Social Media

Day

JD Wetherspoon have closed all their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts due to online trolling and abuse directed at MP's and others.

They also claim it's a move over concerns of privacy and the addictive nature of social media.

Will others follow and have we ruined social media?

Thoughts....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

JD Wetherspoon have closed all their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts due to online trolling and abuse directed at MP's and others.

They also claim it's a move over concerns of privacy and the addictive nature of social media.

Will others follow and have we ruined social media?

Thoughts....

Cost cutting dressed up as a 'public good' move to get some positive PR.

Very short sighted and a dreadful mistake.

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Speaking of ‘abuse’ directed towards MP’s, Diane Abbott has reported one twitter user to the police for asking Corbyn to behead her with a lightsaber.

Its probably time for a lightsaber amnesty really. And a Corbyn amnesty. Dangerous times.

The amount of racist abuse she receives online is appalling; she needs to spend more time on this forum to be reassured that it’s not really happening. 

I’m with you on light sabers tho. 

40 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

The amount of racist abuse she receives online is appalling; she needs to spend more time on this forum to be reassured that it’s not really happening. 

I’m with you on light sabers tho. 

I take people saying they’ve been victim of abuse on Twitter with a pinch of salt. See fellow Labour MP Jess Philips using people saying they wouldn’t rape her as an excuse to play victim, which is precisely what the people who tweeted her knew she would do. And with Abbott and racism it takes one to know one.

I don’t think Corbyn should be allowed anywhere near a lightsaber. He looks too much like Obi-Wan Kenobi and he thinks he has the (moral) high ground.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

An excuse?

Yes an excuse. She had prior history of calling the police for rape threats that weren’t actually rape threats. Along with Yvette Cooper she had already established the ‘Reclaim the Internet’ campaign in which they attempted to police the internet, misrepresenting statistics in order to further her agenda of censoring people they didn’t like.

So here she found herself being trolled by hundreds of people deliberately telling her that they wouldn’t rape her, knowing full well she would prove their point and complain about these provocative but deliberately non-abusive tweets as though they were abusive. In some media reports these deliberate declarations that Jess Phillips would not be raped were characterised as ...... “rape threats”. ?‍♂️ 

This received no correction from Phillips. This demonstrates that Phillips and her ilk cannot be trusted to police the internet as they will lie and lie by omission. They cannot be trusted to define what is a threat and what is not a threat. Because before you know it you’ll get calls for bans on lightsabers and Nazi pugs and... 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

I wonder how many male MPs have been told they won’t be raped. 

I don’t know. But if you insist on turning it into another thread about how oppressed women are I’d like to point out that I do know Pew research shows that males are more likely to receive threats online than females, and usually threats to be killed, which is actually worse than being raped. And offline they are more likely to be on the receiving end of actual violent acts as well. Jess Phillips would probably find that as amusing as she finds men comitting suicide though.

She’s a classic example of the type of person who’s more than happy playing the victim. I mean how much abuse and threats must Donald Trump get and why do I suspect nobody cares?

People like Abbott, Phillips and famous culture warriors that want to control social media like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn can beat be summed up by this picture.

2ngu9i0.jpg

If this does mark the beginning of the demise of social media, or at least a slow or partial drift back to 'real-world' activities, this means I'll be obliged to once again take up foul practices like going to the pub and house parties.

Christ! They'll be expecting us to read those book thingies next. 

15 hours ago, StringerBell said:

People like Abbott, Phillips and famous culture warriors that want to control social media like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn can beat be summed up by this picture.

Clearly the notion of controlling social media is counter-productive. You argue well for free speech, but that is just as counter-productive

On social media there are words, controversial words, REALLY controversial words and then threatening/deeply and deliberately offensive words.

Are these really ALL ok?

Surely there isn't a single person on the internet that doesn't want it to be a nice place where everyone stays the right side of the line?

Yet there are an awful lot of people out there who don't think twice about posting abuse onto the social media of those they don't agree with. Dogmatically arguing for free speech and trying to take down anyone who you perceive as trying to control social media lays out an open goal for those that seek to abuse

What is your answer?

31 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Clearly the notion of controlling social media is counter-productive. You argue well for free speech, but that is just as counter-productive

On social media there are words, controversial words, REALLY controversial words and then threatening/deeply and deliberately offensive words.

Are these really ALL ok?

Surely there isn't a single person on the internet that doesn't want it to be a nice place where everyone stays the right side of the line?

Yet there are an awful lot of people out there who don't think twice about posting abuse onto the social media of those they don't agree with. Dogmatically arguing for free speech and trying to take down anyone who you perceive as trying to control social media lays out an open goal for those that seek to abuse

What is your answer?

It's amazing how quickly a thin veil of anonymity can cancel that statement out.

If social media forced everyone on it to verify themselves and display their full name most of the internet trolls would shrink back in to silence because they are too cowardly to put their name to the absolute arse gravy they come out with.

Archived