Winnall 7 (11) 6 - 6.5/10

Matej Vydra 34 (4) 20 - 7.5/10

David Nugent 28 (7) 7 - 6/10

Cameron Jerome 5 (10) 1 - 5/10

Chris Martin 6 (19) 1 - 6/10

Mason Bennett 3 (3) 1 - 6/10

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are we comparing to here, other teams or rating players against each other.

For me 5 is an average score yet you have nobody scoring lower than that? 

Presumably you haven't ever contributed to the ratings then? I haven't I must admit. But I would expect that there is a whole heap of confirmation bias in scoring. ie, we win - they all score well, we lose then most don't. And we have won or drawn many more than we have lost this season.

Anyhow, boring stats theory aside, why was Keogh dropped as according to these statistics, he is towards the top end of our performers......:whistle:

It's a difficult one this, because I suppose if you was to average out every player over the season then none of them would score that badly. I think they've all had periods. Also, not to jump on the Rowett Out bandwagon, but I think some players haven't had it easy due to the tactics. Lawrence, for example, he's been asked to do one hell of a job due to the way we play. He's rarely had the ball played into feet & he's rarely had options to pass the ball. He's usually isolated and asked to do too much before he's even made his first touch. It's exactly why certain players flourish when they move clubs. 

I'm in too minds to judge a player on how they've done for us in the current system and then judge them on how their presence in the team has impacted on us being a better team. For me, we're half the team without Keogh. We simply forget playing football, because we don't/can't play it out from the back. 

Hugely subjective, of course, but here's my end of term report, for what it's worth:

Goalkeeper

Scott Carson - Best stopper in the division 8.5

Jonathan Mitchell - seen nothing of the lad tbh N/A

Defender

Richard Keogh - Has cracked under pressure a couple of times but solid for the most part - 7.5

Andre Wisdom - A disappointing season IMO - 5.5

Alex Pearce - Just OK from admittedly limited opportunities - 6

Curtis Davies - The single best value signing since Chris Martin arrived on a free -8.5

Craig Forsyth - Left back has been a problem position all season with nobody really performing - 4.5

Marcus Olsson - Some OK performances, some not so much - 5

Midfielder

Kasey Palmer - Breath of fresh air - should be starting every game even if he can only make 60 minutes - 8

Ikechi Anya - Just OK - likeable but nothing out of the ordinary - 5

Chris Baird - Has done well for us but has been woeful played at left back - 6

Bradley Johnson - SHould be playing rugby - 4

George Thorne - taking a while to recover full fitness - I've still got faith - 5

Joe Ledley - Rock like - keeps it simple and not as prone to errors as most - 7

Max Bird - N/A

Tom Huddlestone - A Rolls Royce of a player - lacks a yard but his passing ability is a joy to watch - 7.5

Jamie Hanson - Maybe his energy has been underused this year? There's promise but it needs to be delivered on - 5

Tom Lawrence - Immense promise but his confidence is highly fragile - next season is make or break - 5.5

Andreas Weimann - Love Andy - the hardest worker on the team and has improved a little this year - 6

Luke Thomas - Would have loved to have seen more of the lad this year, as he looks a proper talent - N/A

Johnny Russell - Much maligned but I think in his absence folk now see what he brought to the team - 6

Craig Bryson - Playing for some outfit of ***** in Wales so no idea really - N/A

Jacob Butterfield - Used to back this fella but it turns out he's a massive bell - 0

Striker

Sam Winnall - His injury was a massive blow. The only real dog in the team and how we've missed him - 7

Matej Vydra - Grumpy but a class act - His goals have rather glossed over the cracks - 8

David Nugent - Works hard but his game is based around speed and workrate and he's struggled over a long season - 5

Cameron Jerome - Hoped Cam would add some fight, how wrong I was - 4

Chris Martin - Appears thoroughly disheartened these days. Not sure I blame him either - N/A

Mason Bennett - Has not really taken his opportunities - 5

13 hours ago, Rample said:

Defender

Richard Keogh 39 (0) 1 - 7/10

Andre Wisdom 27 (1) 0 - 6/10

Alex Pearce 7 (1) 1 - 6/10

Curtis Davies 42 (0) 1 - 7/10

Craig Forsyth 29 (0) 0 - 5/10

Marcus Olsson 12 (1) 0 - 6/10

Is it just me or does that seem remarkably low in terms of scoring from our defenders? I know that's the last job they have on the pitch but surely that's one of the worst returns in the league? No goals from full back isn't really surprising as none of them get in the opposition box often enough but the centre back stats are worrying to say they're meant to be the best in the air. 

