Give Thomas a go...?

FolkStar85

1 minute ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

I get the impression that this management team aren't really interested in trying youth players here. 

I don’t think Thomas is ready just yet .

I though Elsnik definitely was which is why I  was a surprised when he got loaned out. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, curtains said:

I don’t think Thomas is ready just yet .

I though Elsnik definitely was which is why I  was a surprised when he got loaned out. 

Exactly. I was shocked too, good to see that he is performing so well elsewhere though, definitely useful for him to be building confidence and ability. Will be a real talent in the future hopefully for us.

He might get a go if one of the wingers gets injured, only likely to get a start if both Weimann and Anya get injured though because Palmer and Lawrence don’t really offer the pace on the counter that Thomas would.

Rowett’s all about experience and caution. We have 17 games (?) left, where every game is indeed a must win. Doubt we’ll be experimenting with Thomas any time soon. Be fantastic if he was actually up for it but I think we’d have seen more than a ten minute cameo if he was noticeably better than the senior players in training. An automatic promotion push isn’t the time to chuck in a youth player.

Shame he didn’t go out on loan. If we don’t go up, one plus will be that we have a bunch of youth players proving themselves out on loan and they could play themselves into our first team plans. Right now you’d say Elsnik looks like the pick of the bunch but he’s still only really performed in League 2.

Utilising academy prospects is a great way to stay sustainable though. If we don’t have to get a fourth choice winger in next year because Thomas/Elsnik are ready to make the step up, it means we can spend big on just one winger like Lawrence again. Same goes for Guy/Hanson and the midfield plus maybe even Vernam for an attacking role.

My head says they’ll come back and get sent on loans to a league up from where they are now though.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, europia said:

Could have done with a wire transmitting 3000 volts on Saturday. 

Too right I feel we are in danger of going a bit flat and it could really dent our promotion hopes don't get me wrong we have done amazingly so far but now is time to really ramp it up a notch and throw everything at the final run of games which is why I was a little disappointed we didn' get a really good quality winger in the window. Anyhow it didn't happen so that spark will have to come from us fans and starting from tomorrow night I will be shouting my head off from start to finish. Come on Derby! 

Think rowett and wassel will know best whether he is ready to be part of a promotion chasing team and all the pressure that puts you under ,, it’s more than just ability ( if he has enough) you have to put a little thought into his sub appearance where he got his instructions then promptly went to play on the wrong side ,, now that’s not a pop at the lad but it could be a little pointer that he is still a little young mentally to be thrown in specially in a situation where big crowds are hoping/expecting him to come in and be a spark that pushes us to promotion ,, just saying that it could be very damaging to the lads development as well as the team to throw him in to early ,it’s more than just saying he is performing very well in the under 23s

Young Thomas is one of them players, like Vydra, Kinky and Commons who seem to run with the ball glued to their foot. 

Hes got great control at speed and can pick out another player whilst running into the box at full pelt, unlike some first teamers.

I hope he gets a chance, because if we do go up I fear some of the young uns will get over looked with the pressure of the staying in the premiership.

Archived