How strong is our squad in reality?

CapeTownRams

Much talk about how great our squad is etc. To be honest I am not convinced when you look at the  quality of our players across the division that it’s that strong a squad. Numbers maybe, but quality,,,,?...

So, taking a clean sheet of paper and having regard to what we have spent on players and can realistically afford to do so now, who would you choose from our existing squad if you had a choice and  when comparing what we could get in the Championship ? Obviously a few u might take as ‘squad players’ but first team starters is another matter....

In my view it’s only a few players.....

Carson, Keogh, Davies, Vydra........yes....

Erm....erm....?.....

George as a squad player ? Don’t mind Joe and Hudds but not if I had other choices. Fozzy ? Maybe if it was the pre injury version but probably not now....

Weimann ? Nope. Lawrence? From what I have seen thus far I reckon we could do far better elsewhere for the money. Bradley ? Nope, better elsewhere for the money. Nuge ? Three months ago yes..... not sure now. CamJam ? Maybe too early to say but possible squad player.

Baird ? Been gd this season overall.......short term 1 season yes...maybe....

Have to say when I look at it more and more I come away with the feeling that our much talked-about quality squad is a bit of a paper tiger.....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You are getting swayed by our recent form. Relax and we'll see what our team can do. :D

We are seeing that. Vydra was our talisman and goalscorer in chief. His goals have stopped and with it our apparent promotion chasing reputation.

27 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

We are seeing that. Vydra was our talisman and goalscorer in chief. His goals have stopped and with it our apparent promotion chasing reputation.

We have a better than average championship squad.  Vyds is one game into a barren run!  Perhaps it will be just 1 game

I think we have a fairly strong squad for this league but if we were to go up it will need massive investment and restructuring. How many of our current line up would you be happy with fielding in the premier? 

All our loanees will be coming back this summer so Gary has a hell  of a job to do either way.

Football isn't as easy as just writing 11 good players on a piece of paper and seeing how things go.

For the first time in a while we are nearly at a stage where we have 11 players playing in positions that suit them.

So looking how Derby play, who would you have that could seamlessly slot into a position?

On 2/14/2018 at 21:54, caymanram said:

Much talk about how great our squad is etc. To be honest I am not convinced when you look at the  quality of our players across the division that it’s that strong a squad. Numbers maybe, but quality,,,,?...

So, taking a clean sheet of paper and having regard to what we have spent on players and can realistically afford to do so now, who would you choose from our existing squad if you had a choice and  when comparing what we could get in the Championship ? Obviously a few u might take as ‘squad players’ but first team starters is another matter....

In my view it’s only a few players.....

Carson, Keogh, Davies, Vydra........yes....

Erm....erm....?.....

George as a squad player ? Don’t mind Joe and Hudds but not if I had other choices. Fozzy ? Maybe if it was the pre injury version but probably not now....

Weimann ? Nope. Lawrence? From what I have seen thus far I reckon we could do far better elsewhere for the money. Bradley ? Nope, better elsewhere for the money. Nuge ? Three months ago yes..... not sure now. CamJam ? Maybe too early to say but possible squad player.

Baird ? Been gd this season overall.......short term 1 season yes...maybe....

Have to say when I look at it more and more I come away with the feeling that our much talked-about quality squad is a bit of a paper tiger.....

We probably have a top six squad if GR makes the right decisions on team selection. Not sure about top top 2. We will find out out soon enough. 

Archived