18 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are we comparing to here, other teams or rating players against each other.

For me 5 is an average score yet you have nobody scoring lower than that? 

10 being class above, 1 being as bad as any player we've had. For me 6 is average.

17 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Butterfield & Lawrence get 6/10 - a mark and a half below Vydra who gets 7.5/10?.

Jerome & Forsyth get 5/10?.

Carson only 8??! Look at his face...

Screenshot_20180419-220739.thumb.jpg.e56d19d86e73b60046553aea46ebfb6b.jpg

That's the face of a 10/10 goalkeeper that is.

It averages out. Can't really call Butterfeet as he didn't play much. Lawrence has had a share of 5s but a few 7s to redress the balance.

Vydra has flattered to deceive a lot for me. I think that's a decent average over the season.

Carson easily the best and hampered by shoddy defending.

Carson has been great his whole time at Derby. Hope he stays.

In the early season when we ‘weathered’ attacks from other teams before nicking the winner, looking at highlights you can see Carson is our saviour time and time again. Stunning saves and all round decent keeping from a really top bloke.

No matter what, he’s the one player I want to see at Derby next season.

21 hours ago, 86 points said:

Hugely subjective, of course, but here's my end of term report, for what it's worth:

Goalkeeper

Scott Carson - Best stopper in the division 8.5

Jonathan Mitchell - seen nothing of the lad tbh N/A

Defender

Richard Keogh - Has cracked under pressure a couple of times but solid for the most part - 7.5

Andre Wisdom - A disappointing season IMO - 5.5

Alex Pearce - Just OK from admittedly limited opportunities - 6

Curtis Davies - The single best value signing since Chris Martin arrived on a free -8.5

Craig Forsyth - Left back has been a problem position all season with nobody really performing - 4.5

Marcus Olsson - Some OK performances, some not so much - 5

Midfielder

Kasey Palmer - Breath of fresh air - should be starting every game even if he can only make 60 minutes - 8

Ikechi Anya - Just OK - likeable but nothing out of the ordinary - 5

Chris Baird - Has done well for us but has been woeful played at left back - 6

Bradley Johnson - SHould be playing rugby - 4

George Thorne - taking a while to recover full fitness - I've still got faith - 5

Joe Ledley - Rock like - keeps it simple and not as prone to errors as most - 7

Max Bird - N/A

Tom Huddlestone - A Rolls Royce of a player - lacks a yard but his passing ability is a joy to watch - 7.5

Jamie Hanson - Maybe his energy has been underused this year? There's promise but it needs to be delivered on - 5

Tom Lawrence - Immense promise but his confidence is highly fragile - next season is make or break - 5.5

Andreas Weimann - Love Andy - the hardest worker on the team and has improved a little this year - 6

Luke Thomas - Would have loved to have seen more of the lad this year, as he looks a proper talent - N/A

Johnny Russell - Much maligned but I think in his absence folk now see what he brought to the team - 6

Craig Bryson - Playing for some outfit of ***** in Wales so no idea really - N/A

Jacob Butterfield - Used to back this fella but it turns out he's a massive bell - 0

Striker

Sam Winnall - His injury was a massive blow. The only real dog in the team and how we've missed him - 7

Matej Vydra - Grumpy but a class act - His goals have rather glossed over the cracks - 8

David Nugent - Works hard but his game is based around speed and workrate and he's struggled over a long season - 5

Cameron Jerome - Hoped Cam would add some fight, how wrong I was - 4

Chris Martin - Appears thoroughly disheartened these days. Not sure I blame him either - N/A

Mason Bennett - Has not really taken his opportunities - 5

Not a popular view I know, but I think Butterfield is a good player though he has only infrequently shown it here. Unfortunately we have an uncanny knack of buying players 'cause they're good, then playing them in different roles when they get here and wondering why they look half the player.

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

Not a popular view I know, but I think Butterfield is a good player though he has only infrequently shown it here. Unfortunately we have an uncanny knack of buying players 'cause they're good, then playing them in different roles when they get here and wondering why they look half the player.

Agreed but he lost me when he started bitching about the club the moment he went out on loan. Seem to recall one snipe was that he'd be used properly with the Wendies but he's not exactly torn up trees there either has he?

He gets a 0 for acting like such a knob but then I did open up my post by admitting it would be 'hugely subjective' :lol:

Archived