Kick up the...

COYR

I was secretly hoping we'd lose tonight (obviously if we couldn't win) but I think this loss will do us much more of a favour in the coming games than a draw would, even maybe a 1-0 scrappy win. For weeks now we've looked happy to get points especially in games at home against lower opposition and it's not what a top two side should be doing, we should be trying to win every game as a priority instead of just being relaxed with a draw. fingers crossed we can beat leeds and get back on track.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, COYR said:

I was secretly hoping we'd lose tonight (obviously if we couldn't win) but I think this loss will do us much more of a favour in the coming games than a draw would, even maybe a 1-0 scrappy win. For weeks now we've looked happy to get points especially in games at home against lower opposition and it's not what a top two side should be doing, we should be trying to win every game as a priority instead of just being relaxed with a draw. fingers crossed we can beat leeds and get back on track.

Understand what your saying however I believe we are lacking fire power. 4/5 weeks ago we had strikers who couldn't even make the bench. We had wingers fighting for only two positions. Now after the January window we have two strikers who between them have hardly played since Christmas. A winger in Anya who was an outcast several months ago but now one of our main threats. Think GR has missed a trick in the January window but having said that, the GR way is probably more suited going up through the play offs. 

Just now, Charlie G said:

Understand what your saying however I believe we are lacking fire power. 4/5 weeks ago we had strikers who couldn't even make the bench. We had wingers fighting for only two positions. Now after the January window we have two strikers who between them have hardly played since Christmas. A winger in Anya who was an outcast several months ago but now one of our main threats. Think GR has missed a trick in the January window but having said that, the GR way is probably more suited going up through the play offs. 

Good points that sum up where we are.

Whilst nobody could predict the winnall injury, our actions in the window increased the risk, should an injury occur.

16 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Good points that sum up where we are.

Whilst nobody could predict the winnall injury, our actions in the window increased the risk, should an injury occur.

And now we have two 30 odd year old as center forwards who look unlikely to score many at all so if Vydra doesn’t turn up we are going to struggle

Winnall may be a bigger loss than Rowett thinks at the moment.

Getting rid of so many seasoned players may have unsettled some players into thinking that they will be next to go and they would like to stay even if in the Championship and I for one would not think that unusual.

Just now, Sparkle said:

And now we have two 30 odd year old as center forwards who look unlikely to score many at all so if Vydra doesn’t turn up we are going to struggle

Exactly. I wrote somewhere else that we have been more reliant on vydra this year than we were on ince last year.

Yet last year was a mess and this year has been Gary Rowett coming of age and his dawn of managerial greatness. 

30 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Yes to most of that but having sat there tonight we couldn’t score for toffee.

Sure we had no breaks but no way are the play offs desirable, as on tonight’s showing we could quite easily have one of those games.

Think our wheels are wobbling, we’ll get back on track but I’m not looking forward to the prospect of play offs.

Right then,time to reset and hope that Gary doesn't panic but learns and adapts.

This should really do us good...we have played too safe lately and lost our edge and I think gr grew a little cocksure with his decision making....letting Russell And Martin wander off when we really needed to retain their experience in the run in to the end of the season was an error that became apparent within a few days..

Hopefully we can pick up some form and at the very least hang on into the playoffs.

Personally I was hoping for a comfortable win, and putting the pressure back on Villa.  The result was not good, the performance was not good, the manager was not good in both his team selection and subs, it’s not a kick up the backside it’s 3 points thrown away in the promotion race.

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Personally I was hoping for a comfortable win, and putting the pressure back on Villa.  The result was not good, the performance was not good, the manager was not good in both his team selection and subs, it’s not a kick up the backside it’s 3 points thrown away in the promotion race.

Yep for all the it’s only 1 game, first defeat in, since November etc

Sure cut Gaz, the team some slack, it’s  just a wobble. There is no getting away from that, on reflection it still feels disappointing as the Owls were bang average AND I’m still bloody cold!!

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I'm not sure it is a wobble. 

14 points in 9 games is a sustained run of mid-table form. 

Its starting to look like 5th place to me.

Yeah, despite last night being the first defeat in ages I haven't been convinced by performances in 2018.

Maybe the Brum game was an exception, but they had a spell early on when they hit the post, could have been different had that gone in.

The Brentford game was also fairly even until the sending off.

All the others could have gone either way to be fair.

In all honesty I think GR has had this squad over achieving & they are now slowly dropping back to their level.

It would have to take a monumental collapse, a la 2014/15, for us to fail to reach the play offs from here though.

13 hours ago, Rampage said:

Winnall may be a bigger loss than Rowett thinks at the moment.

Getting rid of so many seasoned players may have unsettled some players into thinking that they will be next to go and they would like to stay even if in the Championship and I for one would not think that unusual.

You think players would sabotage promotion to stay at Derby in the championship?

On 2/14/2018 at 08:23, AdamRam said:

I was hoping for a win against a weakened Sheff Wed, but never for a minute did I think it could be a comfortable one. Of course the unbeaten run had to end and with Cardiff & Villa doing well, it would be a matter of time before we succumbed. Wouldn't be surprised to see Villa beat Fulham this weekend if I'm honest. We will see what our lads are made of in the next couple of games. I don't expect capitulation, but they look nervy to me.... 

On 2/14/2018 at 12:09, Ramchop said:

You think players would sabotage promotion to stay at Derby in the championship?

No.

It is unsettling when your friends move on, especially if you thought that they were good players.

Most people are affected to some degree  in all walks of life when this happens

Every season, one or clubs stop winning games when there is uncertainty at their club eg managerial changes, takeovers etc.

Just an opinion, Ramchop. If anyone could solve these kind of matters, i am sure that they would.

The experience at Derby County will mean that with two games to go, we will be in with a chance of automatic promotion.

We may have to beat Aston Villa to stand a chance on the last day of the season. COYR.

Archived